Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: William Gay talking to steelers but no contract yet

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ed: No Downside to Signing William Gay Monday, 04 March 2013 07:37 Written by Ed Bouchette Good morning,
    There’s a surprising negative feedback on William Gay’s return to the Steelers, if indeed that happens today. Not long after word filtered out through Gay that he was coming back, fans began slamming the move.
    Their reaction, judging by response on my Twitter account, had to be 10-1 negative.
    Here are some of those responses:
    --- “This has to be a joke. William Gay stinks!!!!”
    --- “Nooo.’’
    ---“Nooooooo.’’
    --- “Noooooooooooo.’’
    --- “They’re going to let Lewis walk and take back the worst liability on the team in the last 20 years??”
    --- “Gay is terrible!!! Are we giving up on the 2013 season? Ugh. Hope he fails the physical.’’
    --- “Yo Steelers front office, YOU ARE GOING THE WRONG WAY.’’
    --- “Say it ain’t so!!!”
    Well, you get the idea. It’s not a popular move at the moment. But what would the Steelers be doing by signing Gay? Hurting themselves? Hardly. They will be better at cornerback, deeper, with more experience.
    Signing Gay will have no effect on whether they keep Keenan Lewis or not. It might show they fear losing Lewis, and they’re trying to shore up the position any way they can. If Lewis receives an attractive offer in free agency, he’s gone because they Steelers won’t be paying him a ton to stay.
    Where does that leave them? With Cortez Allen starting at left cornerback and Gay playing in the slot in the nickel – unless one of the young cornerbacks asserts himself and takes the job from him. It’s a no-lose situation for the Steelers. They have a 90-man roster through training camp, so where’s the downside?
    Gay also is not old. He’s 28 and, if by chance he would start, he would be the youngest starter in their secondary. In my opinion, he was at his best when he played the nickel, but he did start 15 games at cornerback in 2010 and the Steelers came within six points of winning the Super Bowl that season.
    Adding Gay to their mix at cornerback only helps the Steelers

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Gay was good in zone....maybe we are going to the 4-3 tampa 2
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Heard it's a done deal.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I didn't like Gay before and I don't like him now for the team. I'm having less and less faith with the front office when they let players go, bring them back.... Gay, McFadden, Foote, Randell El. The only one that has worked out is Foote and still, he's nothing to get excited about. All this tells me is this, " they're not developing players as they should. They're not evaluating talent as they should. " That's two do overs we have from the Cardinals now. Pretty soon we will e Cardinals East lol.

I'm telling you guys, be prepared for a lot of 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 seasons with the Steelers. I see hardly any stars or stars on the rise player wise for our Steelers.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Heard it's a done deal.

The signing is confirmed per Tribune Review, a three year deal.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    I didn't like Gay before and I don't like him now for the team. I'm having less and less faith with the front office when they let players go, bring them back.... Gay, McFadden, Foote, Randell El. The only one that has worked out is Foote and still, he's nothing to get excited about. All this tells me is this, " they're not developing players as they should.
    This makes no sense to me...

Who do you think developed William Gay? McFadden? Randle El?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    ..Signing Gay will have no effect on whether they keep Keenan Lewis or not. It might show they fear losing Lewis, and they’re trying to shore up the position any way they can.
    Uhhhhhhhh if Lewis leaves this doesn't shore up anything. It's like trying to plug a 10 foot hole in a boat with a cork.

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    If Lewis receives an attractive offer in free agency, he’s gone because they Steelers won’t be paying him a ton to stay.
    Bouchette is clueless. Of course some team is going to offer Lewis a ton of money. I'ts a premium position and Lewis has shown major improvement. 23 passes defensed will get you a ton of money thrown at you.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Uhhhhhhhh if Lewis leaves this doesn't shore up anything. It's like trying to plug a 10 foot hole in a boat with a cork.

Bouchette is clueless. Of course some team is going to offer Lewis a ton of money. I'ts a premium position and Lewis has shown major improvement. 23 passes defensed will get you a ton of money thrown at you.
    But I thought you said the Steelers don't lose anyone they want to keep? This moves certainly smacks of them thinking Lewis is gone (And you know they would like to keep him).

Gay is a good slot or nickel CB in our system. He won't be playing on the outside. I could see them offering Allen a contract this off-season.

CB may be a real possibility in RD1.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post

I can't blame the Steelers for signing Gay, we need some depth back there if we lose Lewis. Gay knows our system and is a step above what we have backing up the starters.
    The Steelers would like to sign Lewis and its still a possibility, if he gets an offer that we can't match, its business we can't break the bank for one player no matter how good he is.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    But I thought you said the Steelers don't lose anyone they want to keep? This moves certainly smacks of them thinking Lewis is gone (And you know they would like to keep him).

Gay is a good slot or nickel CB in our system. He won't be playing on the outside. I could see them offering Allen a contract this off-season.

CB may be a real possibility in RD1.
    I think the move says more about how bad depth is at CB if one of the starting 3 go down. The 4th corner now needs to be starter capable. Gay can do that better then the rest of the special teamers/back ups. Heck you better have a up and coming CB to be the 5th guy or a good cover safety in todays NFL.
    Last edited by SS Laser; 03-04-2013 at 03:28 PM.