Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steelers sign Breaston

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    wow, another undersized route runner. that makes 3, and nothing else. why sign breaston now? i'd be saving every penny for keenan lewis.
    Do you really think that signing Breaston would ever threaten our ability to sign Lewis? Really? This is a minor signing.

The only thing threatening signing Lewis is how much we are paying underperforming Harrison and Woodley.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    Cotchery has been underutilized. He is a good player. I'm not sure if Breaston (at this point), is any upgrade over Cotchery. If we have both, then that's fine but I don't see the purpose of replacing one with the other.
    I don't think he was underutilized. There isn't enough balls to go around. With Wallace, Brown, and Sanders in front of him...How much field time could he see.

Personally, I would go Patterson before I sign Breaston but Patterson may be gone and nobody else grades out that high IMO...that may be the Steelers line of thinking too. Not sure what they would do with Cotchery. Releasing Cotchery frees up 1 mil and creates 500k dead money. A core of Brown, Sanders, Breaston, and Cotchery wouldn't be all that bad. I think the drop from a Top 5 group but still stay in the Top 10. The #5 could really help them too which I would assume would be a draft choice. It is a deep class and there will be good quality in the 3rd - 4th back. Adding Marcus Davis, Josh Boyce, Tavarres King, Kenny Stills, or Mark Harrison to that group would make it interesting

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I don't think he was underutilized. There isn't enough balls to go around. With Wallace, Brown, and Sanders in front of him...How much field time could he see.

Personally, I would go Patterson before I sign Breaston but Patterson may be gone and nobody else grades out that high IMO...that may be the Steelers line of thinking too. Not sure what they would do with Cotchery. Releasing Cotchery frees up 1 mil and creates 500k dead money. A core of Brown, Sanders, Breaston, and Cotchery wouldn't be all that bad. I think the drop from a Top 5 group but still stay in the Top 10. The #5 could really help them too which I would assume would be a draft choice. It is a deep class and there will be good quality in the 3rd - 4th back. Adding Marcus Davis, Josh Boyce, Tavarres King, Kenny Stills, or Mark Harrison to that group would make it interesting
    That's true. Underutilized probably wasn't the best word. Let me clarify what I meant.

If Wallace is gone (likely), I don't see the need to replace Cotchery with Breaston. If we have both then I'm happy because the depth is very solid at WR (Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, Breaston, and a draft pick).

As far as Patterson goes...I don't know much about him. I will say that I think Hopkins is the best WR in this draft from what I've seen. I don't know if he warrants a #17 selection but I don't see many other players as polished as Hopkins that will be BPA at #17 regardless of that the "experts" say. Yes, I think Jarvis Jones, Ansah, etc are obviously rated higher but I think Jones will be gone and I think Ansah is going to be to tempting for a team to pass up on.

Hopkins is a clone to Roddy White. Just about identical height, weight and 40 time metrics. Both have very good hands, decent size and are aggressive attacking the ball.. Would you draft a young Roddy White at #17? I would. Unless someone big falls to #17, I would have no problems drafting the future Roddy White (Hopkins) and save OLB, ILB, S, OL, RB (in any order) for the later rounds.

Oh and btw... NFL.com compares him to Roddy White. I didn't see that before I wrote this post (i swear)... I was simply trying to look up his combine 40 time
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    wow, another undersized route runner. that makes 3, and nothing else. why sign breaston now? i'd be saving every penny for keenan lewis.
    The Steelers did not forget about Lewis. I'm sure that they are not going to lose out because of this.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Not sure why everyone is acting like this is a done deal. Not one credible source is reporting this. He has not signed yet.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Starter

User Info Menu

Who do they compare Markus Wheaton to?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

[url]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/01/report-steelers-wont-sign-steve-breaston-for-now/[/url]

Can we please change this thread title. The Steelers did not sign Steve Breaston.
    Here comes the BOOM!