Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: I think Lewis have agreed to terms

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Thats why I would trade Ike to a team needing a corner that would allow him to play a lot of man coverage. Trade him for a 4th round pick = no cap hit at all.
    I really wish the Steelers would be more open to trading players. It's a business.... Not performing trades like these handcuffs the organization on multiple levels. For one, it could hinder the team in signing Lewis. You let Ike go if it means losing Lewis. The Steelers can't lose a player like Lewis who is entering hims prime in favor of a guy that is on the downside of his career. Secondly, a trade would allow you to pick up a draft pick in a very deep draft class and build your team for the future. There are a lot of good mid round talent in this draft and another 4th round pick (or even a 5 rounder) would be huge.

I realize the Rooney's like to give players the option on where they end up. That's cool and all but at what cost? In scenario's like this, I would trade Ike for a 4th rounder in this years draft and not think twice about it.

Use that freed money to sign Lewis. Lewis and Allen will start. Ideally, that should be our future starting CBs.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I think most fans would be open to trading Ike for a fourth pick if a team was willing to make a deal. The Steelers will need to deal with Ike anyway in the next few years so it could be a good proposition to do it now as long as Lewis is signed.
    It would be great if we could keep all our CB's but the numbers might not allow it.
    Good corners are an important position in this pass happy league, teams who need immediate help instead of developing a draft pick might be interested in a scenario with Ike in a trade.

How much would the Steelers save if they traded Ike, and how would it impact our cap?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    How much would the Steelers save if they traded Ike, and how would it impact our cap?
    Cap implications are the same whether the player is traded, released, or retires.

In Ike's case, we either cut him prior to June 1 and save about $2.5M this year, and he is completely off of your books next year. Or, you cut him after June 1, and you save his $6M salary this season, but he counts about $3.5M next season without being around.

However, when was the last time that the Steelers signed a guy to a second contract, restructured him in the middle, and then let him go before his final season? They do not do that, and if they did I would prefer they did it with Colon before they did it with Ike.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I think most fans would be open to trading Ike for a fourth pick if a team was willing to make a deal. The Steelers will need to deal with Ike anyway in the next few years so it could be a good proposition to do it now as long as Lewis is signed.
    It would be great if we could keep all our CB's but the numbers might not allow it.
    Good corners are an important position in this pass happy league, teams who need immediate help instead of developing a draft pick might be interested in a scenario with Ike in a trade.

Trading Ike would still cost 6.9 mil against the Steelers cap in 2013. It would only net 2.5 mil. That being said, Taylor will not be traded...Even if they retain Lewis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Cap implications are the same whether the player is traded, released, or retires.

In Ike's case, we either cut him prior to June 1 and save about $2.5M this year, and he is completely off of your books next year. Or, you cut him after June 1, and you save his $6M salary this season, but he counts about $3.5M next season without being around.

However, when was the last time that the Steelers signed a guy to a second contract, restructured him in the middle, and then let him go before his final season? They do not do that, and if they did I would prefer they did it with Colon before they did it with Ike.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

That's my point. Even if you trade him and you eat the 6.x million, you still get something in return and save the 2.x million.. Why would you cut him, eat the same amount of money and get NOTHING in return. That's just doesn't make any business sense.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    That's my point. Even if you trade him and you eat the 6.x million, you still get something in return and save the 2.x million.. Why would you cut him, eat the same amount of money and get NOTHING in return. That's just doesn't make any business sense.
    It doesn't make any business sense?

Why does it make business sense to eat 6.x million and have that noose hang around your neck in the form of cap constraints for a 4th round pick in the draft?
    Last edited by BigRob; 03-04-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post

Why does it make business sense to eat 6.x million and have that noose hang around your neck in the form of cap constraints for a 4th round pick in the draft?
    You spend 8+ million if you keep him. You can trade him, gain 2.x million to help sign his replacement and get a potential future starter in this years draft. That's not a bad option.

Hypothetically speaking:

Option 1:
    Trade Ike. Eat 6+ million. Gain close to 3 million. Use the extra dough to sign Lewis and get a 4th rounder in the process.
    With the extra pick, draft Lattimore.... or take your pick (Rambo?).

Option 2:
    Keep Ike for 8+ million this year only. Potentially lose Lewis and don't get an extra 4th rounder this year.

Personally, I'd take option 2. This draft is deep with talent and we need to get younger. I'd take that trade. I'd also cut Colon as well. Regardless of "dead money", he does us no good on IR. We could use the extra roster spot. Use the extra money to sign Foster, Legursky, Starks... or Lewis. Every little bit helps.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post

Wouldn't the noose be a bit tighter if we kept him for close to 9 million?

Legend

User Info Menu

Reckon they'll be keeping Taylor.... not so certain about Lewis, however...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE