Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 106

Thread: Ben said his arm strength led to INT's against Dallas and Cincy

  1. #51
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,779
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I agree with that. You live and die by the sword but here is my problem...

    Ben has been in the league for awhile and if he hasn't learned by now to "live to fight another day" then I think he's either to stubborn, ignorant or just to stupid to ever learn it.

    It's pretty simple... Two golden rules:

    1) If your in field goal range, don't take a freakin' sack and take us out of field goal range. It's one thing if he's sacked immediately. That's different. Normally, that's not the case. It's because he's running around like a chicken with it's head cut off trying to buy additional time. Sometimes, you just need to get the 3 points.

    2) When it's 2nd and 3 (give or take)... don't take a dumb sack and make it 3rd and 15 (give or take). Like I said, sacks happen especially with our o-line but the reality is A LOT of those sacks happen when Ben is holding onto the ball for WAAYY to long. If he doesn't take the stupid sack in these situations, we still have 3rd and short. Instead, we have 3rd and long and typically it results in a punt. They are drive killing sacks that shouldn't be.
    You really hate Big Ben don't you...I am not sure you even read the article...You are mouthing off just by reading the headline..

    Can you tell me how many times Ben took Steelers out of Field Goal range by taking a sack..one/two/three times???

    You are saying majority of the sacks are on Ben because he was holding the ball too long whereas O-line was okay??? Hahahahahaa....

    Carry on with your Ben hating agenda...
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

  2. #52
    Backup
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    452
    "Fans" like 09 deserve another 25 years of nothing when Ben retires.

  3. #53
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,779
    Ben is not ideal but he is not the main reason why Steelers were 8-8 last season. Well if you consider his injuries then yes but his play was far better last season behind the makeshift O-line, new OC and young dummy crew who could not get open or hold on to the ball..


    People are knitpicking one or two bad plays by Ben and extrapolating it to entire season. He is not perfect and he will not make perfect desicion all the time..unlike few armchair QB do on these board. All i care about is winning and Ben more often than not had lead Steelers to winning the game.
    Last edited by grotonsteel; 03-07-2013 at 12:13 AM.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

  4. #54
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,019
    Agendas always seem to forget Ben was having an MVP season prior to injury.

    Add in the game where there were 8 fumbles and a trio of RBs that couldn't get traction. A game where our backup QB couldn't hit the broadside of the barn. Also, add in the the fact the OL was horrid and injured all season once again. Yeah, blame Ben. He takes a lot of the blame - good for him. He was injured. I don't think he was making it an excuse. Ben is a leader. But you add in a couple of bad apples, eg Wallace, Mendenhall, etc, added in with the departure with the greatest Steeler WR, and Aaron Smith and James Farrior, I'd say that's a lot a team (let alone a QB) can be expected to overcome.

  5. #55
    Pro Bowler skyhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,019
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Ben is not ideal but he is not the main reason why Steelers were 8-8 last season. Well if you consider his injuries then yes but his play was far better last season behind the makeshift O-line, new OC and young dummy crew who could not get open or hold on to the ball..


    People are knitpicking one or two bad plays by Ben and extrapolating it to entire season. He is not perfect and he will not make perfect desicion all the time..unlike few armchair QB do on these board. All i care about is winning and Ben more often than not had lead Steelers to winning the game.
    +++++++++++1

  6. #56
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,863
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Agendas always seem to forget Ben was having an MVP season prior to injury.

    Add in the game where there were 8 fumbles and a trio of RBs that couldn't get traction. A game where our backup QB couldn't hit the broadside of the barn. Also, add in the the fact the OL was horrid and injured all season once again. Yeah, blame Ben. He takes a lot of the blame - good for him. He was injured. I don't think he was making it an excuse. Ben is a leader. But you add in a couple of bad apples, eg Wallace, Mendenhall, etc, added in with the departure with the greatest Steeler WR, and Aaron Smith and James Farrior, I'd say that's a lot a team (let alone a QB) can be expected to overcome.
    Ben was having a great season... but as a team we were still playing sub par football and making boneheaded mistakes before his injury.

    I still find it odd for some to point out his injury like it was some huge secret or the only reason we lost.

  7. #57
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,632
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    You really hate Big Ben don't you...I am not sure you even read the article...You are mouthing off just by reading the headline..

    Can you tell me how many times Ben took Steelers out of Field Goal range by taking a sack..one/two/three times???

    You are saying majority of the sacks are on Ben because he was holding the ball too long whereas O-line was okay??? Hahahahahaa....

    Carry on with your Ben hating agenda...
    You just don't get it do you? It's not a 'hate' Ben agenda. It's a 'hate' Tomlin agenda. It's not a hate Wallace or Mendenhall 'agenda'. It's humorous that people thinking your a "hater" because you critique a certain player, coach, etc. We aren't that good of a team and it showed last year. There is a lot to critique. Trust me. You can keep the Steelers blinders on and think "all is good" if you want..

    Ben is one of our best players if not THE best. If he's hurt, we have no chance at a SB just like most franchises when they lose their franchise QB. With that being said, Ben doesn't do himself many favors on several fronts and I critique him on those fronts because I wish he'd improve them because it would make himself a better player and the Steelers a better team.

    As far as those stats go....If there was a stat captured for these specific sacks, then obviously I could get it. Obviously, there isn't one so .... it's pointless to say "provide me stats". If you don't believe me then that's fine, I could care less to be honest. It's moronic to even ask for something that you and I know damn well it's impossible to show. I just suggest you watch the games very closely. DVR them and re-watch if you have to.

    Yes, historically Ben gets sacked way more than what he should because he holds onto the ball to long. Last year was a bit of a exception. Why? Because Arians offense is gone and Haley's offense focused on Ben getting the ball out quicker. That's no secret. I don't know if you watch the games with a lot of die hard non-Steelers fans but I do. I watch just about every game on every Sunday including the Steelers. Talking with some of these die hard 'other fans' is a good perspective to get because you get the non Steelers "homer" perspective. One of those non-Steelers perspectives has been that Ben holds onto the ball to long. You don't need to be a genius to figure that one out. It's been a known fact. Last year was an improvement in that regard.

  8. #58
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,632
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ben was having a great season... but as a team we were still playing sub par football and making boneheaded mistakes before his injury.

    I still find it odd for some to point out his injury like it was some huge secret or the only reason we lost.
    It wasn't a huge secret, that's the point ... it's dumb for him or a writer to even bring it up at this point.

  9. #59
    Administrator steelz09's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Charleston, SC
    Posts
    3,632
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
    Agendas always seem to forget Ben was having an MVP season prior to injury.

    Add in the game where there were 8 fumbles and a trio of RBs that couldn't get traction. A game where our backup QB couldn't hit the broadside of the barn. Also, add in the the fact the OL was horrid and injured all season once again. Yeah, blame Ben. He takes a lot of the blame - good for him. He was injured. I don't think he was making it an excuse. Ben is a leader. But you add in a couple of bad apples, eg Wallace, Mendenhall, etc, added in with the departure with the greatest Steeler WR, and Aaron Smith and James Farrior, I'd say that's a lot a team (let alone a QB) can be expected to overcome.
    I don't think Ben is the leader most of us wish he was.

    The moaning about Haley was not something a leader should have done... or at least not for as long as what he did.

    Even during the games, he wanted nothing to do with Haley. You could tell with his body language and he would walk away and avoid him during a timeout instead of consulting with his OC like he did with Arians. That is flat out childish and obviously problematic. It could impact the offenses success and probably did hinder it. Sorry to the John Clayton's of this message board, there isn't stats available on this....

    Also, I think it was the denver game where the sound crew caught Ben saying something along the lines of "not that f****** s*** " right now to Haley after he called the play.

    For as well as what Ben was playing earlier in the season, I was extremely disappointed in his leadership & professionalism in regards to the Haley situation.

  10. #60
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,863
    Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    It wasn't a huge secret, that's the point ... it's dumb for him or a writer to even bring it up at this point.
    It's a "no s@#$# sherlock" moment but some fans think they are geniuses for pointing it out. LOL...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •