Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: William Gay talking to steelers but no contract yet

Legend

User Info Menu

This move probably means that one of Victorian or Van Dyke is not back.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    This move probably means that one of Victorian or Van Dyke is not back.
    let's hope that this signing means Josh Victorian never again steps onto the field as a Pittsburgh Steeler in you know, an actual game...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Length of the deal is interesting- 3 years.

As much as Chadman doesn't like adding his voice to "The Chicken Little's", this signing does look a little like insurance against losing Lewis, OR insurance if they cut Taylor.

Chadman has said all along that if Lewis actually makes it to FA, you can kiss him goodbye. Someone will offer him enough that the Steelers can't match.

Funny, but reading most analysts views on the FA class this year, it's all Steeler FA's that will command the big money- Lewis, Wallace & Mendenhall.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Devontez Walker WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Starter

User Info Menu

i am wondering if they will move cortez to safety, but only if they re-sign lewis.

that would leave lewis and taylor as the starters with gay as the nickle and brown/victorian in the dime.

it also improves our STs.

and the safety position gets a nice bump. those 4 could be polamalu,clark,golden and cortez.

the secondary suddenly looks quite promising and deep.

not sure if that is what the FO is thinkin(frickin doubt it) but that would be sweet if it turned out like that.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

$500k signing bonus over 3 years. Guys...It is only insurance for this year. They could cut him any time after 2013 with very little dead money. Gay took reps at FS and he is a very good ST player. Quality depth and they still will try and sign Lewis.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I kind of like Willie as the nickel, with Keenan an Ike at the CB's and a healthy Troy and Clark at the S's with Allen and Brown backing up.

Would be nice if we could draft a S with an early pick. Clark is a nice player to have as he can play either safety position, and quite frankly him & Timmons were the only Steelers to really strike fear in anyone last year. With his flexibility to play either, we can pick either safety position based on best safety available.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 03-04-2013 at 07:40 PM.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    $500k signing bonus over 3 years. Guys...It is only insurance for this year. They could cut him any time after 2013 with very little dead money. Gay took reps at FS and he is a very good ST player. Quality depth and they still will try and sign Lewis.
    Exactly...if he comes in this year and sucks it up a la BMac upon his return from the desert, then we just cut him next offseason. The dead money would only be 1/3 of a million dollars...that's nothing...Joe Flacco spends 1/3 of a million dollars on eyebrow waxing (or at least he should). Gay is getting a quality nickel corner who already knows the scheme for extremely minimal risk. So Gay is not better than Ike or Keenan or Cortez...they aren't paying him to be that. But he is better than Brown and Victorian and Van Dyke right now. That's what the Gay bashers (for lack of a better term) aren't seeing. He's a depth player who will contribute in nickel and dime defenses and on special teams. I'll take it.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Exactly...if he comes in this year and sucks it up a la BMac upon his return from the desert, then we just cut him next offseason. The dead money would only be 1/3 of a million dollars...that's nothing...Joe Flacco spends 1/3 of a million dollars on eyebrow waxing (or at least he should). Gay is getting a quality nickel corner who already knows the scheme for extremely minimal risk. So Gay is not better than Ike or Keenan or Cortez...they aren't paying him to be that. But he is better than Brown and Victorian and Van Dyke right now. That's what the Gay bashers (for lack of a better term) aren't seeing. He's a depth player who will contribute in nickel and dime defenses and on special teams. I'll take it.

Good analysis RuthlessBurgher, at any rate our secondary is stronger than yesterday. If we somehow sign Keenan this secondary would be really good, although I wouldn't bank on him being signed....we'll see.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Exactly. I like the signing. Gay is a solid DB that will provide us some depth in a position whose importance has risen exponentially the last few years. That will give Brown and Van Dyke some more time for the light bulb to come on.
    How long does this light bulb take? Freaking Amish DB's...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

On top of bolstering the depth of the secondary with his experience, he sounds like a great character guy to have around....

From hardship, Steelers' Gay shares hope

By Scott Brown

Published: Sunday, November 13, 2011
    Go ahead and trash William Gay on a message board. Light up the cornerback who, even in the midst of a solid season, is the most likely Steeler to be torched on sports-talk radio.

But before you eviscerate the player beaten on the Ravens' winning touchdown a week ago, draw back the curtain and look at the man.

Go back to last November, when Gay arrived at a Pittsburgh shelter to serve Thanksgiving dinner.

Look at the arch of his eyebrows when Barbara Nicholas, the development director of the Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh, informs him he is at a haven for abused women.

Watch Gay tell his story to women with cuts and bruises that are as raw as their psyche is wounded.

Gay tells them how brave they are for leaving a bad situation, something his mother tried to do when she was fatally shot. He tells them how courageous they are for taking refuge in a building where some of the windows are bulletproof.

He later stops at every table, individually talking with the women and children.

He listens to them. He hugs them. He understands them.

"It was just so real," said Nicholas, her voice catching a bit at the recollection. "It was such a genuine moment for everyone."

Moments such as these are why Joe Whitt Jr. wonders whether fans would be so tough on Gay if they knew what he has had to overcome. Whitt was Gay's position coach at Louisville. They have taken different paths to the NFL but remain close.

"People can say what they want about the football player -- that's fine," said Whitt, who is in his second season as Green Bay's secondary coach. "But the character, the man• You can't say anything about the man because I know what he is. I know I couldn't go through the things he's had to work through."

Rising from the depths

Here's something you might not know about William Gay: He graduated from Louisville in 3 1/2 years with a degree in sports administration.

He never took fewer than 15 credits in a semester despite the demands of major college football. And he always picked his own classes.

"I didn't want to be that guy that had to depend on academic advisors telling me what I need to take, telling me what I don't have to take because of football," Gay said.

That need for control may stem from the time he didn't have it.

In 1992, Gay was 7 years old and living in Tallahassee, Fla. His mother was in an abusive relationship with his stepfather. The day she tried to leave, he shot her, then turned the gun on himself.

Carolyn Hall was 30 years old.

The bottom dropped out of Gay's world. He moved in with his grandmother, into an already crowded house where space was so tight that Gay sometimes shared a bedroom with three others.

He lashed out for the next couple of years. He fought constantly and caused enough trouble that he nearly got kicked out of school.

The turning point came when his grandmother and an uncle told Gay he was on a track toward jail. Or worse.

Life is unfair, they told him. Get over it.

"I had to change, actually grow up," Gay said. "I wanted to succeed in life."

He became a good student, excelled in sports and earned a scholarship to Louisville.

He started parts of four seasons. He showed so much football acumen that he called the defensive signals as a senior -- almost unheard of for a cornerback. He also intercepted six passes his final season.

The Steelers drafted him in the fifth round in 2007. Gay has played in every game in five NFL seasons. He will make his 28th career start today in Cincinnati.

He is plugged in enough to social and mainstream media to realize that his 28 starts are 28 too many for some people. Gay is largely indifferent to the criticism; he has dealt with much worse. He will talk about his story, as deeply personal as it is, but he doesn't "broadcast" it.

"I don't want to use it as an excuse or something to say, 'If I don't do this, it's because of this,' " he said. "I hate to make excuses."

Criticism 'unwarranted'

One way to get blocked from Ryan Clark's Twitter account is to trash William Gay on it. And not just because of his backstory.

"I think a lot of the criticism he gets is unwarranted," said Clark, a Steelers free safety. "Yeah, people have made plays. People make plays on a lot of cornerbacks. But I think, as well as he's playing this season, that needs to be recognized also."

Gay, who signed a one-year deal in August, has allowed 23 catches in the 39 times (59 percent) his receiver has been targeted this season, according to STATS, LLC. Only one Steelers player has allowed a higher percentage of completions: Troy Polamalu, who has yielded 23 catches on 36 targets (63.9).

Gay had largely stayed under the radar until last Sunday. Ravens rookie receiver Torrey Smith got behind the 5-foot-10, 190-pounder late in the fourth quarter and caught the winning touchdown before a stunned Heinz Field crowd. Clark had been late in helping Gay on the play.

Gay took responsibility for the touchdown immediately after the 23-20 loss. He did the same thing three days later.

What didn't register much more than a blip was what had happened earlier on the Ravens' winning drive: Smith slipped behind cornerback Ike Taylor, who is having a Pro Bowl-caliber season, but dropped Joe Flacco's pass in the end zone.

"People don't know football. They don't come in on Mondays and watch what we see," said Taylor, who works out with Gay during the offseason. "Gay has gotten a whole lot better. I know how hard he worked in the offseason, and it's showing."

Active off the field

In a five-minute video he participated in for a domestic abuse campaign, Gay talks about going to the hospital after his mother was shot and asking repeatedly why he couldn't see her. He talks about the devastation of losing his mother at such a young age.

"If I had another chance to see my mother today, I would tell her that I love her and I know the courage she had to try to get out of her situation," Gay says. "I would tell her I truly believed in her."

Gay has done what he can to combat domestic abuse, the leading cause of injury among women 15-44 in the United States, according to the U.S. Surgeon General. He has donated his time for several public-service announcements. He is slated to speak to judges, parole officers and counselors, among others, about the need for preventive measures.

Gay has given the Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh a face for its campaign to combat domestic abuse. He also provides an example to kids living with domestic abuse and the sense of hopelessness that accompanies it.

"It's just great to have someone who is so thoughtful and considerate and really wise for how young he is to step forward," Nicholas said, "and do something so courageous and so meaningful -- not just for the women, but for the children."

Gay will return to the shelter in the coming weeks to serve dinner. He again will thank the women and children. He will tell them they are braver than they think. He will shine some desperately needed light into their lives.

Moments like these, away from the public, are why Whitt said, Gay "is somebody that I want my son to grow up to be like."

The son who grew up without his mother rolled up the jersey on his left arm after practice recently. He revealed a tattoo of a cross, framed by his mother's name and the date of her death.

"I know she's watching every day," Gay said. "It just brings joy to me that I'm doing things positive, and I know she's smiling. We'll be reunited one day."

Additional Information:
    In his words
    William Gay's testimonial on how domestic abuse affected him can be viewed at vimeo.com/19524006.

Some numbers on domestic abuse, according to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence:

• 1 in 4 women will be a victim of domestic violence.

• 1 in 3 teenage girls will be physically assaulted by a boyfriend.

• Boys who witness domestic violence in their homes are 1,500 times more likely to perpetrate abuse later in life.

Read more: [url]http://triblive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_767079.html#ixzz2McaqON7r[/url]
    Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook
    @_Hellgrammite