Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steeler player news

Rookie

User Info Menu

Steeler player news

The Pittsburgh Steelers have offered restricted free-agent WR Emmanuel Sanders the lowest tender. Sanders would receive a one-year deal worth $1.323 million if he signs the tender. The team would receive a third-round draft choice if they lost him.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have offered restricted free-agent RB Jonathan Dwyer, RB Isaac Redman and DT Steve McLendon the lowest tender. Each player could receive a one-year deal worth $1.323 million if they signed their tender. The team could receive a sixth-round draft choice if they lost Dwyer and will have the right to match any offer Redman or McLendon receives this offseason.

The Pittsburgh Steelers did not tender offers to restricted free-agent LB Stevenson Sylvester and P Jeremy Kapinos, which will make them unrestricted free agents.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers give Steve McLendon, Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer low tenders in restricted free agency

By Neal Coolong on Mar 9 2013

Steve McLendon, Jonathan Dwyer and Isaac Redman all receive low-level tenders for $1.3 million in restricted free agency, meaning all three can be signed away without the Steelers receiving compensation.

It's been curious why the Steelers didn't seem particularly high on nose tackle Steve McLendon.

That question will get even more murkier now. The Steelers elected to give McLendon the right of first refusal level tender offer in restricted free agency, meaning McLendon will be paid $1.3 million guaranteed this season, but a team has an opportunity to sign McLendon to an offer sheet. If the Steelers choose to not match it, McLendon will leave without compensation.

On one hand, it seemingly doesn't matter. Teams rarely make offers for players in restricted free agency anyway, and while McLendon has shown some flashes of potential, particularly in rushing the passer, the fact he averaged around seven snaps a game last season and now this low level tender suggests the team doesn't feel he's worth the extra insurance - the second-round tender is $2 million.

McLendon is, right now, the likely starter at nose tackle this season.

Also receiving the low-level offers are the pair of RFA running backs, Isaac Redman and Jonathan Dwyer. Neither seemed able to pull away from the other despite getting roughly the same amount of carries this season. Both had outstanding performances at times, and looked sub-par in others.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/9/4083970/steelers-restricted-free-agency-tender-offer[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe they are not as sold on McLendon as we like to believe. Fangupo has a 4 year deal. Would not be surprised if a NT is added in this draft.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Administrator

User Info Menu

A true reality check for some fans that think we are better than what we are.

It's a bit of a reality check for me in regards to McClendon. I thought McClendon was highly regarded by the coaching staffs. In fact, I remember comments being made about him being underestimated.

I'll be honest.... we lost Harrison and we will most likely lose Mendenhall and Wallace. Hampton, Starks, and Foster aren't expected to be back either. We could lose Lewis as well.

Could we replace some of these guys ..... SURE! I have hope. Replacing all of these guys by next year? I'm not to sure about that. In all honesty, Cleveland and us could be fighting for last in the division.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When will Ta'amu find out his punishment?
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Johnathan Hankins in Round 1, anybody?
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    A true reality check for some fans that think we are better than what we are.

It's a bit of a reality check for me in regards to McClendon. I thought McClendon was highly regarded by the coaching staffs. In fact, I remember comments being made about him being underestimated.

I'll be honest.... we lost Harrison and we will most likely lose Mendenhall and Wallace. Hampton, Starks, and Foster aren't expected to be back either. We could lose Lewis as well.

Could we replace some of these guys ..... SURE! I have hope. Replacing all of these guys by next year? I'm not to sure about that. In all honesty, Cleveland and us could be fighting for last in the division.
    With all those players mentioned and Colbert said, " this team isn't in transition?

[url]http://images.zaazu.com/img/scratch-head03-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000416-large.gif[/url]
    Last edited by supersteeler; 03-09-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Too many good players on the roster to say the Steelers won't still be aiming for the play-offs. Any team that has Ben, Troy, Timmons, Woodley, Pouncey, Clark, Brown, Miller, Keisel, Taylor & a host of young up & comers like Allen, Sanders, Gilbert, Adams & DeCastro, not to mention guys that are expected to step up in Heyward, Hood & Worilds.

It's not like the Steelers haven't been preparing for this day, and it's not as if the team is suddenly introducing 10 new starters. Nearly every player lost will have a guy that took snaps the last few seasons moving in to replace them.

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Chadman;552335]Too many good players on the roster to say the Steelers won't still be aiming for the play-offs.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=jdUr5hF0yGc[/url] JK, Lol.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    With all those players mentioned and Colbert said, " this team isn't in transition?

[URL]http://images.zaazu.com/img/scratch-head03-idea-animated-animation-smiley-emoticon-000416-large.gif[/URL]
    He is in denial or straight up bullish!tting.
    @_Hellgrammite