Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My updated Steelers mock Draft!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    What one player at 17 could start from day one? What one player at 17 could play at a high level in his rookie year? And possibly even be a pro-bowler? I think that is Jonathan Cooper. It's not a sexy pick but he is that one guy who would be at or around the 17th pick who could come in and start day one as well as play at an above average level. I am not crazy about drafting another guard but it makes the most sense. And the Steelers have indicated they want a LG guard who is athletic and can get out and pull. Cooper is every bit that. And the Steelers did meet with him at the combine. This isnt what I want, but I think it is what the Steelers may do.

1--Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina

2--Sio Moore OLB UCONN

3--Darius Slay CB Mississippi State

4--Kenny Stills WR OKlahoma

5--Earl Wolff SS North Carolina State

6--Josh Boyd NT Mississippi State

7--Vince Williams ILB Florida State
    Great mock Dee Dub. I like every selection. I'm warming to Earl Wolff big time. I also love Darius Slay.

Good see you moved off Eric Fisher being a possibility as well. But what if Lane Johnson is available at 17? I take him over Cooper because Johnson is going to be a fantastic LT.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Fantastic LTs don't make it out of the Top 10. I think there is a great chance that Joeckel, Fisher, & Johnson are all gone in the Top 10.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Dub, I like Cooper as a player and certainly think he could end up as the BPA. My concern is with eventually extending Cooper, Pouncey and DeCastro -- that could be a lot of money in interior lineman. I wouldn't love the pick, wouldn't hate it, and would certainly understand it.

The biggest question I have with you mock is on skill players -- I think they need to add a RB in the draft, and I would like to see either a WR or RB earlier. Did you have the CB in your draft with an assumption that Lewis leaves?
    You likely won't want to keep them all because of cost but that is a bridge you cross when you get there. Heck all three could have career ending injuries/illness (see Kendall Simmons) before you ever have to worry about that. It is also why you don't ignore the position for 2-3 years. You need to develop depth to give you options.

If Warmack or Cooper are on the board they give you the best option to immediately improve your team and you take them.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

What one player at 17 could start from day one? What one player at 17 could play at a high level in his rookie year? And possibly even be a pro-bowler? I think that is Jonathan Cooper. It's not a sexy pick but he is that one guy who would be at or around the 17th pick who could come in and start day one as well as play at an above average level. I am not crazy about drafting another guard but it makes the most sense. And the Steelers have indicated they want a LG guard who is athletic and can get out and pull. Cooper is every bit that. And the Steelers did meet with him at the combine. This isnt what I want, but I think it is what the Steelers may do.

1--Jonathan Cooper OG North Carolina

2--Sio Moore OLB UCONN

3--Darius Slay CB Mississippi State

4--Kenny Stills WR OKlahoma

5--Earl Wolff SS North Carolina State

6--Josh Boyd NT Mississippi State

7--Vince Williams ILB Florida State
    Really like picks 1, 2 and 4.

I really think there needs to be a TE in there somewhere. Do you really think we are going into next season with our #1 TE being Paulson for the initial part of the season?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Why? If he is BPA on the board, can play from day one, and at a high level, why not?

Explain.

Adding him helps the run game, regardless of who the RB is.
    I don't see him as the BPA at pick 17. He isn't one of the top 17 players coming out of college this year.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I don't see him as the BPA at pick 17. He isn't one of the top 17 players coming out of college this year.
    Opinions seem to differ on that. Mayock has him among his top 4.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Fantastic LTs don't make it out of the Top 10. I think there is a great chance that Joeckel, Fisher, & Johnson are all gone in the Top 10.
    Unfortunately that is true. I don't see Johnson getting past San Diego.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    What do you base that assessment on? Kiper? McShay? Some other arbitrary ranking system? All are B.S. guesses.

If he fills a needs, can contribute from Day 1 and has the potential to be a high level player throughout his career then he is worth a Round 1 pick. It would be better than picking an OLB who we can watch stand on the sideline for two years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    You likely won't want to keep them all because of cost but that is a bridge you cross when you get there. Heck all three could have career ending injuries/illness (see Kendall Simmons) before you ever have to worry about that. It is also why you don't ignore the position for 2-3 years. You need to develop depth to give you options.

If Warmack or Cooper are on the board they give you the best option to immediately improve your team and you take them.
    The problem with not retaining a top pick is that it leaves you with a hole. With Mendenhall not likely to return, the Steelers have a gaping hole at RB this year. They can fill that in the draft or elsewhere, but that takes resources from another position.

The Steelers success has been largely predicated on finding good players (especially in the first) and keeping them through 2 contracts.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I think our first pick will be a pass rusher or an o-lineman, because those are the strong positions at the top of the draft (Jones/Moore/Ansah/Jordan/Werner/Mingo & Joeckel/Fisher/Johnson/Warmack/Cooper, respectively), so I think one of these guys will be a best-player-available pick. Safeties, wideout, running backs, etc. will be in greater abundance in later rounds.
    I'm leaning this way too. I think BPA is gonna be a pass rusher or OT. And I also think there might be an opportunity to trade down.