Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: Taking a QB early

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026

    Taking a QB early

    I never thought I'd be saying this, but I wouldn't mind them taking a QB by the 3rd round, even though we have so many needs. Why?

    1. We have no depth after 7.
    2. I'd like to see a QB good enough behind Ben who would actually push and threaten BB.

    Let's face it: Fans and coaches are not going to consider benching Ben with a Batch or Lefty. But a young QB with legit hope of developing could create a little fire in the belly of the bonehead, who thinks game and season-losing interceptions are funny. Not to mention, BB may only have a few years left regardless, and his contract is up in 3 years. It might be time to start planning for Steeler football post BB. And maybe a decent prospect, that the fans start wanting to see play instead of Mr. Bonehead, what-me-worry, lost-his-clutch-gene BB.

    Throw out some QBs who'd be worth looking at in the 3rd-round or later.

  2. #2
    Pro Bowler supersteeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    1,089
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I never thought I'd be saying this, but I wouldn't mind them taking a QB by the 3rd round, even though we have so many needs. Why?

    1. We have no depth after 7.
    2. I'd like to see a QB good enough behind Ben who would actually push and threaten BB.

    Let's face it: Fans and coaches are not going to consider benching Ben with a Batch or Lefty. But a young QB with legit hope of developing could create a little fire in the belly of the bonehead, who thinks game and season-losing interceptions are funny. Not to mention, BB may only have a few years left regardless, and his contract is up in 3 years. It might be time to start planning for Steeler football post BB. And maybe a decent prospect, that the fans start wanting to see play instead of Mr. Bonehead, what-me-worry, lost-his-clutch-gene BB.

    Throw out some QBs who'd be worth looking at in the 3rd-round or later.
    I could see taking one early in future drafts, we have too many needs besides a QB with a clip board at this time. When you need an OLB,TE,WR,S,ILB,RB, those positions become priority and QB becomes an after thought.

  3. #3
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I could see taking one early in future drafts, we have too many needs besides a QB with a clip board at this time. When you need an OLB,TE,WR,S,ILB,RB, those positions become priority and QB becomes an after thought.
    QB is NEVER an afterthought, no matter what. BB gets hurt every year; we need someone who can PLAY the position for when that happens. Having only Batch AND Lefty is almost as bad as having NO ONE. Many of the positions you listed are not in the red - meaning we could get by for another year with Woodley and Harrison at OLB, Troy and Clark at S, Foote and Timmons at ILB. Also, it is time to put someone on the roster who push the sloppy and lazy Bonehead Ben.

  4. #4
    Hall of Famer SidSmythe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western NY (south of Rochester, NY)
    Posts
    2,592
    That's why they scout. You don't just put down on a peice of paper "Draft QB in 3rd Round"
    You rate guys on HOW they can help your team in the future.

    Take Kirk Cousins ... he was there in the 4th round last year and the Redskins saw value in HIM (not the QB position).
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    That's why they scout. You don't just put down on a peice of paper "Draft QB in 3rd Round"
    You rate guys on HOW they can help your team in the future.

    Take Kirk Cousins ... he was there in the 4th round last year and the Redskins saw value in HIM (not the QB position).
    And they got ripped for it but they turned out to be right. Cousins won a game in CLE for them and played well.

  6. #6
    Hall of Famer Sugar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,104
    I could see them taking a QB early IF they plan on trading Ben. However, I don't think they need anyone to "push" him for a starting job. He's already one of the best in the NFL and his competitive nature is unquestioned by all but the willfully blind. I do agree, however, that they do need to get some competent younger backups in by the time camp starts so that they can have a full offseasons activities under their belt for the inevitable stretch where Ben is out.

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,484
    They won't be adding any QB to 'push or threaten' their $100m+ Franchise QB.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  8. #8
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,379
    They used a 4th on Sepulveda. So the Steelers must view their 4-7 round picks as gambles/throw aways. I wouldn't expect a QB before round 4 unless they know Ben is done in the next couple years.

  9. #9
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    They won't be adding any QB to 'push or threaten' their $100m+ Franchise QB.
    However you want to perceive it: whether it is designed to push him, or just to put a competent QB who can play at a fairly high level because BB will get hurt - they need to improve the back up QB spot, as right now, it is the worst in the NFL. Having someone who fans might start calling for when Ben returns to Bonehead Ben is just a plus.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    They won't be adding any QB to 'push or threaten' their $100m+ Franchise QB.
    Agreed.

    There is certainly an argument to be made for adding a strong backup QB, but it is not to push Ben.

    The QB is the most important player on the field. Ben has missed a few games over the past few seasons, and having a solid backup behind him is important. The quality of the backup QB can be the difference of a few wins or losses very easily.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •