Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ben said his arm strength led to INT's against Dallas and Cincy

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Who said, we are as good as what our record indicates (or something like that). It might be another Tomlinism. 8-8 is not good for a team that had the talent we had. It's not like this team doesn't have good players. They have a lot of talent (some older) but still.... This team didn't play good enough over the course of the season. The entire season always seemed like 1 step forward, 2 steps back.

In the beginning our defense was to blame... then the offense started to struggle, injuries.... then the fumbles and lack of discipline...then the coaching.

I'm not sure at any point in the season, the team was firing on all cylinders. And by that, I mean just 1 complete solid game with limited or no turnovers, minimal penalties, solid coaching, etc and both offense and defense clicking at the same time.

If this team had garbage players and little to no talent it's different and 8-8 would be acceptable. Lack of talent is NOT this teams problem. Injuries is not a good enough excuse for the most part (except Ben's injury). The Ravens had a TON of injuries throughout the entire year and they held it together.
    It was Tuna who said, "We are what our record says we are." (I love Tuna; one of the very best coaches in the history of the NFL.) I think it's kind of lame to just blame injuries. This team lost to the likes of SD, TN, CLE, and Oak. And, we could have easily lost to Philly, Jets and KC - 3 teams we should have beat by 21. It is obvious that there was much more wrong with this team than just injuries. You mentioned how the Ravens had a ton of key injuries and so did GB the year they beat us in the SB - I think they had a record for most starters on IR or something.

The obvious factor was a lack of leadership and poor team chemistry. You don't win sh-t without leadership and a team mentality across the board. Ben and Tomlin were FAIL on that end. Ben really can't be the leader as he acts like a frat boy goofing around as frat boys do (drinking, womanizing, etc.). It's hard to "follow" someone who acts like he is playing in a college intramural game with a keg on the side line. And Tomlin....I think he got to be too much of buddies with everyone and didn't bare down (benching Mendenhall, making Wallace a "dual starter") until it was too little too late. It wasn't until Art 2 stepped in that we actually won a ring in 2005. With old man Dan, he was just too nicey nice to command the discipline to get it done. My sense is it will be Art 2 again, who has to crack some knuckles and get this team serious again. It will start with Art 2 having a quite serious discussion with Tomlin, which I am sure has already happened. Art will also have to step in to run the draft, as they have been really crapping the old bed on that front and it must end.

Backup

User Info Menu

Art? Please. He's a nobody. He took over when Dan left for Ireland and we've been a soap opera since. He needs "whacked" like Art Jr. was by Dan in the 1980's.

Joe Namath wasn't a leader either?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Siggy00 View Post
    Art? Please. He's a nobody. He took over when Dan left for Ireland and we've been a soap opera since. He needs "whacked" like Art Jr. was by Dan in the 1980's.

Siggy, something about the way you post reminds me a lot of a former contributor to this board whose user name started with a "C" and rhymed with "rash"...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Do you allow the truth anywhere in your opinions? We were FAIL to win any rings (post 1970s) until Art 2 took control.
    When he came in, he said, "(Cowher) knows it's time we finally win it all." The season he said that, we won our 5th ring.

And Namath wasn't much of a leader; so he made 1 prediction that came true. His entire career wasn't all that of anything. I never saw anyone claim Namath was any kind of great leader. He was a great partier. Do you really think he inspired anyone with his all-night benders and fur coats?

Administrator

User Info Menu

Todd Haley and "people skills"?

Hahahahahahahahaha
    Who said Todd Haley has people skills?
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    It was Tuna who said, "We are what our record says we are." (I love Tuna; one of the very best coaches in the history of the NFL.) I think it's kind of lame to just blame injuries. This team lost to the likes of SD, TN, CLE, and Oak. And, we could have easily lost to Philly, Jets and KC - 3 teams we should have beat by 21. It is obvious that there was much more wrong with this team than just injuries. You mentioned how the Ravens had a ton of key injuries and so did GB the year they beat us in the SB - I think they had a record for most starters on IR or something.

The obvious factor was a lack of leadership and poor team chemistry. You don't win sh-t without leadership and a team mentality across the board. Ben and Tomlin were FAIL on that end. Ben really can't be the leader as he acts like a frat boy goofing around as frat boys do (drinking, womanizing, etc.). It's hard to "follow" someone who acts like he is playing in a college intramural game with a keg on the side line. And Tomlin....I think he got to be too much of buddies with everyone and didn't bare down (benching Mendenhall, making Wallace a "dual starter") until it was too little too late. It wasn't until Art 2 stepped in that we actually won a ring in 2005. With old man Dan, he was just too nicey nice to command the discipline to get it done. My sense is it will be Art 2 again, who has to crack some knuckles and get this team serious again. It will start with Art 2 having a quite serious discussion with Tomlin, which I am sure has already happened. Art will also have to step in to run the draft, as they have been really crapping the old bed on that front and it must end.
    There are injuries, and then there are injuries. Injuries to key multiple players at the same time is what felled the Steelers. You can only hide so many before the other team attacks the weakest links. Having Ike, Troy, Harrison, Ben, AB, Colon, Gilbert, Miller, missing multiple games is huge to overcome.