Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What if Jarvis Jones does drop??

Legend

User Info Menu

Spot on? How many linebacker from his class are tearing up the league right now? Why not? When you answer that you have your answer for JJ.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    .... bump...

not the instant starter some said. The negatives on JJ have turned out to be spot on so far.

Can only hope JJ continues the modest improvements to his game to become a good OLB.
    On the mark. He is not the dominant pass rusher this defense needs at the right OLB position. LeBeau's defense doesn't work without that. The guy has a great motor and never quits but he still can't beat good Left Tackles with his moves and strength and he still hasn't gotten fast enough to get to the QB around the end. Unfortunately for us he plays the position this defense requires getting to the QB.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    On the mark. He is not the dominant pass rusher this defense needs at the right OLB position. LeBeau's defense doesn't work without that. The guy has a great motor and never quits but he still can't beat good Left Tackles with his moves and strength and he still hasn't gotten fast enough to get to the QB around the end. Unfortunately for us he plays the position this defense requires getting to the QB.
    He's still can develop though. Lloyd wasn't a dominant pass rusher... just a terrific football player. Peezy wasn't either... he used to always get handled by the best. There is no shame in that. What Jones needs is to work to find his niche and play to his strengths. IMO, he has good instincts and can tackle well. He's pretty quick in a short-area.

As you say, I think his die is cast in terms of his ceiling. I don't think we have "Von Miller" or Dwight Freeney on our hands. But I think he still has a chance to be a lesser Greg Lloyd or Peezy, a Jason Gildon-level player.
    I wasn't hired for my disposition.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    He's still can develop though. Lloyd wasn't a dominant pass rusher... just a terrific football player. Peezy wasn't either... he used to always get handled by the best. There is no shame in that. What Jones needs is to work to find his niche and play to his strengths. IMO, he has good instincts and can tackle well. He's pretty quick in a short-area.

As you say, I think his die is cast in terms of his ceiling. I don't think we have "Von Miller" or Dwight Freeney on our hands. But I think he still has a chance to be a lesser Greg Lloyd or Peezy, a Jason Gildon-level player.
    I think his ceiling may be higher than Gildon...
    Actually, my post was NOT about you...but, if the shoe fits, feel free to lace that &!+€# up and wear it.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Spot on? How many linebacker from his class are tearing up the league right now? Why not? When you answer that you have your answer for JJ.
    Kiko Alonso had a heck of a season last year if you're including ILBs, but torn his ACL this offseason.
    I think JJ is doing good this season, though. He's made great progress from last season, IMO.
    Last edited by brazilsteel; 09-21-2014 at 01:07 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

mingo has looked much worse in cleveland

he gets ripped frequently on sports talk radio

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brazilsteel View Post
    Kiko Alonso had a heck of a season last year if you're including ILBs, but torn his ACL this offseason.
    I think JJ is doing good this season, though. He's made great progress from last season, IMO.
    Historically, first round linebackers don't tear up the league their rookie season. There are always exceptions but the vast majority either don't start, do poorly or may be average at best. Check out Shazier. Does anyone doubt this guy has some serious skills? But, he didn't come out and light it up. Mosley is looking like the more NFL ready ILB. Doesn't mean Shazier won't be the better linebacker when it's all said and done. I am looking for improvement and that is what I see in JJ.
    Trolls are people too.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Historically, first round linebackers don't tear up the league their rookie season. There are always exceptions but the vast majority either don't start, do poorly or may be average at best. Check out Shazier. Does anyone doubt this guy has some serious skills? But, he didn't come out and light it up. Mosley is looking like the more NFL ready ILB. Doesn't mean Shazier won't be the better linebacker when it's all said and done. I am looking for improvement and that is what I see in JJ.
    Alec Ogletree had an outstanding season last year, started 16 games with 95 tackles.

I'm not down on JJ, just wanted to point out the many unrealistic claims that he would be an instant starter on the team because he wouldn't need to be "converted". You've basically made the same statement.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I think his ceiling may be higher than Gildon...
    If he is 3/4 as good as Gildon I would be ecstatic.
    Not that I'm praising Gildon but I am worried about whether JJ is even close.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Alec Ogletree had an outstanding season last year, started 16 games with 95 tackles.

I'm not down on JJ, just wanted to point out the many unrealistic claims that he would be an instant starter on the team because he wouldn't need to be "converted". You've basically made the same statement.
    Well he kinda WAS that. Just not a very good rookie starter.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher