Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tavon 'Awesome' Austin...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Tavon 'Awesome' Austin...

I know the Steelers are pursuing Breaston, a WR, but how about this for an option?

We use our 2013 1st round pick on this guy- Tavon Austin. WR/ RB from WV...

We all are wanting the Steelers to use this 17th pick on a playmaker. Well, after watching some film on this guy and seeing him run in the combine, this guy could be the next Desean Jackson- or even Wes Welker.... this guy would play immediately. Just watching a highlight film- In his jr year, he had 11 rec. for 187 yards against LSU.

Thoughts?

He has crept up into the discussions for the 1st round.... Maybe even a slight trade down first, (St. Louis or thereabouts) to gain an extra 3rd or 4th round pick would be even in order....then draft him......Then again, just take him at 17and get it over with...

Could you imagine BB throwing quick passes to this guy? I can- wow.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=0AAWC5t0trY&NR=1[/url]
    Last edited by pfelix73; 03-01-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kid hits top speed in one step. Were there any character issues or anything from his days at WVU or is he a good character guy? One WR with similar attributes is Ryan Swope who would be available in the 2nd or 3rd.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

From what I know, he works out with Ike Taylor and Ike raves about this kid saying he is special. Don't know if we would pick him in the first, depends on who else is available. Lets say both him and Hopkins were there, I would take my chance on Hopkins before Austin although he looks to be a dynamic prospect.

Legend

User Info Menu

I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round. Too much risk given his size. He's just too small and is a risk to get hurt. If he's there in the 3rd round, I'd consider him then.

That said, I'd love to have him. But he'd have to be twice as quick as anyone who's ever played the game to be worth the risk of taking in the first round.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree. Dynamic talent but just too slight.

Legend

User Info Menu

Amazing talent... but size is an issue. This kid absolutely shredded Clemson 2 years ago. Pat White had speed and talent too and Ike lit him up. Definitely wouldnt take him in the 1st but I cant lie... I wouldnt be surprised if he lights up the league.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I looked up his size, etc. on the web. He is only like an inch shorter than Jamaal Charles (ok 2") and 15 lbs lighter. (ok-24) Hell, he could gain 10 lbs on a decent fitness/ nutrition plan in no time... Size doesn't bother me. Besides what about Desean Jackson? As far as taking him in the 3rd, well hell yea... but he won't be there. Looking more and more like he's going in round 1. I say he's the best WR in the draft....

Jamaal is 5'11" 199
    Tavon is 5' 9" 176
    Desean is 5'10" 175

Chris Rainey 5'9" 180
    Last edited by pfelix73; 03-01-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

hmmm... less sure than you guys. I saw straightline speed, but I didn't see ability to make cuts or the quick feet. maybe a 3rd or 4th rder.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    hmmm... less sure than you guys. I saw straightline speed, but I didn't see ability to make cuts or the quick feet. maybe a 3rd or 4th rder.
    Austin's strength IS his ability to make cuts and be quick on his feet. His straight line speed is great, but watch the film on him, he's practically untouchable.

The kid was never in trouble at WVU. He was always healthy, I don't recall him ever missing a game due to injury. His incredible vision and agility made him tough to lay a hit on. Watch some of his cut backs and jump cuts at full speed in the highlight film.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kid is pretty amazing. Add 20lbs to him and put him at RB.
    @_Hellgrammite