Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's a true replacement for Wallace

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    64 catches, 864 yards and 8 TDs are not that hard to make up. Whether it is one or multiple players we can replace that contribution. The sky won't fall
    For what it's worth, the WR we did pay big bucks to still doesn't have as many TD catches in his entire 3 year NFL career as Wallace had in this down year.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I never said it would. But I think that many of the anti-Wallace crowd underestimate his production and his impact. And those are his numbers from a down year. Despite the down year, Wallace is still #4 among active WRs in YPC despite catching more balls than many guys on that list.

If Wallace is so easy to replace with just any fast guy, why aren't there track guys all over the league putting up the numbers he did over the last few years?

He's a flawed player, but not nearly as bad as his detractors make him out to be.
    most of the anti-Wallace crowd are actually anti-overpaying Wallace...

We don't know if Wallace is easy to replace but the main reason Wallace is successful is due to Ben extending plays. We have no idea if Wallace can perform in Miami with Tannehill throwing to him. Hell, even if you put him on a team with Manning, Brees or Rodgers it's a toss up. Can Wallace catch passes in traffic while draped? Can he catch timing patterns where Manning has the ball in the air before he breaks?

His strength is the go route and unless he gets with a QB who has the perfect pass I think we are going to see Wallace turn into a Nate Washington. A decent WR on a scrub team.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    For what it's worth, the WR we did pay big bucks to still doesn't have as many TD catches in his entire 3 year NFL career as Wallace had in this down year.
    If catching TD's was the only criteria for a WR you would have a point... but first downs, punt returns (when they aren't called back), being a good teammate all play a role.

we tried to offer Wallace a contract....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    most of the anti-Wallace crowd are actually anti-overpaying Wallace...

We don't know if Wallace is easy to replace but the main reason Wallace is successful is due to Ben extending plays. We have no idea if Wallace can perform in Miami with Tannehill throwing to him. Hell, even if you put him on a team with Manning, Brees or Rodgers it's a toss up. Can Wallace catch passes in traffic while draped? Can he catch timing patterns where Manning has the ball in the air before he breaks?

His strength is the go route and unless he gets with a QB who has the perfect pass I think we are going to see Wallace turn into a Nate Washington. A decent WR on a scrub team.
    I don't want to overpay Wallace, either. But I think that many of the "anti-Wallace" posters think the team will automatically be better off without him, which isn't the case.

He will probably be overpaid by somebody, but the offense will be worse without him. Perhaps that can be helped through the draft, but that then precludes the team from addressing another area.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

His time has been reported as being fake, although he did run in the 4.3 range.
    [url=http://img525.imageshack.us/i/steelers2010.jpg/]http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/2...eelers2010.jpg[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If catching TD's was the only criteria for a WR you would have a point... but first downs, punt returns (when they aren't called back), being a good teammate all play a role.

we tried to offer Wallace a contract....
    Punt returns are NOT a criteria for a player that doesn't do that. Wallace can't be compared to Brown on that basis. Heck, AB got the fat contract and still stunk up the season, costing the team when it counted more than once.

Backup

User Info Menu

We can't keep Wallace. He doesn't play defense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Read on ProFootballTalk that Minnesota Vikings say he really ran in the high 4.3s. Still, that is fast. But, it is no 4.19. Prodays are notorious for these sorts of stories.

Thanks for posting the video. He looks interesting.
    Yep...another scout had him not once under 4.3. But personally I like guys like Terrence Williams (4.52), and DeAndre Hopkins (4.57). They dont time fast but they play fast. And are pretty polished receivers at this point.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    the reason brown doesnt have the tds is because he is forcing the dbs to play up near the line to take away the short crossing stufff enabling wallace to run deep with single coverage

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    Terrell Sinkfield

dude ran a 4.19 40 today at the Minnesota pro day (he played at Northern Iowa).

He's got great speed and adjusts to the ball much better than Wallace does. He looks like a true receiver with speed, not just a really fast guy.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMRdpwdoUxI[/url]
    If he ran at the combine, no way would he have run a 4.19. Every time the went with the hand held times, they were always so much quicker than the official combine times. I bet that same player would run a 4.3 plus. There were so many times when the crew announced someone running a record/near-record time, and when it became official the time was much slower.

That being said, this kid is still super fast. Plus, the music playing in that video was really quality and not just a bunch of complete noise and trash.