Thread: Great quote by Paraag Marathe (COO 49'ers)

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Great quote by Paraag Marathe (COO 49'ers)

We have the most expensive defense in the league on an average per year basis and that is not sustainable over time," Marathe said. "Becuase of the cap, if every veteran on the team took a 15 percent discount on their market value, you couldn't field that team still under the cap because the difference between wholesale (draft) and retail (free agency) is so wide.

"You have to figure out which players to keep and which players to let move on and churn out. Because you have to continue to replenish the system.
    [URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/92769/nfl-econ-49ers-sustainability-rams-plan[/URL]

Sums it up pretty well. You have to let some go and draft well.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Which we have not drafted smart. We signed KVO fairly cheap as a FA, and dropped lower round picks on Smith and Keisel. Then under Tomlin, we drop two first round picks on DE and neither has shown any more than you could get out of cheaper free agents or later round picks.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Which we have not drafted smart. We signed KVO fairly cheap as a FA, and dropped lower round picks on Smith and Keisel. Then under Tomlin, we drop two first round picks on DE and neither has shown any more than you could get out of cheaper free agents or later round picks.
    Tomlin also drafted Woodley, Timmons, Keenan Lewis, and Cortez Allen.

He also hit on William Gay (now back with the team) and found Skip McClendon.

Hood is a disappointment. But, I still think Heyward is way too underused to develop.

Tomlin's defensive drafts have been mixed so far. But, outside of Hood (who is really a 4-3 DT only), I disagree that we "have not drafted smart." It has not been a home run, but come on. It can't always be.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I find it funny that you say that we have not drafted smart and then put together a mock like you have.

Mingo is a risk. He has great potential, but he has not developed as a pass rusher. He only had 4.5 sacks this year and played on a loaded defense. Armstead is a great athlete, but he has proven very little and played against very weak competition. Rambo and Michael are very big character risks. I'm not saying that I hate the mock. I really don't. But, is that drafting smart? That is risky stuff, my friend.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I find it funny that you say that we have not drafted smart and then put together a mock like you have.

Mingo is a risk. He has great potential, but he has not developed as a pass rusher. He only had 4.5 sacks this year and played on a loaded defense. Armstead is a great athlete, but he has proven very little and played against very weak competition. Rambo and Michael are very big character risks. I'm not saying that I hate the mock. I really don't. But, is that drafting smart? That is risky stuff, my friend.
    All drafts are risky. I'm simply talking drafting two 3-4 DE in 3 years in the first round.
    @_Hellgrammite