Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which Aging Steeler Gets Cut?

Legend

User Info Menu

Cut Troy and Harrison?

The D isnt thr problem and we werent 2-14.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Yeah Troy probably does have 4 more years of missing 1/4 of each season and playing at 80% or less another 1/4 of each season. I think if he is unable to go he isn't worth his big contract, thus the reason folks would feel comfortable cutting him. If he takes half pay to stay then of course that would work as well.
    That's no lie. The fact is that Polamalu has been constantly hurt (the world's worst calf injury apparently) the past few seasons. And then when he does come back, it's always a week or two to get back into the flow. Are we supposed to think that he is going to get more durable as he ages? I mean, I'm too sentimental a guy to dump him right now, but the honest truth is that this would be a great time to do so.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I believe Harrison made a mistake by getting surgery so close to the start of the regular season. Having it sooner and he would of recovered earlier. Aside from that I still think it's 50/50 with James and no way do they cut Troy.
    Has anyone figured what the Steelers would save by cutting Hampton, releasing Starks, Foster, and Colon?
    I would love to keep James but the business might not allow it especially if we want to sign Keenan Lewis, we just have to hope we hit it right in the draft @ OLB if James does get cut.

The problem I see with Harrison is he is unwilling to take a pay cut, that leaves the Steelers with very limited options, in order to be under the cap enough to sign others and their draft picks. Teams like Cincy and the Colts have so much cap room it makes us look like Po Folks, so we got some challenges ahead.
    Starks, Foster, and Hampton are already free agents.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Cmon people, get with the program

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    No explosion with Troy and Harrison evidently was getting trucked late in the season and yet the Steeler defense was beginning to dominate games unlike any other time during the season. I've read the technical aspects of JH getting turned out in holes, no push, a step late, etc, etc, but somehow with him and Troy on the field and healthy the defense was giving up very few points and had it not been for an offense that couldn't get out of its own way the Steelers would have won an extra game or two and been in the playoffs.

If you want cut JH and TP because of financial reasons, that's fine, but saying they weren't playing up to snuff, getting pushed around just wasn't what I was seeing visually. Now, I don't watch games like people that have played football past 9th grade, because I didn't play past 9th grade. I watch and simply see what's happening and what I saw at the end of the year was a defense coming on strong and starting to be a force. TP and JH went into this off season healthy and without issue.

My guess is the Steelers are trying not to purge all at once, but maybe 2 or 3 more vets this year and then a few more next year, work young players and rookies into the mix and stay competitive while doing so. I just don't get the "cut the vets and suck for two years" thinking. If its possible to keep them, they're better than anything on the bench or in the draft.

Pappy
    Agreed. The Steelers don't just clean house like that... rarely have in my experience. Generally a guy dosn't hit the field in Pittsburgh until he's ready to play at a solid NFL level because there's always a solid NFL player in front of him. You don't get there by taking all the talent and leadership away at once. The culture goes away... Timmons beat out Foote. Pouncey beat out Hartwig. Adams couldn't beat out Max, but we're left with a quality starter. Worilds can't beat out James... point is, you don't just give a guy a job. If McLendon outperformed Casey last year, great. If not, get him back and cut somebody else. Same with Keisel/ Sonof Ironhead.

Even last years' cuts - No Farrior? Foote's back, and not 37. No Smitty? Hood's done his job most of the last 2 years anyway. No Hines? Hines had slowed down so much by the end I cringed every time they threw him the ball. I thought it a racr to see whether he got his 1200th catch or decapitated first. They thought Cotchery would step in and do the things he did. Guys don't go away unless pushed out by better guys.

Legend

User Info Menu

A couple of things to keep in mind...

If the Salary Cap does not jump significantly in 2014 (as is now the current belief), then the Steelers will likely find themselves in the same Cap situation next year as they are this year. Without taking into account who will or won't be cut this offseason, the only significant players (Capwise) that are UFA's (and therefore reduce the salary outlay of the Steelers) are:

Ryan Clark (2013 Cap hit of $4.75m)
    Brett Keisel (2013 Cap hit of $4.5m)
    Ziggy Hood (2013 Cap hit of $1.9m)
    Jerricho Cotchery (2013 Cap hit of $1.5m)

That's roughly $13-$14m shaved off the Steelers Salary Cap in 2014 (so long as the Steelers do not attempt to resign any of these players).

While that might sound like some Cap relief, keep in mind that the Cap numbers of Ben Roethlisberger, LaMarr Woodley, Lawrence Timmons & Antonio Brown will jump SIGNIFICANTLY in 2014 as a result of the Contract Restructures. As an example- after the contract restructure of Antonio Brown, he will now count for $3.12m in 2013. In 2014, however, his 'base salary' alone in $6m, not including the jump in his pro-rated signing bonus (which just jumped due to the restructure), meaning Brown will go from costing just over $3m in 2013, to roughly $9m in 2014. Timmons is similar, costing just over $5m after his restructure in 2013 to upwards of $10m in 2014. The money 'saved' by losing the FA's above, will get soaked up by the contracts of these restructures.

What Chadman is saying is, the Steelers need to consider deeply if they choose to restructure any other players. One guy that might be a 'smart' restructure is Willie Colon. Cutting him saves roughly $1m against the Cap (and that is obliterated by the need to then sign a replacement), but if the Steelers were to restructure his $5.5m base salary, and spread it over the remaining 3 years of his contract, the impact is not overly significant (his current Signing Bonus pro-rated yearly payment is $1.2m, by converting say $4 million of this year's contract into signing bonus, the bonus cost will only increase by around $1.3m per year to a total of $2.5m + base salary).

Any cuts the Steelers make this offseason need to be thought out well. The Steelers might need to cut players in 2013 not to sign FA's this season, but in order to free up money in 2014 to afford the contracts they are restructuring now. Harrison, Polamalu, Taylor all cost upwards of $10m next season, and Heath Miller is on about $9m next year. A couple of these guys might HAVE to go in 2013, so that the money saved from cutting their contracts allows the Steelers to avoid similar cost-cutting strategies in the years ahead. Cutting Keisel, Clark or Cotchery only helps in 2013, not beyond. At some point, the Steelers need to get this contract thing sorted out, so that in 2015/16, they don't find themselves in a financial Salary Cap black hole.

While it sucks to have to consider it, it might be better for the long-term good of the team to cut Harrison & Taylor (particularly if Lewis is re-signed) this year, in order to save the full $10m value of each players contract value next season, instead of portions of that $10m each in 2014. Then the Steelers could look at cutting Polamalu & Miller next offseason & saving a portion of their contract values against the 2014 salary cap (while still giving the Steelers a chance to get young players ready to step in and start in 2014).

By doing that, the bloodletting/restructuring of the last couple of years might not be so significant in 2014, allowing the Steelers to get some normallacy in their offseason's, going forward.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Starks, Foster, and Hampton are already free agents.
    By not signing them we save money No?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

My guess is the Steelers are trying not to purge all at once, but maybe 2 or 3 more vets this year and then a few more next year, work young players and rookies into the mix and stay competitive while doing so. I just don't get the "cut the vets and suck for two years" thinking. If its possible to keep them, they're better than anything on the bench or in the draft.

Pappy[/QUOTE]

A good guess there Pappy, that's what I'm thinking as well. The only reason Harrison would be released is the money NOT what he does on the field. Worlids can't hold his jock strap, thats why OLB in the draft is a favorite among fans.
    Same with Foote, we have no one to take his place either.

Everyone wants to be cut happy all of a sudden, we cut too much and 8-8 will be a ceiling for this team.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Everyone wants to be cut happy all of a sudden, we cut too much and 8-8 will be a ceiling for this team.
    For real. Thankfully, the team is more level-headed than many of the fans are.

Legend

User Info Menu

By not signing them we save money No?
    NO.............