Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign Breaston

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Just an update to clarify the report from Nfl central, the signing isn't confirmed although it looks to be more likely he will sign. A matter of crossing the T's and dotting the eyes.

From the PG:

Quick hits

Wide receiver Steve Breaston, who played at Woodland Hills High School, visited the Steelers Thursday and took a physical. He became a free agent when Kansas City released him Feb. 19. There was no word on whether negotiations have begun to try to sign him. ... With Roethlisberger, Timmons and Brown's restructured contracts, the Steelers should be close to the $14 million they needed to erase from their salary cap by March 12 to be in compliance with the league. ... The Steelers were the only team to claim quarterback John Wilson, 27, off waivers from the Jacksonville Jaguars and he was awarded to them Thursday.

I read where Breaston said he wants a chance to start, he'll get that opportunity in camp if the report is accurate, probably third receiver on the depth chart.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 03-01-2013 at 06:36 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Are Beavis, Butthead, and I the only ones amused that we used to have a WR whose name sounds like Crotch and now have one that sounds like Breast?

Maybe we should try and sign Chad Johnson next.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Are Beavis, Butthead, and I the only ones amused that we used to have a WR whose name sounds like Crotch and now have one that sounds like Breast?

Maybe we should try and sign Chad Johnson next.
    Should have also mentioned Colon cracks me up too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

wow, another undersized route runner. that makes 3, and nothing else. why sign breaston now? i'd be saving every penny for keenan lewis.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Starter

User Info Menu

A couple hours ago someone sort of debunked this story. They said it was no more than one of those twit crap things. But it is of course possible. If so. Yet another dubious move by this new group of pundits. Replace a Cotchery, who in his role graded at 100% with another player who just might do the same?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    wow, another undersized route runner. that makes 3, and nothing else. why sign breaston now? i'd be saving every penny for keenan lewis.
    No question, the Steelers should make Keenan a priority. As of now Breaston's signing isn't confirmed, I guess they need to see their final cap numbers before any deals being made.

Replacing Mike Wallace with Breaston would be like trading your Dodge Viper for a Fiat.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    No question, the Steelers should make Keenan a priority. As of now Breaston's signing isn't confirmed, I guess they need to see their final cap numbers before any deals being made.

Replacing Mike Wallace with Breaston would be like trading your Dodge Viper for a Fiat.
    I'd think that Breaston would be more like an Accord...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Should have also mentioned Colon cracks me up too.
    Still think we should go grab Brad Smelley, one of the TE's from last year's draft, so that we could line up Colon at RT with Smelley just beside him...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

No one, including the Steelers, thinks Breaston is a pure replacement for Wallace. But they do need to find production and that's something Breaston can bring. He adds depth, is a safe and smart pick-up, and was a returner while in AZ and could be used that way here to free up Brown to focus on being the #1 WR.

As long as the price is right; it's a low risk addition. And the guy WANTS to play for the Steelers OC and should have a good understanding of the playbook right away. He's had a 77 catch - 1006 yard season and some 50 + catch seasons as well. There's some talent there if used properly.

Any true "burner" at the WR position will need to be found in the draft where the cost is low. If it happens, this is a solid, if not spectacular pick up, and helps the team.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Cotchery has been underutilized. He is a good player. I'm not sure if Breaston (at this point), is any upgrade over Cotchery. If we have both, then that's fine but I don't see the purpose of replacing one with the other.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.