Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodley have not restructure yet?

Legend

User Info Menu

23 passes defended last year, good for 2nd in the NFL
    INT's are only 1 part of the equation

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    They don't have to cut anyone yet. They are under the cap. The real question will be what happens after players are tendered their RFA. I would say Harrison is going to get cut at this point and that Dwyer will not get tendered.

Actually after signing Gay they are back over the cap.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Actually after signing Gay they are back over the cap.
    You are correct. I hadn't realized what the first year cap hit for Gay looked like. However, it does confirm for me they don't believe Lewis will be back.

They still have to tender RFA's and have 4 million under the cap to sign draft picks. They still need about 7 to 8 million more dollars to do this.

Lewis is a goner.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    23 passes defended last year, good for 2nd in the NFL
    INT's are only 1 part of the equation
    Yes, Interceptions are only part of the equation. But....you don't usually create that many turnovers in three games without being in the right spot.

Turnovers are most valuable and defending passes is obviously a good thing.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Yes, Interceptions are only part of the equation. But....you don't usually create that many turnovers in three games without being in the right spot.

Turnovers are most valuable and defending passes is obviously a good thing.
    Ok... you would rather keep old-timer Ike (will be 33.5 by the start of the season) who is proven throughout his entire career that he can't catch a cold over a guy that is going to be in his prime and got 1 INT last year?

Makes sense.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

You are correct. I hadn't realized what the first year cap hit for Gay looked like. However, it does confirm for me they don't believe Lewis will be back.

They still have to tender RFA's and have 4 million under the cap to sign draft picks. They still need about 7 to 8 million more dollars to do this.

Lewis is a goner.
    They might not even tender all the RFA's. But if they do, all RFA's & ERFA's, it'll cost the Steelers (on the lowest tender for each player) just over $7m. That is close to what the Steelers would save in restructuring Woodley. If they restructure Harrison too, they might have room to even sign a couple of low priced FA's.

Chances of signing Lewis appear very slim at best.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Ok... you would rather keep old-timer Ike (will be 33.5 by the start of the season) who is proven throughout his entire career that he can't catch a cold over a guy that is going to be in his prime and got 1 INT last year?

Makes sense.
    ????? I'm talking Allen over Lewis. It is not simply a case of Taylor or Lewis. Taylor is under contract. Lewis is not. Lewis is going to get an offer structured in a manner the Steelers won't be able to match.

I like Allen. He played very well in his two starts to end the season. I think the Steelers value him much more than Lewis.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    They might not even tender all the RFA's. But if they do, all RFA's & ERFA's, it'll cost the Steelers (on the lowest tender for each player) just over $7m. That is close to what the Steelers would save in restructuring Woodley. If they restructure Harrison too, they might have room to even sign a couple of low priced FA's.

I think Harrison is gone and they will eventually restructure Woodley to squeeze in a low level free agent.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post

Some on this board say the Steelers can easily re-sign Lewis, but I have to agree with you, it doesn't look likely at all.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Teams have three days to negotiate with there own FA before Free Agency begins. There will be a feeling out process if no deal is in place. I think Woodley's restructure, Harrison's outcome, and Lewis are all tied together. One of Harrison - Woodley cap relief has to take place for tenders. There has to be movement on both to retain Lewis on top of that. If they can't get Lewis done before he hits the street they may look elsewhere for draft pool if Lewis signs elsewhere.
    Actually, teams now have three days to negotiate with other teams' free agents before Free Agency begins. You can negotiate with your own free agents at any time. It's the new "legal tampering" window. In the past, tampering was supposedly illegal, and yet teams still somehow signed big money free agents at 12:03 on the first day of free agency, even though agents and GM's weren't supposed to have any contact prior to that time. At least three days worth of "legal tampering" makes such contracts appear to be above board.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.