Thread: The Main Positions and Players The Steelers need to play well in 2013/ Draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Main Positions and Players The Steelers need to play well in 2013/ Draft

Obviously we'll need everyone to step up their play, but some positions that are in the forefront could have a lasting effect on how we perform this new season.

Left Tackle:

The projection is for Gilbert to play that position, we'll need him to at least equal Starks play if not better, his competition Mike Adams is projected to play RT. These projections could change when they compete in camp but whoever winds up as the starter has to be consistent as this might be the most critical of them all.

OLB:

I'm less concerned about Lamar Woodley, I believe if healthy he'll be a force again, its the other side that fans are worried about. With a healthy James Harrison we wouldn't have much to worry about outside of him getting injured, but will he be here? I would prefer to keep JH, but the cap issues may not allow it so if he leaves this will be another position to be concerned about.
    Jason Worlids shows promise at pressuring the QB, the area he needs to improve on is stopping the run and pass coverage something James did well until injuries and age slowed him down. Losing James will create a void, and if it happpens OLB will be a priority in the draft hoping they get a good one that can compete for that position.
    Its unlikely we get one who could start, so its imperative Worlids plays well so we can groom the new guy. The backup to Worlids would be Carter at this point so thats where the draft pick could emerge by competing against him. As we know injuries haunted this team last season so if Worlids were to be injured we need better play than Carter at OLB.

TE:
    As you know Heath Miller is a question mark on when he will return, so this is another critical position the Steelers need to address in the draft and early. Paulson will be only a second year starter with Heath not playing, so whats the other option?
    Pope is on the roster but we don't even know if they keep him even so TE needs the attention in the draft. Its not only this year but the future for that position.
    Heath had one of his best seasons last year and one of the most consistent on offense but with his age and salary how much time is left with him? We must get his replacement now in this draft to at least groom or better yet compete this season for a starters position.

Obviously we need to address other positions in the draft besides what I mention above, but IMHO these are in the forefront.
    Safety, ILB, DE, RB, WR are positions we can address too, but might have to be later in the draft.

My personal mock has CB in round one, but it does address most positions, however with a pretty good secondary CB wouldn't be a main position that we need so it might be a matter of striking that pick and move up OLB in that spot or LT.
    Overall, at least IMO OLB,TE, RB appear to be positions we need help in right now, out of the three i would say either OLB or TE round one and two and not in any specific order.

In conclusion I would like to hear your opinion on specific positions, and which ones are the most needed and could give us immediate help.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think we have only 1 pos. that is in dire straights,and thats runningback,and feel if Lacy is the head of the class,should be are pick at 17! then olb/s is 2,te 3,wr 4,and think we should draft in that order

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

We should have more than a few choices on the top rated prospects, here is the list:

SCOUTS INC.'S TOP 32Player Pos. School Grade

1. Luke Joeckel* OT Texas A&M 97
    2. Sharrif Floyd* DT Florida 97
    3. Dee Milliner* CB Alabama 96
    4. Eric Fisher OT C. Michigan 96
    5. Chance Warmack G Alabama 96
    6. Star Lotulelei DT Utah 96
    7. Dion Jordan DE Oregon 95
    8. Ezekiel Ansah* DE BYU 95
    9. Barkevious Mingo* DE LSU 94
    10. Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma 94
    11. Jonathan Cooper OG N. Carolina 94
    12. Kenny Vaccaro S Texas 94
    13. Alec Ogletree* ILB Georgia 94
    14. Bjoern Werner* DE Florida St 93
    15. D.J. Fluker* OT Alabama 93
    16. Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri 92
    17. Tavon Austin* WR W. Virginia 92
    18. Sylvester Williams DT N. Carolina 92
    19. Geno Smith QB W. Virginia 90
    20. Jarvis Jones* OLB Georgia 90
    21. Keenan Allen* WR California 90
    22. Tyler Eifert TE Notre Dame 90
    23. Johnathan Jenkins DT Georgia 90
    24. Eddie Lacy* RB Alabama 90
    25. Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame 90
    26. Kawann Short DT Purdue 89
    27. Justin Hunter* WR Tennessee 89
    28. Zach Ertz* TE Stanford 89
    29. C. Patterson* WR Tennessee 88
    30. Kevin Minter* ILB LSU 89
    31. Blidi Wreh-Wilson CB UConn 88
    32. Desmond Trufant CB Washignton 87

Legend

User Info Menu

We have 2 big needs. Improve the pass rush and improve the RZ offense.

I think some guys can get healthy and fix our D. So I'll go with the offense and say we need a WR. We haven't been able to come back in the playoffs once we sent Santonio packing. Not having Santonio cost us at least 1 SuperBowl.