Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Todd McShay Round 1 Mock: Steelers pick OLB Jarvis Jones

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Can anybody explain why a college program like USC would reasonably medically fail this guy (stenosis)? I'm having a hard time getting beyond it. To me, a club (or college) willing to fail a guy medically would seem to practically remove him from consideration. Was it a mistake by SC's medical staff?
    This happened right at the height of the sanctions handed out to USC. That meant they had a limited amount of scholarship to give out. There was risk when there was a scarcity. And at that point, even though Jones was a highly ranked recruit, he was primarily not much more than a special teams players (his freshman year).
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    This happened right at the height of the sanctions handed out to USC. That meant they had a limited amount of scholarship to give out. There was risk when there was a scarcity. And at that point, even though Jones was a highly ranked recruit, he was primarily not much more than a special teams players (his freshman year).
    Thanks... that totally makes sense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Is Todd McShay ever right? How does this guy still have a job?
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Is Todd McShay ever right? How does this guy still have a job?
    LOL... honestly, it seems like every year when the draft starts these experts always have "their guys" on the board a lot longer than anticipated. I don't think it matters if they are right. They spend a ton of time throwing out info on all these players so they keep their jobs...

and honestly? What is their job? Predicting talent without any consequences if they don't produce. I'm pretty sure anyone who can find someone to bankroll them for 2 years could do the same job and gain the same respect in the industry.

IMO they work for agents...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    LOL... honestly, it seems like every year when the draft starts these experts always have "their guys" on the board a lot longer than anticipated. I don't think it matters if they are right. They spend a ton of time throwing out info on all these players so they keep their jobs...

and honestly? What is their job? Predicting talent without any consequences if they don't produce. I'm pretty sure anyone who can find someone to bankroll them for 2 years could do the same job and gain the same respect in the industry.

IMO they work for agents...
    I respect Rob Rang, Nolan Narwocki, and (to a lesser degree) Mayock. I think they love and understand the game. They are not sensationalists but instead immerse themselves in studying these players objectively and honestly. Kiper used to be okay, but honestly I think he's lost touch and is phoning it in at this point. Guys like Todd McShay are sleezeballs who see a market for sensationalism and surprises. I never walk away from his pieces on TV feeling like he has a deep understanding of the game.

Honestly, guys like Dee Dub and Just Plain Nasty are great resources. They have fantastic insights and often see things that others don't. I really enjoy their posts. Big Rob and SKL are also fun to read. They obviously watch a ton of college football. This is a great place for Steelers' fans to be in the months before the draft.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones is getting a clean bill of health

US PRESSWIRE

*Jarvis Jones’ neck injury is starting to look like it might be a non-issue on draft day, and there is little chance he will fall out of the top 10. In a medical report that was sent to NFL teams, leading orthopedist Craig Brigham refutes that Jones ever had a significant spinal cord contusion. When he was at Southern Cal, the pass rusher was diagnosed with one, and Southern Cal did not allow him to play in 2010. Jones transferred to Georgia and played two seasons with no problems. Brigham concluded that Jones either had a very mild incident of spinal cord concussion or merely a stinger that has long since resolved. Even if another similar injury occurred, Brigham concluded it would not be a career ending issue. After recently examining Jones, Brigham concluded, “Jarvis is cleared to play without restriction.”

[URL]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfp-sunday-blitz-093023787--nfl.html[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Report: Jarvis Jones cleared medically

Published: March 12, 2013

ATHENS - In his quest to be the top pick in the NFL draft, Jarvis Jones' skill and intangibles have never been the issue. No, it's all about the neck.

The news on that front has been good lately. According to a report on The National Football Post, orthopedist Craig Brigham has concluded that Jones never had spinal stenosis, backing up what UGA doctors found after Jones transferred from USC, which wouldn't clear him medically.

Instead, Jones had a "very mild incident" of spinal-cord concussion, accoring to Brigham. Or put another way, he had a stinger.

"Either way, the doctor believes the situation has long since been resolved," writes NFL.com's Dan Hanzus.

If NFL teams take the findings as gospel, or reach the same conclusions, it will be interesting to see if Jones starts sliding back up the mock draft boards. His predicted spot in the various mock drafts has been all over the place, from No. 5 overall to mid-to-late first round. ESPN analyst Mel Kiper recently dropped Jones from No. 1 overall to No. 5 overall on his big board.

Jones was a first-team all-American each of his two seasons at Georgia, and his neck was never an issue. He did miss two games this past season, but that was because of unrelated minor injuries.

Jones did not work out at the NFL combine last month, instead deciding to focus on performing for scouts at UGA's pro day, which is March 21.

[URL]http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/2013/03/12/2418205/report-jarvis-jones-cleared-medically.html#storylink=cpy[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Administrator

User Info Menu

I don't see Jones being there at #17. The media is blowing this way out of proportion. Even if his health is a long term risk, I don't see 16 teams passing on this guy.

The guy has had big time production in the SEC. He plays a premium position. Those two in combination typically results in a premium pick.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Is Todd McShay ever right?
    we all hope like hell he is this time...FWIW, I wouldn't be dissapointed with a trade up on this kid if he falls beyond 10...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Mid-March Mock
    1.20 - Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama
    2.51 - Zach Frazier, C, WVU
    3.84 - Jermiah Trotter, ILB, Clemson
    3.98 - Christian Jones, OT, Texas

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I'd still want Jarvis Jones...hopefully he somehow drops to #17 like DeCastro dropped to us last season.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa