Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rumors on Pgh's moves

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Rumors on Pgh's moves

[url]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1545521-nfl-rumors-the-loudest-draft-and-free-agency-buzz-for-every-team/page/26[/url]

This means that the bulk of Pittsburgh's offseason additions will come via the draft. ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley has speculated that the Steelers will look towards a feature back in the first couple rounds, potentially targeting players like Eddie Lacy from Alabama, Montee Ball from Wisconsin, Le'veon Bell from Michigan State and Marcus Lattimore from South Carolina.
    No way do I went them to take a risk on Lattimore; way too many injuries. I would be happy with a trade back to take Lacy late 1 or early 2, OR take Bell - who had a very productive 2012 season, has size, power and speed, and blew up the combine. I would be thrilled with either Lacy or Bell, and Bell might be the better value. After his combine, I think teams are finally noticing him. He would be a great Steeler back. If we could land him in the 4th, as he is projected. I'd be thrilled. But after his combine, I got a sneaky feeling he isn't going to last until the 4th. I don't see it. In my observation, McShay is the most accurate prognosticator of all draft guys, including Mel Kiper.

[url]http://detroit.sbnation.com/michigan-state-football/2013/2/27/4037362/nfl-scouting-combine-2013-results[/url]

Bell impressed so much that ESPN draft insider Todd McShay is saying he had one of the top-three running back performances in the combine.

"I thought Bell had probably, I would say in the Top 3 in terms of all around workouts," McShay told Michigan State All-Access. "When you combine the fact that he's 230 pounds, 6-foot-1, ran a 4.60 (in the 40-yard dash) officially - some guys I talked to that were in there timing had him in the low to mid 4.5's and I'm not that worried of the 4.60 - that's good. At 230, you check that off."
    At 230 lbs, his official 40 time was a 4.6, but a lot of observers who timed him themselves said he ran a mid to low 4.5s. That is plenty fast enough for a back who is that big. I have no fear in him being another Ron Dayne, who was just too slow to make it in the NFL.

Even if Pgh got Bell in the 3rd, I'd be very pleased. That would mean two other critical areas were addressed in the 1st and 2nd round, while we still got our bread and butter hammer at RB. That could mean we get Warmack in the 1st (maybe), a LB in the 2nd, Bell, and then a safety in the 4th. That could go a long way to fixing the holes of this team. We could end up with a legit rushing game, solid pass protection and an infusion of youth to the D. If they land this draft right, we could be a contender again in 2 years.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

One other thing, Bell did not have an all-NFL pro bowl O line in front of him when he accomplished the #s he did. Some of you have said Lacy is overrated because he often had 7 yards of open field before any defender even touched him. That may be somewhat true, but not with Bell. MS has a decent OL but nothing on the level of AL. Look at the moves this kid has - he could be our center piece for the next 5-6 years. (I don't see a back his size lasting much more than that; there is only 1 Bettis.)

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d43uZONhrxY[/url]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    [URL]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1545521-nfl-rumors-the-loudest-draft-and-free-agency-buzz-for-every-team/page/26[/URL]

No way do I went them to take a risk on Lattimore; way too many injuries. I would be happy with a trade back to take Lacy late 1 or early 2, OR take Bell - who had a very productive 2012 season, has size, power and speed, and blew up the combine. I would be thrilled with either Lacy or Bell, and Bell might be the better value. After his combine, I think teams are finally noticing him. He would be a great Steeler back. If we could land him in the 4th, as he is projected. I'd be thrilled. But after his combine, I got a sneaky feeling he isn't going to last until the 4th. I don't see it. In my observation, McShay is the most accurate prognosticator of all draft guys, including Mel Kiper.

[URL]http://detroit.sbnation.com/michigan-state-football/2013/2/27/4037362/nfl-scouting-combine-2013-results[/URL]

At 230 lbs, his official 40 time was a 4.6, but a lot of observers who timed him themselves said he ran a mid to low 4.5s. That is plenty fast enough for a back who is that big. I have no fear in him being another Ron Dayne, who was just too slow to make it in the NFL.

Even if Pgh got Bell in the 3rd, I'd be very pleased. That would mean two other critical areas were addressed in the 1st and 2nd round, while we still got our bread and butter hammer at RB. That could mean we get Warmack in the 1st (maybe), a LB in the 2nd, Bell, and then a safety in the 4th. That could go a long way to fixing the holes of this team. We could end up with a legit rushing game, solid pass protection and an infusion of youth to the D. If they land this draft right, we could be a contender again in 2 years.
    I like Bell, I had him in my first mock but I am a little concerned about him. He has great size but seems to want to shy away from contact in the open field. Spinning, jumping, cutting back.

Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I like Bell, I had him in my first mock but I am a little concerned about him. He has great size but seems to want to shy away from contact in the open field. Spinning, jumping, cutting back.

I can understand what you are saying, but to me, it looked like all his moves were in an attempt to gain more yards. I don't think he will end up being the half p-ssy that Mendenhall ended up being. Looking at the highlights, I saw a lot of plays where he took on 4-5 defenders before he went down - I don't recall seeing Mendenhall do that. To me, Bell looks like a Dwyer, but one who is in shape and more driven. Bell was a workhorse. Again, I would love if we got him in the 3rd. He would be a steal in my opinion.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

He sure wasnt shying away from contact in that video.

Legend

User Info Menu

Personally, I take a chance on Lattimore with a mid-round pick. Even if he gives us absolutely nothing this season (and with advances in medicine today, I'm not ruling out that he could contribute some as a rookie), I think he could be a special guy when healthy. Willis McGahee and Frank Gore were able to come back to have solid pro careers following gruesome knee injuries in college, and we all saw what Peterson did this season.

And Todd McShay is awful. Kiper is a joke anymore, and I'm convinced that ESPN hired McShay solely to make the overrated Kiper look better. ESPN can have their goofy spray tan and their Eddie Munster haircut during the draft...I'll be tuned in to NFL Network to watch Mayock instead.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell has the it factor. He runs low, with vision, power, speed and patience.
    Trolls are people too.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Bell looks like a beast. I kinda thought we might want a shorter bowling-ball type of RB ala Ray Rice, but I'd love to see this guy in Black & Gold.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Personally, I take a chance on Lattimore with a mid-round pick. Even if he gives us absolutely nothing this season (and with advances in medicine today, I'm not ruling out that he could contribute some as a rookie), I think he could be a special guy when healthy. Willis McGahee and Frank Gore were able to come back to have solid pro careers following gruesome knee injuries in college, and we all saw what Peterson did this season.

And Todd McShay is awful. Kiper is a joke anymore, and I'm convinced that ESPN hired McShay solely to make the overrated Kiper look better. ESPN can have their goofy spray tan and their Eddie Munster haircut during the draft...I'll be tuned in to NFL Network to watch Mayock instead.
    The problem with your Lattimore plan is we NEED running back help RIGHT NOW. Plus, hasn't he had an extensive injury record, not just this one time? I thought I read that he has had a few major injuries. Sadly, we know that with Redman and Dwyer, we do not have an NFL worthy RB situation. Batch is barely worthy of being on an NFL roster. Redman is a short yardage back, worth maybe 5-10 touches a game. Dwyer has to race to the sidelines any time he has two consecutive carries. And instead of getting in better shape as the season went on, he seemed to just get more fat. We NEED a back who can be the main running back for week 1. We don't have any on the roster yet.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Bell has the it factor. He runs low, with vision, power, speed and patience.
    I agree. The more I look at this guy, the more I like him.