Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers and Harrisons' agent talking

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Some people won't be satisfied until all the starters are removed & replaced with the much higher skilled, but under-used back-ups.
    In most NFL cities they say that the backup QB is the most popular guy in town. With the Steelers it's ALL the backups, LOL.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    wouldnt you think that logic goes both ways?
    wasnt it harrison, thru his agent, that said he would not play for less but would only consider a restructure just a week or so ago?
    where's the respect for an organization that paid you millions and gave you multiple chances to make it in the nfl?
    maybe hes never taken a play off while in a game but he sure took off mini camp, otas, preseason and part of regular to rehab of his knee that he should have had taken care of after the denver loss. harrison would have a whole lot more leverage if he played the entire season instead of vacationing during the beginning

that said, im all for bringing him back at a reasonable amount
    If James Harrison's work ethic is vacationing to you then there really isn't much more that I can add to this debate. I'm certain either his doctor or the Steeler doctor instructed him to wait prior to actually having the surgery. Allowing an injury to heal on its own is the preferred remedy not going under the knife. Once he had the surgery he rehabbed and got back on the field as quickly as possible. I'm not sure where the "he took off mini camp, otas and preseason" comes from, but you're entitled.

Every player postures prior to negotiations and that's all he was doing. He knows, his agent knows and the Steelers know that a cut is really the only way for this to work for the Steelers. Like I said, he needs to decide how much of a cut he's willing to take to continue playing for the Steelers or he'll in all likelihood be playing elsewhere in 2013.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 03-06-2013 at 11:20 PM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope they bring back James Harrison but at a discount rate. I think he has 2 years still left in his tank if his snaps are reduced.

Draft Jarvis Jones if he is available in Rd 1 and let him take over Harrison spot in 2014.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Personally I would like to see Harrison remain a Steeler, but at the same time realize the Steelers have a cap issue to contend with not only this year but in the future as well.
    He said he isn't willing to take a pay cut of his 6.75 mill, but I don't see how the Steelers can restructure without making their cap hit worse in 2014 and beyond. Maybe they have a way but I don't see it.
    As good as James is I don't see another team willing to pay him almost 7 mill a year, so in the end James might want to rethink his options.
    Lets say the Steelers offer 4.5 mill, does he turn that down?

Has anyone here thought the reason James is refusing a pay cut is because of Lamar Woodley? He's probably thinking why ask me only and not him. We all know Lamar underperformed even when he was healthier so I wonder if this has anything to do with Harrison's stance.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

CUT NOW: 2013 HIT $4.9 MIL (DEAD MONEY) CAP SAVINGS $5.1 MIL 2014 CAP HIT $0

CONVERT 5.5 OF BASE & ADD YEAR: 2013 HIT $6.4 MIL CAP SAVINGS $3.6 MIL 2014 CAP HIT CUT $5.1 MIL (DEAD MONEY) 2014 CAP SAVINGS $3.9 MIL 2015 CAP HIT $0

Ugly either way. I guess it is a matter of when you need the money and when you want to clear the books.

Here is what I would offer him:
    PAY CUT 4 MIL OF BASE: 2013 HIT $6 MIL CAP SAVINGS $4 MIL

Incentive for 2013: (Lead team in sacks ADD $2 mil) (Finish in Top 4 in TOT ADD $1 mil) (Start 14 games ADD $1 mil) (Injury Clause IR before week 9 ADD 1 mil)

If he hits all incentives: 2014 CAP HIT CUT $5.4 MIL (DEAD MONEY) 2014 CAP SAVINGS $3.6 MIL 2015 CAP HIT $0

Backup

User Info Menu

James Harrison has a sick work ethic. Anyone who questions his work ethic is a fool.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Some people won't be satisfied until all the starters are removed & replaced with the much higher skilled, but under-used back-ups.
    Shame on us!

That would mean we have to acknowledge the Fo knows what it is doing.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    wasnt it harrison, thru his agent, that said he would not play for less but would only consider a restructure just a week or so ago?
    That was never said in the article, it was just part of a misguided headline. Read the article again and find where it says that Harrison will not play for less.

Administrator

User Info Menu

The Steelers might need to just cut him. I hate that the FO is continuously pushing these large contracts further and further out. At least if they cut some of these players now, things will look MUCH MUCH better in 2014 and beyond.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    The Steelers might need to just cut him. I hate that the FO is continuously pushing these large contracts further and further out. At least if they cut some of these players now, things will look MUCH MUCH better in 2014 and beyond.
    I would generally agree with this. EXCEPT for Ben. We have a great QB and it would be a shame to "waste" one of his productive years by taking the hit now. What if Ben actually had a season in which he was fully healthy all year (and for the playoffs)? But, in that one year, we cut Troy, JH, Kiesel, and Ike to save next year's cap so the D wasn't there for us to go over the top.

I'm all for pushing cap back for as long as Big Ben is playing for this team. After he retires, I would eat all the cap. The team will likely take a big step back then anyway.