Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Stephan A, are you this blind?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Both of you guys are missing the point of what a bend don't break defense is. It means you don't give up big plays. You force more fgs than tds. Between the 20's you let plays happen in front of you and you don't let's players get behind you. Give a ten yard cushion, make the tackle and wait for the other team to make a mistake. Eventually it will. You can be #1 in defense or #32 it doesn't matter.

Legend

User Info Menu

There is something to be said about the T.O.P. stat... IIRC, they were 2nd in the leage in TOP... That does mean the offense gave an assist to the defens on this..

IMO, this past year, they would bend AND break... there were a couple of games where the team needed the ball back and the D couldn't get a stop at the end of the game.

What #1 defense statistically doesn't show is WHEN they gave up yards.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's final Mock
    1.20 - Tailiese Fuaga, OT, Oregon St
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Luke Mccaffery, WR, Rice
    3.98 - Andru Phillips, CB, Kentucky
    4.117 - Maason Smith, DT, LSU
    6.178 - Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Dillon Johnson, RB, Washington

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    There is something to be said about the T.O.P. stat... IIRC, they were 2nd in the leage in TOP... That does mean the offense gave an assist to the defens on this..

IMO, this past year, they would bend AND break... there were a couple of games where the team needed the ball back and the D couldn't get a stop at the end of the game.

What #1 defense statistically doesn't show is WHEN they gave up yards.
    How much bending is a D doing when it is the #1 DEFENSE in giving up yards? That means they do less bending than ANY TEAM IN THE NFL. Now, we can debate how GOOD the D is, even with the #1 rating, but it can't be possibly argued that the D was a bend but don't break D. That is absurd.

Legend

User Info Menu

Got it... So, I assume you believe Jason Gildon is the best Steelers OLB ever... brilliant!
    Last edited by SteelerOfDeVille; 03-10-2013 at 04:15 PM.

DeVille's final Mock

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Got it... So, I assume you believe Jason Gildon is the best Steelers OLB ever... brilliant!
    I believe you just offered a non sequitur, but let me bridge the gap in the sequence. If by offering the above you are trying to say that stats can be misleading, let me say, at one point Gildon was one of the best LBs we have ever had. Or else, how does he own the sack record? Now, in addition to that, he also had 2 seasons where he was virtually worthless, but that does not discount that he had plenty of productive seasons as well. 77 sacks as a Steeler. More than anyone else.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I believe you just offered a non sequitur, but let me bridge the gap in the sequence. If by offering the above you are trying to say that stats can be misleading, let me say, at one point Gildon was one of the best LBs we have ever had. Or else, how does he own the sack record? Now, in addition to that, he also had 2 seasons where he was virtually worthless, but that does not discount that he had plenty of productive seasons as well. 77 sacks as a Steeler. More than anyone else.
    Stats, can be misleading, you got it. You leaned heavily on #1 defense and discounted any other possibility in this discussion. At his best, Gildon wasn't one of the 5 best OLBs this team has had... yet, he is #1 statistically.

To legitimize this discussion, you have at least concede that situation, score and time of possesion and a number of other factors all influnce play calling, which ultimately influence the stats.

For example, as a second year player, Ben was called a game manager by those who thought stats told the whole story. Those who watched the game realized that he'd come out, have 150 yards and 2 TDs by halftime, lead the team to a 3 score lead, then Bill Cowher would then switch to a run heavy offense to preserve the victory. If you simply looked at the stats you might miss the fact that Ben was already elite and say he was on par with the Trent Dilfers of the world as the talking heads did.

DeVille's final Mock

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Stats, can be misleading, you got it. You leaned heavily on #1 defense and discounted any other possibility in this discussion. At his best, Gildon wasn't one of the 5 best OLBs this team has had... yet, he is #1 statistically.

To legitimize this discussion, you have at least concede that situation, score and time of possesion and a number of other factors all influnce play calling, which ultimately influence the stats.

For example, as a second year player, Ben was called a game manager by those who thought stats told the whole story. Those who watched the game realized that he'd come out, have 150 yards and 2 TDs by halftime, lead the team to a 3 score lead, then Bill Cowher would then switch to a run heavy offense to preserve the victory. If you simply looked at the stats you might miss the fact that Ben was already elite and say he was on par with the Trent Dilfers of the world as the talking heads did.
    I KNOW stats can be misleading. But the bottom line is that no D ranked #1 in giving up yards can be accurately described as "bend but don't break." If they were even middle of the pack, it would be more likely to be appropriate, but we are talking about the TOP ranked D in yards. They weren't 25th, or 20th or even 15th. They were #1. That tells me that teams had trouble moving the ball on them, period. Of course, they got shredded at the worst possible times, like vs. Oak, SD, Dallas, Cinci. But over all, they were the #1 D in not giving up yards for the year.