Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Margus Hunt, DE SMU

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Margus Hunt, DE SMU

Margus Hunt is from Estonia. He is a 6'8 285 pounds athletic freak and 25 years old. He runs a 4.6-4.7 forty, jumps 36 inches, benches 225 36 times. He was a track and field star as a junior, and he understands leverage. I've seen Margus Hunt play three games (including SMU's bowl game last season against Pitt and SMU's bowl game this year against Fresno State). In those games, Hunt dropped into coverage fluidly and chased down ball carriers with alacrity. But, Hunt is most impressive as a pass rusher. He is a 3-4 DE in SMU's base defense, but he rushes from both the inside and outside well. He has great quickness and an 82 inch wingspan to keep linemen away from his body. He can stay very low and displays very good pass rushing lean to beat OT's from the outside. He can also bullrush OTs once he gets them off balance. Even though Hunt is still raw and learning the game (only played football since 2009), he is NOT a project player. Hunt is junkyard tough and already successful. He was the MVP of the Hawai'i Bowl (multiple sacks and pressures, 2 FF, and a safety). He is also very good on special teams and has blocked seventeen kicks in his career.

Hunt could play DE and even OLB in the Steelers system. He would be capable of rushing from the DT or DE position in our nickel defense. Hunt is a Steeler type and a very hard worker. This sort of size and athleticism is extremely rare. Hunt could become the next J.J. Watt if he continues to develop. Right now Hunt is a fringe first rounder. But, after his workouts, he could rise to the middle of the first.

Hunt may not be a target for the Steelers even if they trade back especially considering our depth at DE, but he is a special player and much more than just a 3-4 DE. However, Keisel is getting old and becoming very injury prone. A rotation of 3 capable DEs is certainly not overkill especially if they excel at different things. Besides, we play nickel defense almost half the time any way. This kid is built for the nickel defense and the new NFL. This team needs pass rushers.
    Last edited by steelblood; 01-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

His measurements sound a lot like Keisel when he came into the league. Didn't they try to get Keisel's weight down to play OLB, then bulked him back up to play DE??? I recall Keisel being like 6'5 - 270 when he came into the league
    Bruce Smith played 3-4 DE at 6'4-270 at the end of his career and did well.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Starter

User Info Menu

I would take him anywhere after the 3rd round. But I think he will blow up the combine so he will be gone before that.
    1. CB – Marcus Peters – Washington – 6/190
    2. OG – Josue Matias – Florida State – 6-6/320
    3. OLB – Geneo Grissom – Oklahoma – 6-4/250
    4. DL – Ellis McCarthy – UCLA – 6-5/330
    5. TE – Jeff Heurman – Ohio State – 6-5/255
    6. FS – Adrian Amos – Penn State – 6/200
    7. DT – Terry Williams – East Carolina – 6-1/340

UDFA
    DB – Justin Cox – Mississippi St. – 6-2/190
    OLB – Davis Tull – Chattanooga – 6-2/242

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    His measurements sound a lot like Keisel when he came into the league. Didn't they try to get Keisel's weight down to play OLB, then bulked him back up to play DE??? I recall Keisel being like 6'5 - 270 when he came into the league
    Bruce Smith played 3-4 DE at 6'4-270 at the end of his career and did well.
    Keisel is a fair comparison as a tall athletic DE who plays with grit. However, Hunt is a few inches taller, quicker, faster, and probably stronger. In short, he is a better athlete than Keisel ever was and his ceiling is higher than Keisel's ever was.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by focosteeler View Post
    I would take him anywhere after the 3rd round. But I think he will blow up the combine so he will be gone before that.
    Think Muhammed Wilkerson. Hunt will be drafted around picks 28-32 or very early in the 2nd round in the upcoming draft. Be way way gone before the 3rd round.

Him and Zeke Ansah are going much earlier than expected.

Rookie

User Info Menu

For some reason I can't log in to my former account Takagi so I made a new one. Anyway..I'm from Estonia too and I'd LOVE to see Margus Hunt wearing black and gold! Unfortunately I doubt that it will happen 'casue his stocks are rising after the bowl game and I don't think that Steelers are going draft a DE on the first-second round. But all in all it's so great to see fellow Estonian knocking on the door of the NFL. You have to remember he's only played the game of (American) football for 4 years! And a former world junior champion in discus throw. Him landing in Pittsburgh would be like a dream come true lol.
    Btw, the word "Hunt" means "Wolf" in Estonian

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    For some reason I can't log in to my former account Takagi so I made a new one. Anyway..I'm from Estonia too and I'd LOVE to see Margus Hunt wearing black and gold! Unfortunately I doubt that it will happen 'casue his stocks are rising after the bowl game and I don't think that Steelers are going draft a DE on the first-second round. But all in all it's so great to see fellow Estonian knocking on the door of the NFL. You have to remember he's only played the game of (American) football for 4 years! And a former world junior champion in discus throw. Him landing in Pittsburgh would be like a dream come true lol.
    Happens every year.... Everyone gets all excited that some MONSTER is going to be around in the 3rd or 4th round.
    Chances are, if he's a MONSTER he won't go unnoticed and fall.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

So an Estonian & an Australian look likely to go in Round 1. Before you know it, this game will go International.

The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Starter

User Info Menu

That would be cool Marko! Either way it has to make you proud to have this guy represent your country.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    So an Estonian & an Australian look likely to go in Round 1. Before you know it, this game will go International.

So seeing that Australia was a penal colony for the British I would guess that the team from there would be called the Felons

Maybe the Bengals would relocate there
    Last edited by fordfixer; 01-05-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.