Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd McShay Round 1 Mock: Steelers pick OLB Jarvis Jones

Legend

User Info Menu

Only an absolute moron would have Jones in his Steeler mock.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If it fell that way it would come down to Patterson & Warmack in my book. I would go with Patterson. I wouldn't draft Jones there. There isn't an OLB propect in this draft that would start day 1 for the Steelers & don't kid yourself. The more & more I dig on the 3-4 OLB propects and put them up against the other 1st round grades...They keep slipping on my "Steelers" board. If Jones isn't a 4.5 - 4.6 / high 1.5 - low 1.6 split with reps around 20...His stock will start dipping too. He has his age working against him if he won't see the field in a year.

I'm taking into account Lewis is still here. Rhodes & Truffant may come into play if Lewis leaves. We have to take into account DL & Haley and their schemes with the Steelers board. I hate to say this, but as this board is shaping up the BPA may very well be all offensive (WR, OG, & TE). If the are stuck there @ #17, that may be their direction. And yes...I have Warmack, Cooper, Patterson, & Eifert above Jones & Moore right now on my "Steelers" board. I think Moore has a higher ceiling than Jones. But it is clear that the 4-3 DEs are the plug & play guys as pass rushers.

The best fit in the 1st at 3-4 OLB in DL system may be Mingo but he would still be a work in progress and wouldn't see the field day 1. Mingo still has the potential to keep his hand on the ground like Moore. Jones doesn't have the position flexibility and a 3-4 team will have to have zero questions on him to make an early commitment. Jones is shaping up to be that guy where you could either say "We can't passed on him" or "We better pass on him" in the same breath. When those conversations both take place your stock slips. That could be said for Moore but his position flexibility gives him more teams asking that question.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 03-07-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Werner at 25?
    I would take Werner over Jones. I think Werner has been projected more in a 4-3 system but I'm prob. one of the few who would pass on Jones.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Backup

User Info Menu

Yeah let's pick another linebacker to sit the bench with Worilds for 3 years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Patterson...

Legend

User Info Menu

this is Mel Kiper's latest mock draft selection for us:

1(17) Pittsburgh Steelers

Ezekiel Ansah
    COLLEGE: BYU
    HT: 6-6
    WT: 272
    POS: OLB

Analysis: Sticking with Ansah here. You hand an exceptional physical talent with a high ceiling but plenty of development required to Dick LeBeau. When that's the equation, where's the downside? What I think is particularly interesting about this situation is the idea that Ansah could ultimately work out as a 3-4 DE. Ansah might lack polish as a pass-rusher, but he has a lot of power both with raw strength and because he has such a burst, can rush with leverage and also utilize his quickness in one-on-one matchups. The Steelers must get younger on defense and, as I said before, Ansah makes sense given their track record of development.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Jones is a great player no doubt but I think who we draft in round one depends on other factors. Will the Steelers retain James Harrison?
    If so I don't know if they would make OLB a priority in round one as they have Worlids backing up James and he wouldn't get much playing time other than special teams.
    He would be a good pick for the future, but we need immediate help in this years draft.
    I could be wrong but the most glaring position we need filled now is TE, not only this year but for the future. Paulson is a second year player, Pope is probably gone so we need that position filled with Miller being a question mark of when he will return.
    A TE can be just as important to an offense as a receiver, we seen that last season when Miller was second in receiving yards to Wallace, so I wouldn't count out the TE position in round one.

Now if Harrison isn't signed then it could make OLB a need position, considering the attention Jarvis Jones is getting could he compete against Worlids for starting role or work himself into taking over later in the year? We know he is a good pass rusher but I hear he has good coverage skills as well so he would be a good pick depending on the Harrison contract talks.

I've been thinking the same way about needed a TE. They help in protection, run support and receiving. We also don't have a starting caliber one that will be ready to play the first part of the season unless Heath's recovery goes unusually well. Even after Heath is back, we have seen what an O can do with two top tier TE's.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    They also had Casey and Foote, which they may not this season...
    the way casey plaed last year, it wouldnt be hard replacing him. we got some big NTs that can battle it out.

Legend

User Info Menu

2013 Mock Draft: 'Moans for Jones' becoming a theme

By big_jay71 on Mar 7 2013, 12:00p 54

Injury concerns are always a big deal but just how much attention should we give to certain injuries? In the NFL just about the worst concern you can have are knee issues, particularly ACL tears. It's why South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore probably won't be drafted until the fifth round at the earliest event though he has first round talent. But what about non-serious, nagging injuries or health conditions that may not even affect a player? The first few picks for the Steelers could be players whose stock has fallen because of these issues and in my humble opinion the Steelers should jump on them.

Round 1:

1. Kansas City Chiefs - Luke Joeckel OT, Texas A&M

Team needs: QB/WR/DE/S/ILB

The Chiefs traded for Alex Smith which means that Geno Smith is no longer an option. Star Lotulelei has a heart condition which should take him out of contention. Even though they franchised Brandon Albert this pick should still be Joeckel unless they sign Albert to a long-term contract.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars - Sharrif Floyd DT, Florida

Team needs: QB/CB/S/OT/OC

Because of his condition Star Lotulelei has been overtaken as the highest rated DT.

3. Oakland Raiders - Star Lotulelei NT, Utah

Team needs: QB/CB/RDE/DT

Oakland will take a DT, DE, Dee Millner, or Geno Smith with this pick. Star Lotulelei could fall a lot farther depending on his medical examinations.

4. Philadelphia Eagles - Eric Fisher OT, Central Michigan

Team needs: SS/CB/OC/OT

This pick should be Eric Fisher or Dee Millner depending on what the Eagles do in free agency regarding their CB situation.

5. Detroit Lions - DeMarcus Milliner CB, Alabama

Team needs: CB/DE/SS/OC/RT

The Lions always go with the best available player in the first round. Millner had an awesome combine and has leapfrogged the available DE's as the best player available.

6. Cleveland Browns - Ezekiel Ansah DE/OLB, BYU

Ezekiel Ansah made himself a lot of money at the Senior Bowl and with concerns over Jarvis Jones' spinal stenosis Ansah is not the top rated 3-4 OLB. With the Browns switching to a hybird 3-4/4-3 defense they'll need players who can ply both DE and OLB.

7. Arizona Cardinals - Lane Johnson OT, Oklahoma

Team needs: QB/LT/OG/OC/OLB

This should be the easiest pick to predict. Arizona's offensive line is terrible. Even with Geno Smith available they should still take a left tackle as long as one of the top three are available.

8. Buffalo Bills - Geno Smith QB, West Virginia

Team needs: QB/WR/RDE/ILB

Bills GM Buddy Nix has said they will try to land a franchise QB in this draft.

9. New York Jets - Dion Jordan DE/OLB, Oregon

Team needs: QB/RT/OLB/S/ILB

The Jets should take a rush linebacker as long as either Dion Jordan or Ezekiel Ansah are available, otherwise they might take Cordarrelle Patterson.

10. Tennessee Titans - Chance Warmack OG, Alabama

Team needs: OG/OC/CB/DE

Tennessee needs interior offensive line help and a cornerback so this should be Chance Warmack as long as Dee Millner is gone.

11. San Diego Chargers - Jonathan Cooper OG, North Carolina

Team needs: CB/LT/OG/RB/OLB/NT

San Diego needs a lot of offensive line help and may trade up for Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson. Jonathan Cooper is a slight reach so the Chargers could take an OLB or simply trade back to get better value for Cooper.

12. Miami Dolphins - Cordarrelle Patterson WR, Tennessee

Team needs: WR/RG/LDE/S/TE

The Dolphins have an investment in Ryan Tannehill and will most likely use this pick to bolster the offense around him. They have some decent number two WR's but need someone to be the main guy.

13. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Desmond Trufant CB, Washington

Team needs: CB/DT/SLB/RT

Tampa Bay's pick should be fairly easy. They had a big need for a CB even before they traded Aqib Talib to the Patriots.

14. Carolina Panthers - Sheldon Richardson DT, Missouri

Unless an elite talent falls like Dee Millner or Eric Fisher this pick will most likely be used on the highest rated DT. Given the Carolina doesn't have a third round pick they will probably trade back to pick up one and still get someone like Kawann Short.

15. New Orleans Saints - Barkevious Mingo DE/OLB, LSU

Team needs: OLB/NT/OG/SS

The Saints are converting to a 3-4 defense and will need another pass-rushing OLB to pair with Martez Wilson. The Saints have Akiem Hicks to play NT but could also take John Jenkins or Jonathan Hankins.

16. St. Louis Rams - Kenny Vaccaro S, Texas

Team needs:OT/OG/OLB/FS/TE

The Rams are out of luck for offensive lineman and should take Kenny Vaccaro or the highest rated WR here.

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jarvis Jones OLB, Georgia

Team needs: S/ROLB/WR/LG/CB/NT

If Jarvis Jones falls to the Steelers here they should run to the podium to turn in their card much like they did for David DeCastro in the 2012 draft. He's an elite pass-rusher who falls because of concerns over his spinal stenosis but as long as he checks out from the medical staff it shouldn't be an issue. One thing the Steelers have lacked over the last few seasons are splash plays on defense and anyone who watched Jarvis Jones play this past season knows he has had at least a few in every game.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/7/4068872/2013-mock-draft-steelers-updated-new[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can anybody explain why a college program like USC would reasonably medically fail this guy (stenosis)? I'm having a hard time getting beyond it. To me, a club (or college) willing to fail a guy medically would seem to practically remove him from consideration. Was it a mistake by SC's medical staff?