Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking a QB early

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LordVile View Post
    .. we all know this draft sucks for QB's..
    I'm sure there are a couple guys that can be productive NFL'ers. Russell Wilson was supposed to be a mediocre QB and look at him. With that said, if we do draft a QB earlier on, I would guess Tomlin takes EJ Manuel since he is racist.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I could see taking one early in future drafts, we have too many needs besides a QB with a clip board at this time. When you need an OLB,TE,WR,S,ILB,RB, those positions become priority and QB becomes an after thought.
    QB is NEVER an afterthought, no matter what. BB gets hurt every year; we need someone who can PLAY the position for when that happens. Having only Batch AND Lefty is almost as bad as having NO ONE. Many of the positions you listed are not in the red - meaning we could get by for another year with Woodley and Harrison at OLB, Troy and Clark at S, Foote and Timmons at ILB. Also, it is time to put someone on the roster who push the sloppy and lazy Bonehead Ben.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    That's why they scout. You don't just put down on a peice of paper "Draft QB in 3rd Round"
    You rate guys on HOW they can help your team in the future.

Take Kirk Cousins ... he was there in the 4th round last year and the Redskins saw value in HIM (not the QB position).
    And they got ripped for it but they turned out to be right. Cousins won a game in CLE for them and played well.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    They won't be adding any QB to 'push or threaten' their $100m+ Franchise QB.
    However you want to perceive it: whether it is designed to push him, or just to put a competent QB who can play at a fairly high level because BB will get hurt - they need to improve the back up QB spot, as right now, it is the worst in the NFL. Having someone who fans might start calling for when Ben returns to Bonehead Ben is just a plus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    I'm ok with it if the Steelers think they have spotted an underrated talent. A guy like Landry Jones interests me a great deal.
    Look, I am not advocating a 1st or 2nd round QB pick, but someone like Jones does interest me. Here are some prospects to consider going for.

62 EJ Manuel QB 6 Florida State 6-5 237 2 - could be too early (2nd).
    84 *Tyler Bray QB 7 Tennessee Jr 6-6 232 2-3 - huge dude with cannon arm, needs refined
    111 Landry Jones QB 8 Oklahoma 6-4 225 3-4 - could be the right fit
    146 Zac DysertInjured QB 9 Miami (Ohio)6-3 231 4-5 - I think he's overrated
    167 Matt Scott QB 10 Arizona rSr 6-2 213 5

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    They won't be adding any QB to 'push or threaten' their $100m+ Franchise QB.
    Agreed.

There is certainly an argument to be made for adding a strong backup QB, but it is not to push Ben.

The QB is the most important player on the field. Ben has missed a few games over the past few seasons, and having a solid backup behind him is important. The quality of the backup QB can be the difference of a few wins or losses very easily.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Agreed.

There is certainly an argument to be made for adding a strong backup QB, but it is not to push Ben.

The QB is the most important player on the field. Ben has missed a few games over the past few seasons, and having a solid backup behind him is important. The quality of the backup QB can be the difference of a few wins or losses very easily.
    agreed. For those that think there are "locker room issues" from 2012, what happens when you throw in a QB controversy?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

They already claimed John Parker Wilson off waivers. I would be OK with them waiting until next year to draft a QB, just too many other needs this year imo. We may have more comp. picks next year. Pick up another QB off waivers for competition with Wilson. Forget about Lefty, and keep Batch as #3.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    agreed. For those that think there are "locker room issues" from 2012, what happens when you throw in a QB controversy?
    What happens? Well being that one of the contributing factors in poor locker room chemistry is Ben to begin with, it might help more than hurt. He might have to actually put in some effort, not just on the field, but off of it, making him a better player.
    Last edited by lloydroid; 03-04-2013 at 06:36 PM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by thor75 View Post
    They already claimed John Parker Wilson off waivers. I would be OK with them waiting until next year to draft a QB, just too many other needs this year imo. We may have more comp. picks next year. Pick up another QB off waivers for competition with Wilson. Forget about Lefty, and keep Batch as #3.
    The reason why the above would be an improvement is that without Lefty at #2, we should have a QB at 2 who isn't an automatic injury within 1 game, like Lefty, so we have a better chance of not having to use Batch. But, dear God, I don't want any situation where we have to use Charlie. He was awesome in the Balt. game last year, but I don't want to risk needing a miracle to win again. Come on, Pgh, give us some QBs who have a CHANCE at developing; not all these injury prone old guys with no upside. Dear GOD.