Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stephan A, are you this blind?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Weren't the Steelers #1 (or close) on offensive 3rd down conversions until Ben got injured???
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Well Stephen Smith is a toolbag...almost as bad as Bayless. He is more interested in the volume of his words than the content. That said, Bayless totally baited Richard Sherman yesterday on First Take. Sherman came off looking like an unintelligent azz. But how EPSN thinks putting those two on the air together twice a day is a good idea is beyond me.
    I thought it was great entertainment. I dont think Sherman sounded unintelligent.. he just trash talked a trash talker. If you google it everyone is saying Skip got roasted or a taste of his own medicine.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRjBhbH3y38&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/url]
    Last edited by feltdizz; 03-08-2013 at 07:53 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    I thought it was great entertainment. I dont think Sherman sounded unintelligent.. he just trash talked a trash talker. If you google it everyone is saying Skip got roasted or a taste of his own medicine.

[URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRjBhbH3y38&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/URL]
    Dont get me wrong, I love it anytime that anyone talks crap back at Bayless. But I just think Sherman took it directly to a personal level immediately. Bayless baited him and he took it. I cant really decide who I would rather punch in the face if I had a choice of only one between Bayless and Smith.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Let's not pretend they don't rush the ball a lot and do those stupid WR bubble routes that are just like a rushing play. You don't think that had a lot to do with TOP? Now, realize I said "rush the ball a lot" - not "rush the ball well." With rushing the ball and bubble screens, the clock keeps ticking, even if you aren't moving it very far or very much. You mentioned scoring; did you know where Pgh rated in scoring? 22nd. That is not even near the middle of the pack. In other words, their offense pretty much sucked.
    you can't even keep track of your own nonsense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lebeau's defense is predicated on bend don't break
    Dude you talk out of your hiney

Administrator

User Info Menu

Early in the season is when we dominated TOP if I remember correctly. From mid-year on it seemed like we struggled to even get a first down.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    just admit you made another dumb statement.

2nd in the league in time of possession. You do understand what that means, right?

you make me laugh.
    the stats are skewed. If anything Stephen A is correct. Our offense was a turnover machine. how many times did we fumble or throw a pick on our side of the 50? With all the turnovers we had, we should have been last in scoring, but we weren't

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    the stats are skewed. If anything Stephen A is correct. Our offense was a turnover machine. how many times did we fumble or throw a pick on our side of the 50? With all the turnovers we had, we should have been last in scoring, but we weren't
    Yeah, nine turnovers in the first nine games, and 21 turnovers in the last seven games. The offense went from averaging one turnover per game to three turnovers per game. Once Roethlisberger got hurt, the wheels just flew off the offense. It makes sense, though, considering his ability to convert third downs was the only thing that kept it going, really.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/PGH061Asmall.jpg
    Pittsburgh, PA: City of Champions.

Starter

User Info Menu

Some questions on this topic of TOP.

Does a player sitting his butt on the bench for 35 or 40 seconds get any more or less rest if the clock is running or the clock is stopped.

NFL games usually last from 1 till some time after 4. Plus 3 hours. TOP of course is the actual time each team possesses the ball while the clock is running and should add up to 60 minutes. [Someone should call nfl.com and notify them that there are not 100 seconds in a minute]

Anyway you see games the TOP is 31-29 33-27 etc. Usually TS are on the big end of this. And it is generally accepted as absolute gospel that this contributes to the D's success. I must agree with this and also agree with the reason given which is they are more rested.

But after all, the games do not last 60 minutes. What if the other team throws 10 more incomplete passes than TS. Is that not at least 400+seconds their D is sitting watching the proceedings? That is almost 7 minutes they are also resting while TS are also resting I guess waiting for them to do something else but at least they are standing up. So I guess that would be another question. Is sitting down watching the action more restful than standing around watching the same thing? This is out of my area of expertise so I defer to more knowledgeable fans on this type thing.

Next year for sure when I am watching the games I am going to keep track of exactly how much "down time" each D really has in the 3plus hours the game is on. It is just possible that the team's defense with the lesser TOP number actually is watching more than TS. Good grief! If that actually is the case then what the heck is going to be the reason for the D's success then?

There are other consideration here also. What about timeouts. If TS call a defensive timeout doesn't the other teams D get an extra 30 seconds or so rest? There must be other factors which go into actual real time minutes and seconds each defense is supposedly resting. Can anyone think of any? Hmm! Not sure but maybe TOP as the reason for the success of TS D these past years is not solely based on this factor.

Starter

User Info Menu

lloydroid said "Maybe he was trying to say they are a decent D but not a great D....but that's not what he said."

Yeah! Usually when they say it's a bend but don't break D they are really saying the D is not so good but somehow??? it manages to get away with it. It is sort of what they call a left handed or negative compliment.

I must agree with you on this one lloyd TS D is more break than bend. Two or three times in the past half dozen years they were #1 in Pass D. I am not so sure that getting a few minutes more rest than some of the other D's in the league is really the primary reason for this.