Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 61

Thread: James Harrison might be released by Steelers

  1. #21
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    You're making an assumption there ("still better than almost every other 3/4 OLB in the NFL"). You are assuming that his slight uptick in production toward the end of the year wasn't circumstantial. The rest of the year, he was slow and plodding.

    Put it this way:
    In '98, Lloyd was cut--the club was right in letting him go
    In '08, Peezy was jettisoned--the club made the right choice
    This year, it's Harrison--I'm pretty sure the writing is on the wall.
    Explain what you mean by "circumstantial?" In my view, the circumstances were football games where he was getting healthy after knee surgery. The D played better toward the end of the year. Maybe that had nothing to do with him, but from what it looked, he was the primary driver of that.

    Again, just because the team got lucky after Porter or even Lloyd, doesn't mean they get lucky again. Let's hope they do.

  2. #22
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Explain what you mean by "circumstantial?" In my view, the circumstances were football games where he was getting healthy after knee surgery. The D played better toward the end of the year. Maybe that had nothing to do with him, but from what it looked, he was the primary driver of that.

    Again, just because the team got lucky after Porter or even Lloyd, doesn't mean they get lucky again. Let's hope they do.
    Your giving short shrift to Timmons, Cortez Allen, and Keenan Lewis as the reason for the improvement. Allen and Lewis played very well at the end of the season.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  3. #23
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    The drafting and personnel decisions over the past 5+ years has been very suspect.
    No it hasn't. Pgh is pimp at drafting. Just ask them, they will arrogantly tell you.

  4. #24
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    No it hasn't. Pgh is pimp at drafting. Just ask them, they will arrogantly tell you.
    Let's do the math. Last five years...two Super Bowl appearances. Yep, they have no reason to be confident.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  5. #25
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,106
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Your giving short shrift to Timmons, Cortez Allen, and Keenan Lewis as the reason for the improvement. Allen and Lewis played very well at the end of the season.
    That is not my intention. They had been playing well. As Deebo got healthier it appeared that they were freed up to be even stronger.

  6. #26
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,478
    The defense success last year was in large part because of the CB play. When you have 3 starting caliber CBs on the field....Good things happen. I keep hearing as he got better & healthy the defense got better. So when was he healthy? Would you say by week 11, 12, & 13 when he posted a sack in each of those games including a 7 TTs 1 SK 1 FF aginst the Ravens in week 13? 24 TT 3 SK 1 FF over three games....That looks healthy doesn't it? 7-5 after they beat the Ravens...Very much alive in must win playoff mode. So over the next three games (2 home & 1 away) Harrison recorded 10 TT 1 SK 1 FF....Total in three loses. Again, his only sack was a sack against the Bengals late in the 4th for 0 yards when a shogun snap was bad and Dalton ran to the LOS to keep them in FG range.

    When was he healthy? The meter went up and then fell back down in the red. It did that because a 35 year old with knee and back injuries just can't go for a whole season at the level needed to be productive. The Steelers aren't going to pay him his biggest contract year when he is not playing anywhere close to his contract. That pattern isn't going to get better over the next year and moving forward. As much as we would all hope, We will never see the James Harrison difference maker. He left the building in 2011...He won't be coming back. Saying it, admitting it, or seeing it isn't disrespecting Harrison. I would bow down to the great Harrison if I stood in front of him and give thanks to the memories and what he meant to the Steelers. But my focus and heart always is in the future...Not the past.



  7. #27
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,550
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    There is more responsibility playing OLB in the Steelers defense than justs sacks like making plays against the run and pass coverage. James when healthy could do well in all three phases.
    Worlids might be good in the sack game but struggles everywhere else, its the reason the Steelers are still trying to keep James here otherwise they would just cut him and not even discuss a contract.
    The Steelers will be looking for an OLB in the draft especially if James leaves, that tells me they have limited confidence in Worlids and not much at all with Carter.

    Given that we are near a two decade low for the number of sacks that we are getting then excuse me if I prioritize that skillset for a player in the position that is designed in this defense to get the sacks.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  8. #28
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Let's do the math. Last five years...two Super Bowl appearances. Yep, they have no reason to be confident.
    The core of those teams was drafted much longer than 5 years ago and are now old and oft injured. Prior to the past 5 years, how many players did the Steelers let walk via free agency, then re-sign because they had no able replacement? How many players did they sign that were at or near 30 years old and had to because they had no replacements? They couldn't groom a FS when Hope left and had nobody ready to take over for him so had to go out in FA and get one. Who do they have groomed to replace Harrison, Foote, Troy, Clark? Look at their RB situation. Homeristic viewpoints like your statement are humorous.
    @_Hellgrammite

  9. #29
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,084
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Your forgetting one thing. Harrison showed some serious potential when he got playing time making it a much more comfortable decision to let Peezy walk.

    Worilds improved a lot but I don't know if he's shown enough for the franchise to think he's a legit ROLB starter. He's also had his fair share of injuries in very limited playing opportunities.
    The fact that the Steelers are willing to demand a serious cut of Harrison's pay should tell you they feel comfortable with Worilds if Harrison walks. As has been said many times, the Steelers don't negotiate willy-nilly, they always have a plan and a backup plan.

  10. #30
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,478
    You very RARELY see a team ask player to take a pay cut and they remain with the team if they do not. So when that happens...Things are put in motion. I don't not think the Steelers made this request without a plan in place. I also do not think they had any belief that the "plan" involved a player via the draft for 2013. They approached Harrison with this request because they could. Take that information and draw your conclusion.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •