Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Thinking outside the " corner"

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Then why do they have Ike covering the other team's #1, while lining up Lewis against the next guy? If Lewis is our best corner then you'd think that he would routinely cover the other team's best receiver.
    Because Ike can run with and tackle most anybody. The problem is he can't play the ball. If teams were smarter, they'd still throw at Ike even when he has coverage. See the Tennessee game this year.

    Targeting Keenan doesn't work. He breaks up passes. He did nothing before this last year so he's not leapfrogging Ike. But I do think he's ready to take the next step and be better than Ike.

    Cortez is every bit the athlete that Ike is and can play the ball. He's gonna be the long term #1 guy in our secondary. Ike even says Cortez will be better than Ike ever was.

  2. #12
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    I think it was Wexell who said:



    His view is: Signing Gay makes Lewis a goner. He thinks the Steelers like Allen better than Lewis. The top three CB's will be Taylor,Allen,Gay and a rookie.
    The Steelers have to keep Lewis, Cortez, and Gay for the long run. Our coverage will be so good, we'll get pressure. Get a ballhawking FS and look out, this defense could be right back to forcing turnovers.

  3. #13
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,407
    Starting to really think that the Steelers are ready to let Lewis test the market.

    If that is the case, Chadman is of the opinion that Lewis will sign somewhere else on Day 1, much like Wallace.

    Actually- they are best mates- can anyone say Package Deal?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  4. #14
    steelers have already said they will let lewis test the market.

    if he walks, I hope they lock up cortez sooner rather than later. Not happy about seeing very good players like wallace and lewis walk away in their mid 20's. Lets hope that doesn't continue.

  5. #15
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    steelers have already said they will let lewis test the market.

    if he walks, I hope they lock up cortez sooner rather than later. Not happy about seeing very good players like wallace and lewis walk away in their mid 20's. Lets hope that doesn't continue.
    i will be pissed if lewis leaves and they still keep harrison around.
    now im not saying to break the bank for lewis, but if he could be kept for a littlle less than fair market value(hometown discount) and they let him walk because of cap numbers, im gonna scream

  6. #16
    I also do think it would great to lock up Lewis, and able to keeping Allen. But how is it possible with the team being so cap strapped, and will continue to be so in the future, I rather keep Allen and hopefully find CB in the draft who can play some dime and be replacement as start when Ike leaves, via cut or age. Ike is not going anywhere this year and next year. He is too solid and durable, knows the system to well.

    I think the DBs will still be solid to dynamic this year, even if we lose Lewis. IKe (solid), Allen ( who catches the ball and makes things happen) Gay ( good to decent in our system) and Troy and Clark. Add in a rookie.

    Would the team be better off chasing a Halley RB in FA, or even a top tier OL, LB, WR (no Wallace)?

  7. #17
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    I'm having a hard time seeing them let Lewis go. Lewis and Allen could be the strength of the Defense for years to come.

  8. #18
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,525
    Definately think ALLEN will be the better CB over LEWIS.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  9. #19
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,582
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler_george View Post
    I also do think it would great to lock up Lewis, and able to keeping Allen. But how is it possible with the team being so cap strapped, and will continue to be so in the future, I rather keep Allen and hopefully find CB in the draft who can play some dime and be replacement as start when Ike leaves, via cut or age. Ike is not going anywhere this year and next year. He is too solid and durable, knows the system to well.

    I think the DBs will still be solid to dynamic this year, even if we lose Lewis. IKe (solid), Allen ( who catches the ball and makes things happen) Gay ( good to decent in our system) and Troy and Clark. Add in a rookie.

    Would the team be better off chasing a Halley RB in FA, or even a top tier OL, LB, WR (no Wallace)?

    CUT harrison, release colon, ask troy to take a paycut...............the first 2 options we control.

  10. #20
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,407
    Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    CUT harrison, release colon, ask troy to take a paycut...............the first 2 options we control.
    Cutting Harrison & Colon then requires the team to replace them. Could be that Worilds is Harrison's replacement, but there has only been marginal evidence that this will be an effective replacement. Cutting Colon means either re-signing Foster (there go the savings on cutting Colon), promoting Beachum (are we really sure about this?) or drafting a replacement.

    What Chadman is saying is- there's an effect for every cause, and there's no guarentee that cutting Harrison & Colon actually helps this team, as there is no 'set in stone' option 2 for either option.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •