Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What if Jarvis Jones does drop??

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers will pull one of these, running to the podium if Jones is there:

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I know it is crazy but every year we see something crazy happen in the draft. Right now ESPN Scouts Inc. has dropped him to 20th overall in their rankings. That is insane. He is the best immediate return defensive player in this draft. You can not deny his production in the best conference in all of college football. Played in a 3-4 defense. I can't see him getting past Cleveland at 6 (they are moving to a 3-4), but who knows?

85 tackles, 52 solo, 24.5 tackles for loss, 14.5 sacks, and 7 FF's.

This is a play maker. And if you have watched him play you know teams tried to stay away from him or double him on passing downs. Teams will have to account for him on every play. Could you imagine what an opposing team will have to do if Troy is healthy and Jarvis Jones is on the field with him?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

..That was funny Captain!!
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I'd be shocked if Jarvis is available. He looks ready to step in and start from day 1. I could easily see him turning into a Harrison / Lloyd off the edge. That kid would get us some turnovers. I like his approach and the way he constantly attacks the ball. Outside of Harrison, no other Steeler attacks the ball like that.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think it more likely that a guy like Anzah or Jordan will drop, assuming Jones' medical checks out and Moore has a decent pro day...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I'd be shocked if Jarvis is available. He looks ready to step in and start from day 1. I could easily see him turning into a Harrison / Lloyd off the edge. That kid would get us some turnovers. I like his approach and the way he constantly attacks the ball. Outside of Harrison, no other Steeler attacks the ball like that.
    There is a good chance Jones & Moore could both be there. Jones put all his eggs in one basket for his proday. Brandt has a write up on his mock where he has him going #26. Prompted a call from Jone's agent to Brandt. Teams don't like healthy scratches at combine workouts if you aren't a QB. I have heard many including Kirwan say that if a healthy scratch happens at a combine the player is concerned about something. With good reasoning as witnessed with Moore's workout. He jumped first (Very well) and felt his hamstring tighten. Ran his first 40 and wasn't right. Pulled up lame on his second. No excuse for his bench unless he had some undisclosed injury. If he could get around 20 in reps and in the 4.7's his stock will be solidified.

On the inverse side, Jones didn't do anything at the combine. His arms measure 33" which is pretty good. One thing he is criticized on is his ability to shed blocks or disengage from OL when they get their hands on them. 33" Arm length suggest it isn't because of short arms. If Jones struggles on the bench & 40 time he has no where else to go. His frame doesn't appear to have much room for growth and his speed and explosiveness was above the comeptition he lined up against in college but won't be the same in the NFL. Hand times at his proday you would hope to see 4.5's & 1.5's 10 splits and very good cones times to attibute his tape to his speed. If he has an average proday...You may see his stock slip to and he could fall to #17.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think it more likely that a guy like Anzah or Jordan will drop, assuming Jones' medical checks out and Moore has a decent pro day...
    Jones's medical appears to be good. The letters went out from the combine doctors after the combine.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What if Jones is there say at 12 or 13...do you move up and get him? Or how about trading the 1st and 2nd pick this year to move up as high as 9th? Again, there is a very good chance that not only does he start from day one but he also produces at a very high level year one. What are your thoughts on that?
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I wouldn't trade up for anyone in this draft. This draft is weak at the top and outside of the Top 10 there isn't much seperation. From a "team" standpoint....If you needed a Cb back I would trade up for Milliner, If you needed a LT I would trade up if I had to, and if you need a DT, you better go get Floyd.

Backup

User Info Menu

There's a reason why the teams who draft at the top of the draft keep on drafting at the top every year... the underwear olympics in Indy has little to do with how you play football in the fall. Show me a guy with good game film and I'll show you a football player. You can have the athletic freak show... training for it has in and of itself become a cottage industry. I'd be almost as happy if Jones or Moore fell to us this year as I was when DeCastro got to us last year. If a lousy showing in Indy gets us a better player than our pick would otherwise afford, I'm all for it.

Legend

User Info Menu

This will become a very interesting draft year in a few years. There are several players that are classic boom-or-bust types. Sure, there are always boom or busts in every draft, but this year these players are 1st rounders!!!! Not envying the GMs job this season.