Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Todd McShay Round 1 Mock: Steelers pick OLB Jarvis Jones

Legend

User Info Menu

For awhile there was the trend of Jones dropping in mocks. Now, with the clean bill of health, he could rise back into the top ten. Ansah also has become a lock in the top ten in most mocks. - but that means another pass rusher could be dropping to us.

I've seen a couple where Werner drops, how about Moore?

Out of the following group, who would you hope to fall to us?

Werner
    Moore
    Mingo
    Jordan

And the answer is not "I don't want a pass rusher in the first".

Rookie

User Info Menu

Jordan #1

Werner #2 (I like him better than Jordan, but not in the 3-4)

Moore #3 (would not pick him at #1-17 no matter what)

Mingo #4 (would not pick him at #1-17 or #2-54 no matter what)

Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones calls himself the best player in the NFL draft

Posted by Michael David Smith on March 21, 2013

Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones has no doubts about where he ranks among the prospects in this year’s NFL draft.

“At the end of the day I think I’m the number one player,” Jones told D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution after performing for NFL scouts at Georgia’s Pro Day workout on Thursday.

Jones didn’t work out at the Scouting Combine, so Pro Day was his opportunity to show what kind of athlete he is. According to Marc Weiszer of the Athens Banner-Herald, Jones ran the 40-yard dash in 4.85 seconds, which would be a disappointing time for a linebacker who was hoping to show off his speed.

Whether Jones is the best player in the draft or not, he seems to be drawing a lot of interest from teams in the Top 5: He said after working out that he has visits scheduled with the Chiefs, Eagles and Lions.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/21/jarvis-jones-calls-himself-the-best-player-in-the-nfl-draft/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Todd McShay Mock: Steelers select Jarvis Jones, Robert Woods in first two rounds

By Neal Coolong on Mar 28 2013

Scouts Inc. analyst Todd McShay has the Steelers taking Georgia LB Jarvis Jones and USC WR Robert Woods in two-round mock draft.

Scouts Inc. analyst Todd McShay doused the flame of the Triangle of Authority, who earlier announced the selection of wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson with the 17th overall pick. In McShay's world, the Rams grab Patterson at No. 16, and the Steelers take Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones at 17. The Steelers then select USC wide receiver Robert Woods with the 48th overall pick.

Jones is probably the odds-on favorite for the Steelers at 17, judging by the Mockiverse's consensus reactions. Not all are sold on Jones, questioning his ability to take on blocks and his explosive ability in pass rush.

Woods has a long list of recently failed USC receivers ahead of him, but is said to be a hard worker and potentially an explosive playmaker outside the numbers. It wouldn't be a shock to see the Steelers go with a pass rushing threat and a receiver with their first two picks, so McShay's projection doesn't come as much of a surprise.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/28/4157124/todd-mcshay-mock-draft-nfl-2013-steelers[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Todd McShay Mock: Steelers select Jarvis Jones, Robert Woods in first two rounds

By Neal Coolong on Mar 28 2013

Scouts Inc. analyst Todd McShay has the Steelers taking Georgia LB Jarvis Jones and USC WR Robert Woods in two-round mock draft.

Scouts Inc. analyst Todd McShay doused the flame of the Triangle of Authority, who earlier announced the selection of wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson with the 17th overall pick. In McShay's world, the Rams grab Patterson at No. 16, and the Steelers take Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones at 17. The Steelers then select USC wide receiver Robert Woods with the 48th overall pick.

Jones is probably the odds-on favorite for the Steelers at 17, judging by the Mockiverse's consensus reactions. Not all are sold on Jones, questioning his ability to take on blocks and his explosive ability in pass rush.

Woods has a long list of recently failed USC receivers ahead of him, but is said to be a hard worker and potentially an explosive playmaker outside the numbers. It wouldn't be a shock to see the Steelers go with a pass rushing threat and a receiver with their first two picks, so McShay's projection doesn't come as much of a surprise.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/28/4157124/todd-mcshay-mock-draft-nfl-2013-steelers[/URL]
    I wouldn't be mad at that draft, but (like anyone else), I'd be concerned about Jones and his work ethic (i.e. slow 40 time). As for Woods, he's fine if your expectations aren't high... as someone who's seen a lot of him here in Southern California, he's no #1 WR. He's along the lines Charles Johnson, Andre Hastings, Ernie Mills.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wouldn't worry too much about his 40 yrd time, he doesn't have to run 40yrds to sack the QB something he did really well in college.
    The question is if Jones is available at 17 do the Steelers pull the trigger? Based on his performance the last few years as a playmaker I doubt the Steelers would pass on him.
    Who Knows, Jones could be the Decastro of 13 if he falls in the draft.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about his 40 yrd time, he doesn't have to run 40yrds to sack the QB something he did really well in college.
    The question is if Jones is available at 17 do the Steelers pull the trigger? Based on his performance the last few years as a playmaker I doubt the Steelers would pass on him.
    Who Knows, Jones could be the Decastro of 13 if he falls in the draft.
    Well it's not the 40 time in/of itself... I'm pretty sure James Harrison runs an equally slow (if not slower) 40. But James is 35 (with loads of experience, wear). There aren't many 20-something newbies, who's game is supposed to be based on speed and explosiveness, who clock such a subpar (not even mediocre) 40. I'm not saying it is the be-all, but it has to be concerning.

As to him falling, I honestly haven't started my draft homework yet (the PFW Draft book isn't out yet). I don't have a problem with taking any guy who seemingly falls in the draft because of circumstance. Is it that elite?

Legend

User Info Menu

Mocking the Draft

By Tim Mullhaupt (HSS) on Apr 1 2013

When in doubt, go with The Judge. Kansas State linebacker Arthur Brown is a possibility for the Steelers with the 17th overall pick in the upcoming NFL Draft.

Round 1:

1. Kansas City Chiefs - Luke Joeckel, OT, Texas A&M
    2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ezekiel Ansah, DE, BYU
    3. Oakland Raiders - Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah
    4. Philadelphia Eagles - Geno Smith, QB, West Virginia
    5. Detroit Lions - Eric Fisher, OT, Central Michigan
    6. Cleveland Browns - Dee Milliner, CB, Alabama
    7. Arizona Cardinals - Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon
    8. Buffalo Bills - Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia
    9. New York Jets - Chance Warmack, G, Alabama
    10. Tennessee Titans - Jonathan Cooper, G, North Carolina
    11. San Diego Chargers - Lane Johnson, OT, Oklahoma
    12. Miami Dolphins - Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida
    13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Xavier Rhodes, CB, Florida State
    14. Carolina Panthers - Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
    15. New Orleans Saints - Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
    16. St. Louis Rams - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Steelers round 1 Pick 17: Arthur Brown, LB, Kansas State

When it boils down to it, I just have a feeling in my bones that this will be our pick in April. The Steelers have already met with Brown and were probably just as impressed, if not more so than other teams when he dazzled at his pro day in his position drills. The Steelers were all set to draft Dont'a Hightower a year ago before David DeCastro fell in their lap. Now, with Sean Spence having issues from recovering from that devastating knee injury he suffered in the preseason a year ago, it seems the Steelers are still in need of a linebacker to pair inside with Lawrence Timmons.

Since the story broke about Manti Te'o imaginary girlfriend broke, and maybe even before then Brown has distinguished himself as the best 3-4 ILB candidate in this draft. He's said to posses top-end speed for a linebacker and hang with tight ends and slot receivers in coverage.Brown, while being a quiet and mild-mannered player off the field, is a tenacious defender on it. Nicknamed "The Judge" by teammates, Brown uses his closing speed to take down offensive players like a cheetah takes down a gazelle (is any of this sounding familiar? I can think of a similar player already in Black and Gold). To give you an indication of just how fast he is, consider that Kansas State was comfortable letting him shadow Robert Griffin III last year, when Griffin was a senior at Baylor. He's not all speed and finesse however, as scouting reports around the web have documented well, Brown plays with great leverage that allows him to take on much larger lineman and stand them up to break up the play. Some are concerned that this will lead to extensive shoulder injuries (he's already had one in college), while others believer the heavy duty linemen will be able to move him regardless of how low he comes into a block.

When all is said and done, I think Brown could be one of those rare players that comes in and starts in their rookie year for the Steelers defense. It's blasphemy to suggest this, but with Larry Foote getting older and slower, it's hard to think Mike Tomlin would keep sending Foote to cover running backs like Ray Rice while he has a weapon like Brown at his disposal. Plug him in with Timmons and let those two wreak havoc.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/4/1/4169518/2013-nfl-draft-mock-steelers-three-round[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

No... eifert! lol
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    No... eifert! lol
    then why do you have Jarvis Jones in your sig mock?

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha