Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: William Gay talking to steelers but no contract yet

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Good analysis RuthlessBurgher, at any rate our secondary is stronger than yesterday. If we somehow sign Keenan this secondary would be really good, although I wouldn't bank on him being signed....we'll see.
    I think that the Steelers will put little effort into retaining Lewis now that they got Gay back. They have probably done a market assessment that the offers Lewis will get they can't match. IMO they plan to move Allen into Lewis' spot.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I think that the Steelers will put little effort into retaining Lewis now that they got Gay back. They have probably done a market assessment that the offers Lewis will get they can't match. IMO they plan to move Allen into Lewis' spot.
    The effort will be there, they may have already talked to his agent prior to signing Gay and seen they were far apart on the money. Moving Allen to lewis' spot won't be a down grade and it's not like Lewis is the second coming of Mel Blount, he had one good year.
    Its the business of the game with the cap at the forefront, the Steelers would like to keep more of their own but simply can't tie up too much in one players salary.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Exactly...if he comes in this year and sucks it up a la BMac upon his return from the desert, then we just cut him next offseason. The dead money would only be 1/3 of a million dollars...that's nothing...Joe Flacco spends 1/3 of a million dollars on eyebrow waxing (or at least he should). Gay is getting a quality nickel corner who already knows the scheme for extremely minimal risk. So Gay is not better than Ike or Keenan or Cortez...they aren't paying him to be that. But he is better than Brown and Victorian and Van Dyke right now. That's what the Gay bashers (for lack of a better term) aren't seeing. He's a depth player who will contribute in nickel and dime defenses and on special teams. I'll take it.
    I agree. I don't think there is much of a relationship between the Gay signings and the Lewis negotiations. Gay is a valuable asset in sub packages but he's not a #1 or a #2.

btw... like your mock draft. My only question is WR unless you think we'll sign Wallace.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    This makes no sense to me...

Who do you think developed William Gay? McFadden? Randle El?

I mean since then. They're taking steps backwards because they don't have the players to perform in the needed areas. Our corners have never been anything to brag about if you ask me and then decide Gay is something that could be of help to the team......no, I don't see it other than more mediocrity.
    I'm currious to see if the Steelers over pay or another team over pays for Lewis. Just another corner that can't make the interception. If they're going to get rid of anyone, drop Ike Taylor. Ike's 33 years old, can't intercept the ball as much as you would like and isn''t getting any faster and will never be a ball hawk.
    Maybe tossing Ike will free up money to keep a Lewis, a younger player Even with that as I said, Lewis isn't proven yet one way or anoter but, I'd rather gamble on keeping Lewis over Ike.
    You guys must have forgotten how bad Gay would get burned, be out of position only to walk back to the huddle laughing that he got burned. Who signed him anyway, Cowher or Tomlin ?

Legend

User Info Menu

My mental highlight reel of Gay is all the times he got burned because he was so far out of position, usually in no-man's land which made me think at the time he couldn't figure out where he should be ... and him reaching up from the ground like some crawfish as Adrian Peterson (?) used him for a foot mat to start off his 30 yard gain.

Maybe he'd be fine if he stayed in the nickel position, I hope mission creep doesn't come into play here.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Rookie

User Info Menu

William Gay is on my list of top 10 least favorite Steelers of all-time. He is terrible.