Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 61

Thread: James Harrison might be released by Steelers

  1. #31
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Let's do the math. Last five years...two Super Bowl appearances. Yep, they have no reason to be confident.
    cowhers players still productive for those superbowl appearances, tomlins players since

  2. #32
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    cowhers players still productive for those superbowl appearances, tomlins players since
    And? Tomlin took those same players to more Super Bowl appearances than Cowher did.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  3. #33
    Legend papillon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Under your bed
    Posts
    6,838
    We can discuss whether Harrison was ever healthy, is losing his skill set, was getting stronger at the end of the year, etc until the cows come home. If, and by all estimation, Worilds is a better option based on pass rushing ability and setting the edge at this stage of his career than Harrison was when he took over for Porter, then why are the Steelers even talking to Harrison? They should cut him and never have even started negotiations, but they didn't.

    I have to believe that while rushing the passer and setting the edge are the primary responsibilities the Steelers are viewing the other facets of the position more heavily than us fans are doing, otherwise, Harrison would simply be a cap casualty without even talking to him, IMO. Worilds would be able to rush the passer and set the edge nearly as well as Harrison and over time probably just as well. Since, they are still trying to resign Harrison I have to believe the front office doesn't think that Worilds is ready for a full time gig.

    Pappy


    1.15) Ryan Shazier - ILB/OLB
    2.46) Stephon Tuitt - DE
    3.97) Dri Archer - RB
    4.118 ) Martavis Bryant - WR
    5.157) Shaquille Richardson - CB
    6.173) Wesley Johnson - OT
    6.192) Jordan Zumwalt - ILB
    7.215) Daniel McCullers - DT
    7.230) Rob Blanchflower - TE

    "Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it." -- Chuck Noll

  4. #34
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Given that we are near a two decade low for the number of sacks that we are getting then excuse me if I prioritize that skillset for a player in the position that is designed in this defense to get the sacks.
    Again, sacks are only part of the equation unless you want TE and RB running wild while Worlids only has to worry about sacks.
    I think Pappy said it better than me

  5. #35
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    And? Tomlin took those same players to more Super Bowl appearances than Cowher did.
    sure, tomlin had ben. cowher had scubs.

  6. #36
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    sure, tomlin had ben. cowher had scubs.
    I'm sure you know Cowher had Ben for 3 years.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  7. #37
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I'm sure you know Cowher had Ben for 3 years.
    yup. had him for his first 3 in the league. not quite like having him for 6 while at his prime.

  8. #38
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,453
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    We can discuss whether Harrison was ever healthy, is losing his skill set, was getting stronger at the end of the year, etc until the cows come home. If, and by all estimation, Worilds is a better option based on pass rushing ability and setting the edge at this stage of his career than Harrison was when he took over for Porter, then why are the Steelers even talking to Harrison? They should cut him and never have even started negotiations, but they didn't.

    I have to believe that while rushing the passer and setting the edge are the primary responsibilities the Steelers are viewing the other facets of the position more heavily than us fans are doing, otherwise, Harrison would simply be a cap casualty without even talking to him, IMO. Worilds would be able to rush the passer and set the edge nearly as well as Harrison and over time probably just as well. Since, they are still trying to resign Harrison I have to believe the front office doesn't think that Worilds is ready for a full time gig.

    Pappy
    Harrison still has value to the Steelers but at their price. Harrison has unearned money in his pocket from the Rooneys...People forget that. If you were the owner of a franchise you want return on your investment. Just because it isn't money's due doesn't mean it isn't monies that needs to be earned. They aren't talking to Harrison because of lack of confidence in Worilds. They are talking to Harrison because he isn't playing to his contract and they can ask him to take a pay cut because they have leverage and his replacement.



  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    We can discuss whether Harrison was ever healthy, is losing his skill set, was getting stronger at the end of the year, etc until the cows come home. If, and by all estimation, Worilds is a better option based on pass rushing ability and setting the edge at this stage of his career than Harrison was when he took over for Porter, then why are the Steelers even talking to Harrison? They should cut him and never have even started negotiations, but they didn't.

    I have to believe that while rushing the passer and setting the edge are the primary responsibilities the Steelers are viewing the other facets of the position more heavily than us fans are doing, otherwise, Harrison would simply be a cap casualty without even talking to him, IMO. Worilds would be able to rush the passer and set the edge nearly as well as Harrison and over time probably just as well. Since, they are still trying to resign Harrison I have to believe the front office doesn't think that Worilds is ready for a full time gig.

    Pappy
    $$$
    They may be concerned about Worilds' durability...for a young player, in relation to his playing time, he's missed a lot of time due to injury.

  10. #40
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,524
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Explain what you mean by "circumstantial?" In my view, the circumstances were football games where he was getting healthy after knee surgery. The D played better toward the end of the year. Maybe that had nothing to do with him, but from what it looked, he was the primary driver of that.

    Again, just because the team got lucky after Porter or even Lloyd, doesn't mean they get lucky again. Let's hope they do.
    Well I specifically meant it in how we know sacks can come in bunches, and that it doesn't mean anything unless you realize the circumstances. IOW, let's say he had four sacks in the last four games (I don't know the stats he did have). If he got them against Joe Thomas and Jake Long, that says a lot. But if he got them because it was garbage time or he got two of them because Ryan Fitzpatrick slid down at his feet... see what I mean?

    I watched every quarter of every game this year. As it pertains to Harrison, I definitely noticed how slow and unathletic he seemed running around the field. Toward the end of the year, I (as someone who really watches him and hangs his hopes on Harrison) saw a SLIGHT uptick in terms of his game. Slight. I didn't see the old Harrison, or anything near. I didn't see him rocking back OT's, or dipping his shoulder. (In fact, I saw them drop him more than anything else, which says a lot in/of itself.)

    Point being, I don't really know what we get with him. If you asked me straight up, I'd say that he is washed up, painful as it may be to say.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •