Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great insight on Manti T'eo from Ex-GM Bill Polian

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great insight on Manti T'eo from Ex-GM Bill Polian

Let me put this to rest. Despite all of the commentary coming from those outside the league following [URL="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player/_/id/29240/manti-teo"]Manti Te'o[/URL]'s combine performance, among those inside the game that I've spoken to, no one has soured on him significantly.
    Teams understand he's been under incredible pressure and has been for the past month after allegedly becoming the victim of a hoax. Step back away from the story and think about how players perform for a second. Coaches and GMs are constantly preaching about eliminating distractions. There's a reason for that. In order to perform well as an athlete you need to be single-minded, focused on the job at hand, right down to the minute details. If that focus is shattered, if you're distracted, you do not perform as well. In an environment like the combine, where inches and tenths of a second are scrutinized, details matter.
    Inside the game, all of us rely on tape, not on the combine as be-all, end-all. Sometimes we get caught up in the event and the excitement and make more of the combine than those evaluating these prospects. To them, the game film shows you what kind of football player he is.
    Absent the 40 time, Te'o's tests actually solidified what most thought about him. He is instinctive, tough, a good tackler and more quick than fast. Everyone is looking forward to his 40 in South Bend on March 26, and that will be the dispositive piece in the puzzle relative to speed.
    The fluctuations in his draft stock I've been hearing about don't make much sense to me. The notion that a player's draft stock can change in a day, or after a single drill, is as much of a hoax as the one Te'o's been caught up in.
    My feeling -- one shared by many of my colleagues in the league -- is that when all is said and done, he's in the lower quarter of the first round, maybe the top of second depending on his final 40 time. If he drops down in that range, however, he'll provide great value.

Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

IMO he may get drafted higher but you will actually be getting the next Rey Malaluga who the Bumgals got at the top of Round 2. T'eo will be Sean Lee and Paul Pozlusny. Good but not special. Therefore shouldn't be a round 1 pick.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    IMO he may get drafted higher but you will actually be getting the next Rey Malaluga who the Bumgals got at the top of Round 2. T'eo will be Sean Lee and Paul Pozlusny. Good but not special. Therefore shouldn't be a round 1 pick.
    I dont agree. I think he has shown the ability to improve. This past season he dropped the weight and was asked to cover more. He came away with 7 picks. That right there makes him better than Mauluga. And I contest, if he gets with a team like the Steelers, and is not asked to do more than zone cover, add the weight back (255), and play coming forward, he will light it up in the opponents back field.

I believe what Polian said about the distraction. It is a major reason for the drop off in the Championship game as well as his 40 time. A professional athlete that is distracted will under-perform.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I dont agree. I think he has shown the ability to improve. This past season he dropped the weight and was asked to cover more. He came away with 7 picks. That right there makes him better than Mauluga. And I contest, if he gets with a team like the Steelers, and is not asked to do more than zone cover, add the weight back (255), and play coming forward, he will light it up in the opponents back field.

I believe what Polian said about the distraction. It is a major reason for the drop off in the Championship game as well as his 40 time. A professional athlete that is distracted will under-perform.
    Could not agree more. For proof, see Woods, Eldrick 'Tiger'. If relationship issues could bring down the greatest golfer in the history of the planet in his prime, they can surely wreck a 22 year old kid's combine.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't even know if he will be a Poz, to be honest. Has no one else noticed that he came in 15 lbs lighter, while not any faster AND was visibly much less muscular? Some observers described him as "soft" and "flabby." All that is a huge red flag for him being on juice or HGH during the season. RED FLAG on dat sh-t. Fo wheel.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I don't even know if he will be a Poz, to be honest. Has no one else noticed that he came in 15 lbs lighter, while not any faster AND was visibly much less muscular? Some observers described him as "soft" and "flabby." All that is a huge red flag for him being on juice or HGH during the season. RED FLAG on dat sh-t. Fo wheel.
    Of course it is for you, you judge books by their cover. Do you really think at the start of next season T'eo will be playing at that weight? And playing soft and flabby?

Just curious what your thoughts were on Chance Warmack's physique? He probably plays soft too, right?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Of course it is for you, you judge books by their cover. Do you really think at the start of next season T'eo will be playing at that weight? And playing soft and flabby?

Just curious what your thoughts were on Chance Warmack's physique? He probably plays soft too, right?
    You are comparing a massive OG to a LB. Way to go. That's real logical and based on clear thinking.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Oh, with athletes, you can accurately base some things by appearance. Not everything but some things. Why did he come in flabby? What would be the reason for it? If juice was used to help him attain his productivity, then it's a concern. As if he can't still use the PEDs, then his performance will drop off a cliff.

When a college players come in 15 lbs lighter, but not any faster, and clearly softer and flabbier, then dats a red flag, yo. If you don't think it is, then I don't know what to tell you.

Legend

User Info Menu

i wouldnt touch him in the first 2 rounds.

this defense isnt predicated on ILB play,

we have much bigger needs
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 03-02-2013 at 11:53 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

A player who puts himself in a position to be distracted is a player I dont want...

You a shouldnt have to work this hard to convince people he is a baller.