Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What if Jarvis Jones does drop??

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think it more likely that a guy like Anzah or Jordan will drop, assuming Jones' medical checks out and Moore has a decent pro day...
    If Jarvis Jones falls into our laps at #17, I'd take him in a second and be ecstatic about it.

If Damontre Moore falls into our laps at #17, I'd take him in a second and be ecstatic about it.

If Ziggy Ansah falls into our laps at #17, I'd take him in a second and be ecstatic about it.

If Dion Jordan falls into our laps at #17, I'd take him in a second and be ecstatic about it.

If we were picking in the top 5, then we'd have a reason to debate which of these guys we'd prefer. But at #17, we'll just be lucky if one of them falls to us. The teams picking ahead of us will ultimately decide which guy that will be.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If Jarvis Jones falls into our laps at #17, I'd take him in a second and be ecstatic about it.

If Damontre Moore falls into our laps at #17, I'd take him in a second and be ecstatic about it.

If Ziggy Ansah falls into our laps at #17, I'd take him in a second and be ecstatic about it.

If Dion Jordan falls into our laps at #17, I'd take him in a second and be ecstatic about it.

If we were picking in the top 5, then we'd have a reason to debate which of these guys we'd prefer. But at #17, we'll just be lucky if one of them falls to us. The teams picking ahead of us will ultimately decide which guy that will be.
    I think Moore and Jordan are going to have problems holding the edge at the next level. Which would primarily make them one denominational. Not so sure I'd be ecstatic about that for my beloved Steelers.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I think Moore and Jordan are going to have problems holding the edge at the next level. Which would primarily make them one denominational. Not so sure I'd be ecstatic about that for my beloved Steelers.
    Absolutely disagree. Of the three you mentioned, Jones is the one who struggled to get off blocks and gets engulfed. That is the one weakness he has shown. I think Jones is the better athlete of the three. Jones won't be able to use his edge on athleticism he possessed at the college level. The ONLY concern I have for Jones besides his medical (which has been cleared) is his frame doesn't have much room for growth and growth may impact his twitch.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 03-02-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

17. Pittsburgh Steelers - Jarvis Jones OLB, Georgia

Team needs: S/ROLB/WR/LG/CB/NT/TE

Pittsburgh typically takes the best player available at any position of need rather that need be immediate or in the near future. They could take a receiver like Tavon Austin or Keenan Allen to replace Mike Wallace although because of their recent success at drafting wide receivers in the middle rounds it's unlikely they would use a first round pick at the position.

Even though they've recently resigned David Johnson and Matt Spaeth it shouldn't preclude them from taking Tyler Eifert since neither of them are long-term options to potentially replace Heath Miller should he not be able to come back from a serious knee injury.

Pittsburgh's offense was ranked 20th last season so they definitely need someone who can get into the end zone. If either Chance Warmack or Jonathan Cooper are available they could fill the void at LG regardless of the fact that the Steelers resigned Ramon Foster.

Cooper would especially fit in well with their new zone blocking scheme. It was recently reported that the Steelers were interested in signing free agent LT Jake Long, so if Lane Johnson were to fall he would obviously get some consideration.

Defensively they will look at CB, S, and LB. Kenny Vaccaro would certainly be an option but this draft is particularly deep at that position and they should be able to find a safety in rounds 2-4. They lost Keenan Lewis to the Saints but still have the soon-to-be 33 year old Ike Taylor and promising Cortez Allen but could still look at Desmond Trufant.

The defense also has issues at both inside and outside LB. James Harrison is gone with the largely unproven Jason Worilds left to fill his shoes. At ILB Larry Foote was resigned but he's clearly a liability in coverage. The only ILB worthy of this pick is Alec Ogletree but given his troubles with the law it's unlikely the Steelers would even consider him. This draft is very top heavy with Pass-rushers and given the Steelers placing a priority on rushing the QB this pick will likely be the highest rated one available. Tony Pauline of SI has reported that the Steelers are "Drooling" over the potential of Ezekiel Ansah. If he were to somehow make it out of the top 10 don't be surprised to see the Steelers trade up to get him.

Otherwise it should come down to Jarvis Jones or Barkevious Mingo. While Mingo might have the higher ceiling due to his freakish athletic ability it is Jones who has two years of experience playing OLB in a 3-4 defense as one of the fiercest pass-rushers in the SEC. If not for concerns over his spinal stenosis, which may or may not affect his playing career, he would likely be a top 5 pick.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/21/4125096/nfl-mock-draft-2013-free-agency[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bump....
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Rookie

User Info Menu

I didnt like the pick- didnt hate it but dont like it. Maybe he gets stronger and turns into a Suggs type player but I didnt like him for our pick. When Tomlin took him I now give it a double stink eye- Tomlins draft record hasnt been to good

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noitall0605 View Post
    I didnt like the pick- didnt hate it but dont like it. Maybe he gets stronger and turns into a Suggs type player but I didnt like him for our pick. When Tomlin took him I now give it a double stink eye- Tomlins draft record hasnt been to good

JJ will be a monster.
    Last edited by eniparadoxgma; 09-25-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    <a href=http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6892&dateline=1331316420 target=_blank>http://www.planetsteelers.com/forums...ine=1331316420</a>

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noitall0605 View Post
    I felt the same way about the pick. Hope he turns into more than a Suggs now that he is on the team, I want him to be the next Lawrence Taylor

There you go again with "Tomlin's draft record" when in reality Colbert has much more say in the personnel area.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I felt the same way about the pick. Hope he turns into more than a Suggs now that he is on the team, I want him to be the next Lawrence Taylor

There you go again with "Tomlin's draft record" when in reality Colbert has much more say in the personnel area.
    Well, the draft record has to be a combination of Tomlin and Colbert. The draft might be run by Colbert, but Tomlin has to have an impact on the draft as well. If he doesn't then he should move on with life's work as Chuck Noll would say. As the coach, why bother if you don't have any input on personnel or scheme? That's like being the CEO of a business and not being able to hire your own management team. Who wants that job?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Rookie

User Info Menu

Bad analogy.

Tomlin is middle management. High profile, but middle management nonetheless...