Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Ben said his arm strength led to INT's against Dallas and Cincy

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Yep...this is called football. It is a violent contact sport. It happens.

I love how several months ago I kept saying this was going to happen. In the off-season we would learn that Ben's injury was more than was led to believe. Certain posters kept bashing Ben over and over and over. Some here (those with common sense), would say that maybe the poor play after he got hurt had something to do with the injury he suffered.
    Well, that's what Ben and the team seem to be saying now.

But at the time, all we were hearing is that Ben was fine. Did Ben really believe that? Or did he know his injury was still hampering him? Did the team realize he was still too injured to make those throws?

I have to wonder...if there had been a little more honesty, maybe they'd have decided that a healthy Charlie was a better option than a crippled Ben for those last three games.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    He has made things happen so often on third down when it didn't look like there would be a play. It wouldn't surprise me if part of what makes successful also bites him in the rear end from time to time.
    I agree with that. You live and die by the sword but here is my problem...

Ben has been in the league for awhile and if he hasn't learned by now to "live to fight another day" then I think he's either to stubborn, ignorant or just to stupid to ever learn it.

It's pretty simple... Two golden rules:

1) If your in field goal range, don't take a freakin' sack and take us out of field goal range. It's one thing if he's sacked immediately. That's different. Normally, that's not the case. It's because he's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to buy additional time. Sometimes, you just need to get the 3 points.

2) When it's 2nd and 3 (give or take)... don't take a dumb sack and make it 3rd and 15 (give or take). Like I said, sacks happen especially with our o-line but the reality is A LOT of those sacks happen when Ben is holding onto the ball for WAAYY to long. If he doesn't take the stupid sack in these situations, we still have 3rd and short. Instead, we have 3rd and long and typically it results in a punt. They are drive killing sacks that shouldn't be.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post

Ben has been in the league for awhile and if he hasn't learned by now to "live to fight another day" then I think he's either to stubborn, ignorant or just to stupid to ever learn it.

1) If your in field goal range, don't take a freakin' sack and take us out of field goal range. It's one thing if he's sacked immediately. That's different. Normally, that's not the case. It's because he's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to buy additional time. Sometimes, you just need to get the 3 points.

2) When it's 2nd and 3 (give or take)... don't take a dumb sack and make it 3rd and 15 (give or take). Like I said, sacks happen especially with our o-line but the reality is A LOT of those sacks happen when Ben is holding onto the ball for WAAYY to long. If he doesn't take the stupid sack in these situations, we still have 3rd and short. Instead, we have 3rd and long and typically it results in a punt. They are drive killing sacks that shouldn't be.
    Yup, Bonehead Ben ruined the day. He plays like a frat boy with a keg on the sideline but we all suffer as he doesn't give two sh-ts enough to take this seriously. Oh, but he cried AFTER he ruined the season. Way to go.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Oh and by the way.... This is called "situational football" as Tomlin would like to call it. According to Tomlin, they spend a lot of time on this. It's one of his buzz words. Apparently, Ben must not be listening to closely.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I understand what you're saying, but Ben has built his career on not fighting another day, but getting the big play now. It's made him a lot of money and highlight reel adulation. When it works, it's spectacular. When it doesn't...

Backup

User Info Menu

It's because he's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to buy additional time.
    Be specific. List the examples.

I don't need to list any more.
    Why? So ONE time proves your point? I can say Ben does throw it away because I've seen him do that too.

I just can't believe that Ben being so dumb, and so stupid, can possibly be headed to Canton.

WTF did we even draft him for? We should have resigned Kordell and drafted Andrews.

Backup

User Info Menu

2) When it's 2nd and 3 (give or take)... don't take a dumb sack and make it 3rd and 15 (give or take). Like I said, sacks happen especially with our o-line but the reality is A LOT of those sacks happen when Ben is holding onto the ball for WAAYY to long. If he doesn't take the stupid sack in these situations, we still have 3rd and short. Instead, we have 3rd and long and typically it results in a punt.
    And yet Ben prior to his injury was the best 3rd down passer in football.

Where were all these punts anyway?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Well, that's what Ben and the team seem to be saying now.

But at the time, all we were hearing is that Ben was fine. Did Ben really believe that? Or did he know his injury was still hampering him? Did the team realize he was still too injured to make those throws?

I have to wonder...if there had been a little more honesty, maybe they'd have decided that a healthy Charlie was a better option than a crippled Ben for those last three games.
    Yes but you as a fan of this team for many years and one who knows enough about the game of football knew that wasn't true...right? It was pretty obvious by the lack of zip on his passes that there was something still bothering him.

Funny thing though, there are many here on this forum who hate Ben so much they would never have considered that he was still hurt. Even when it was blatantly obvious.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

IMO, it was obvious, even on TV, during those late-season games that Ben lacked some zip on his throws to his right. The Steelers had to that Ben was week on these throws, and I suppose they did not talk about it during the season to not just give it away to opponents. But teams caught on quick, and they played those throws well. In the end, those throws just did give it away to opponents. We live with the good of Ben's gutsy play, and the bad of it too. Gutsy, ill-advised throws.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Jeez. This thread is freakin stupid. What's the point? So he was hurt. Big deal. Is Ben perfect? No. So many have their own agenda and will bash the guy at any moment. It is the NFL after all. A pretty tough league to play in even if a QB never gets hit as much as Ben. This guy has been a playmaker from day one. He's won alot of games and set alot of records. And been to three SBs.

I just don't get all the tripe over this. The other team gets paid to play too. And the AFC North is pretty damn good. This ain't Playstation folks.