Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Charlie Batch is planning 2013 return to Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

Charlie Batch is planning 2013 return to Steelers

Charlie Batch is planning 2013 return to Steelers

By SteelCityRoller on Mar 1 2013

Even though many believed his emotional win over the Ravens in Week 13 was the final of his career, Batch seems pretty confident he will be on the roster when the 2013 season opens.

Apparently, Charlie Batch expects to be with the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2013, because he told Tim Benz and Bob McLaughlin of WXNX in Pittsburgh he had little reason to believe he wouldn't.

Nevermind the fact he is no longer under contract. According to Batch:

"My plan is to come back, and I haven't heard anything differently from the organization. And I think when you leave out of there at the end-of-the-year meetings, you know one way or the other. And they didn't tell me that they didn't want me back. So I think that's a good sign."

Batch began the 2012 season as the third-string quarterback behind franchise leader Ben Roethlisberger and experienced backup Byron Leftwich. When both Roethlisberger and Leftwich suffered rib injuries in the middle of the season, Batch stepped in to lead the team to one of it's most embarrassing losses, and one of it's most emotional victories ever.

He will turn 39 years old in 2013, the primary reason why many believed he would retire following the end of the 2012 season. However, Batch doesn't seem to feel like age has anything to do with it. He still feels capable and viable, and believes the team still wants his veteran experience and leadership on the sidelines.

Pittsburgh currently has only two passers under contract: Roethlisberger and recently claimed John Parker Wilson. It is unknown whether the team will invite Leftwich back to camp to compete for one of the two backup spots behind Roethlisberger, or if the team will draft a quarterback for the same purpose. The team kept four quarterbacks heading into the 2012 preseason, with the fourth guy - Jerrod Johnson - becoming a victim of final cuts.

If Batch does receive another contract offer and survive pre-season cuts, he will be participating in his 16th season in the NFL, an astonishing feat for any player regardless of statistical performance or depth chart rankings.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/1/4042392/charlie-batch-is-planning-2013-return-to-steelers/in/3614167[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Love the Batch and his heart, but Charlie, honestly, I think you are in a little denial here. If he stays with the Steelers, it may very well be as a QB coach.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lefty is gone, and we have no QB other than Batch to backup Ben, so Batch is our guy for now.
    For the last several years fans thought he would be released, but he's like the energizer bunny, just keeps going.....

I'll never forget the year Ben was suspended for the first four games, and fans were wondering if we could split at best, but we wound up winning three of four with Batch. Then last year against all odds he trapped the Rats with a big win.
    If this keeps going like this Batch could become the next George Blanda playing into his mid fourties

Legend

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers need to upgrade the #2 QB position from Leftwich, but I think Batch makes a lot of sense as a number 3. First, he has proven that he can be effective, and second, he can work with a young QB.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Didn't Charlie Batch claim bankruptcy or something? That's the reason he's still playing... If that is the case, he should be more humble about what he says... the team basically is bailing him out of water by continually giving him a job he's not up for every year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Lefty is gone, and we have no QB other than Batch to backup Ben, so Batch is our guy for now.
    For the last several years fans thought he would be released, but he's like the energizer bunny, just keeps going.....
    Yeah, says alot about our defense doesn't it? We were still able to win despite having Charlie Batch as our QB.....
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Didn't Charlie Batch claim bankruptcy or something? That's the reason he's still playing... If that is the case, he should be more humble about what he says... the team basically is bailing him out of water by continually giving him a job he's not up for every year.
    What did he say that was not humble?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Seems like welfare at this point.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Helllllzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz to the nossssssssssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeee

Ever hear of going out on top? His game vs. the future world champs was one of our only highlights of the year. 39. Barely any arm strength left, and if he is needed can only last 2 games or so before he will be hurt. If this is Pgh's answer for back up QB, they are complete idiots.

No, no, no. Nice game vs. the Ravens Charlie, but it's the end of the road.
    Last edited by lloydroid; 03-02-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Love the Batch and his heart, but Charlie, honestly, I think you are in a little denial here. If he stays with the Steelers, it may very well be as a QB coach.
    Not if the team keeps pumping him up. For the Steelers to continue to do this is the real problem. This is ultimately a death sentence for the Steelers should Ben get hurt again. They go nowhere but backwards with Charlie Batch Quarterbacking them.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash