Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: William Gay cut by the Cards

Legend

User Info Menu

Some of you are getting stuck in like Gay was the worst player we've had in a while. Fact was, despite the fans ragging on him, he was an effective 3rd CB.

If the Steelers need to cut Taylor in order to retain Lewis, then Hell Yes Chadman would sign Willie Gay to play the 3rd CB role. He's not a 'starter', but he's quite useful. And he knows the system.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Legend

User Info Menu

I thought Gay played well his last year here. I'd be fine with him as a 3rd CB. Probably wouldn't cost all that much, either.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    whats this say about where curtis brown is, if true?

not exactly a ringing endorsement from the coaching staff.
    Brown has not exactly inspired confidence with his play to this point, IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Brown has not exactly inspired confidence with his play to this point, IMO.
    Nope, not at all

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Does anyone remember how porous our secondary was when Ike was hurt?
    Yeah, I like Ike too. I'd love to be able to keep Ike in a perfect world, but the fact remains that Ike will turn 33 this offseason and is coming off a leg fracture that caused him to miss the last month of the season, while Keenan Lewis will turn 27 this offseason and is healthy. Finances may dictate that we cannot keep both of them (since Ike's base salary for this year is $6 million and his base salary for next season is $7 million...and those numbers don't include the pro-rated portion of his signing bonus either). Given the choice, would you prefer another two years of a declining Taylor, or another half-dozen years of Lewis entering his prime?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Have the Steelers re-signed CB William Gay?

MARCH 3, 2013BY: MATTHEW MARCZISubscribe

Though there has not been any official word yet, it appears that the Pittsburgh Steelers have re-signed cornerback William Gay, originally drafted by the Steelers in the fifth round of the 2007 draft. Gay signed a two year contract with the Arizona Cardinals last season, but was released just a few days ago as a salary cap casualty of the Cardinals.

Thanks to some snooping courtesy of Steelers Depot, Gay’s Twitter account provides some clues that ultimately lead back to Pittsburgh. Gay Tweeted earlier today that he is glad that he did not sell his condo in Pittsburgh. In addition, he changed his location to “Somewhere in da Burgh”. His former, and perhaps current, teammate, cornerback Ike Taylor also responded to the Tweet.

It is known that Gay remained in close contact with many of his former teammates, having played with many of them—such as Taylor—for five seasons before spending 2012 in Arizona. Gay continued to train in Florida with Tom Shaw along with Taylor and other teammate during the offseason to stay in shape.

Arizona’s trash may prove to be Pittsburgh’s treasure, particularly if they fail to re-sign unrestricted free agent Keenan Lewis. Lewis is expected to command a fairly lucrative contract after leading the league in passes defensed in 2012, despite not recording an interception.

In 2011, Gay was the starter at cornerback alongside Taylor, but moved to the slot corner position when the team went to their nickel package, with Lewis playing on the outside opposite Taylor.

Lewis assumed the starting role in 2012, while Cortez Allen did a commendable job locking up the nickel role. It would seem unlikely that Gay would be given a role above Lewis or Allen, but would likely allow the team to play more dime packages with six defensive backs, especially since Gay is a strong tackler in run support as well.

Should the Steelers be unable to re-sign Lewis, however, Gay would probably become the nickel corner with Allen starting. All of this, of course, is still waiting on official word from the team.

[URL]http://www.examiner.com/article/have-the-steelers-re-signed-cb-william-gay?cid=rss[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Here's Gay's response to Marcus Gilbert on Twitter.

“@MarcusGilbert88: @williamgay22 you coming back in town homie?” Yessir

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I thought Gay played well his last year here. I'd be fine with him as a 3rd CB. Probably wouldn't cost all that much, either.
    I agree. We have had worse CB's. Trade Ike for a 3rd or 4th.

BTW, Gay told Mundy he is a Steeler again.....apparently the Steelers don't have any issue with Gay in the locker room.

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/william-gay-appears-to-be-returning-to-steelers-677772/[/URL]

Gay has changed his Twitter account information to label himself a "cornerback of the Pittsburgh Steelers." Asked on Twitter by former teammate Ryan Mundy if he is coming back, Gay answered "Yea." He also wrote on Twitter that "I'm glad I didn't sell my condo in Pittsburgh

Read more: [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/william-gay-appears-to-be-returning-to-steelers-677772/#ixzz2MXRIaNxd[/url]
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 03-03-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    Does anyone remember how porous our secondary was when Ike was hurt?
    I'm with you SKL. I see so many who do not appreciate what Ike does for this team each and every week. I like what Lewis did for us last season, but I would worry about him facing off against the league's top receivers.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I'm with you SKL. I see so many who do not appreciate what Ike does for this team each and every week. I like what Lewis did for us last season, but I would worry about him facing off against the league's top receivers.
    It's not that I don't appreciate what Ike has done. Dude's been a rock back there for us. But just think about how much further he can possibly do what he is doing. A year? Maybe two? That's about it, realistically. He's not a Rod Woodson type that you can just move to safety in his later years. If we let Lewis walk, then we have to draft a corner with one of our first 3 picks, so that we have someone who will be ready to start alongside Cortez when Ike's body inevitably will betray him over the next year or two. I had high hopes for Curtis Brown when we drafted him, but haven't seen much from him since to give me any confidence that he could be a starter in waiting.

I don't want to get rid of Ike any more than I'd want to get rid of Harrison or Keisel, but I'd much rather keep a talented guy entering his prime than trying to hold on to aging vets a year or two past their expiration dates. That's just the way things go when you are up against the cap. The restructures to get us below the cap ceiling by the start of the league year was the easy part. The veteran cuts that are necessary for us to be able to sign our draft picks, restricted free agents, and hopefully keep a UFA like Keenan Lewis rather than letting him walk away for nothing...that's the hard part. Perhaps we could trade guys like Ike or Harrison and recoup some draft picks instead of releasing them outright (the amount of dead money left on our cap would be the same either way...if a team with cap room that isn't in our division was willing to give us reasonable draft pick compensation, then you'd really have to consider parting with a Steeler great or two (which isn't easy one year after saying goodbye to the likes of Ward, Farrior, Smith, and Hoke).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.