Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I know this wont be popular but........

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know this wont be popular but........

..I would love for the Steelers to position themselves this draft in a way to be able to draft A.J. McCarron next year. If we were to give up a second this for a second first round pick next year we could have the chance of drafting next years best overall QB. Not to immediately replace Ben but to step into the starting spot at the end of Ben's contract. Or maybe even a year before the end of Ben's contract that enables the Steelers to gain back additional picks via a trade. And quite possible very high picks.

McCarron would be great for the Steelers. 3 year starter in the SEC. Great leader. Blue collar type. And he is a winner. This one move could make the Steelers a perennial contender for titles for 10-15 years.

67.2 % completion percentage 30 TD's 3 INT's and big game experience.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

First comment in his girlfriend in 3....2....1....

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great stats, great leader. Unbelievable NFL caliber talent all around him. He is a tough evaluation. At this point, I think he may be a little overrated. But, that's a tough one.

I would not give up a #2 this year as this is a fantastic draft and we can find a starter in the second round that can help us win now, with Ben.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

not popular

Starter

User Info Menu

I just don't understand comments like this.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8467thekraken View Post
    I just don't understand comments like this.
    It's ok you are right there with those Packers fans who were saying the same thing when they drafted Aaron Rodgers. You dont understand. Give it time, it will come to you.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Actually, this is one of the very few times I agree with DD. The way we are losing players, Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, Starks, Mendenhall and whoever else, I don't expect us to have a very good season. In fact, I see us going into full-blown rebuilding mode. I know some posters around here think that Ben can "John Wayne" this team to success but as we have seen the past couple of years, that ain't happening anymore! IMO, naturally Ben is slowing down and injuries will continue to take their toll. If this team doesn't make the playoffs again and that is a very real possibility, I think the FO would be crazy to extend him. The time is NOW to start looking for his replacement.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    Actually, this is one of the very few times I agree with DD. The way we are losing players, Harrison, Wallace, Lewis, Starks, Mendenhall and whoever else, I don't expect us to have a very good season. In fact, I see us going into full-blown rebuilding mode. I know some posters around here think that Ben can "John Wayne" this team to success but as we have seen the past couple of years, that ain't happening anymore! IMO, naturally Ben is slowing down and injuries will continue to take their toll. If this team doesn't make the playoffs again and that is a very real possibility, I think the FO would be crazy to extend him. The time is NOW to start looking for his replacement.
    No way! Ben is in the prime of his career. He'll get extended next year, I would be willing to wager... They will extend with 2 years remaining...

I would fully expect them to compete for the division title in 2013.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    No way! Ben is in the prime of his career. He'll get extended next year, I would be willing to wager... They will extend with 2 years remaining...

I would fully expect them to compete for the division title in 2013.
    That is an optimistic point of view. I agree that most QBs can play into their late 30's but we're talking about Ben, here. For practically all of his career he's played recklessly. You can't continue to get knocked around like that and expect to keep hopping back up like he did in his 20's. We've heard and said this a thousand times, until Ben starts respecting the cerebral aspect of the game and learns to play from the pocket, he's going to continue to take too many sacks and with those sacks come the injuries.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by williar View Post
    That is an optimistic point of view. I agree that most QBs can play into their late 30's but we're talking about Ben, here. For practically all of his career he's played recklessly. You can't continue to get knocked around like that and expect to keep hopping back up like he did in his 20's. We've heard and said this a thousand times, until Ben starts respecting the cerebral aspect of the game and learns to play from the pocket, he's going to continue to take too many sacks and with those sacks come the injuries.
    He was going this last season in Haley's offense. We were off to a 6-3 start and Ben was taking WAY less sacks than he usually does. Then a fluke hit against the Chiefs that could happen to any QB happened to derail everything.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.