Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roethlisberger re-do saves $3 million in cap space

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jooser View Post
    So, I suppose we're up to $14 million saved for next season....
    That puts them Even-Steven with the cap number they were 14 million over I believe. Woodley's restructure will be done shortly and the axe begins to fall to make room for whatever signings they plan on making.

It's still going to get ugly, IMO.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    That puts them Even-Steven with the cap number they were 14 million over I believe. Woodley's restructure will be done shortly and the axe begins to fall to make room for whatever signings they plan on making.

It's still going to get ugly, IMO.

Pappy
    I sincerely doubt it. Who would they cut? Harrison and Troy aren't getting cut. I'd be surprised to see Clark cut. Possibly Keisel but he's still effective. It's not like when Farrior, Ward and Smith went. The guys still on the roster are getting it done or WERE getting it done to close out the season (see Troy and James)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    I sincerely doubt it. Who would they cut? Harrison and Troy aren't getting cut. I'd be surprised to see Clark cut. Possibly Keisel but he's still effective. It's not like when Farrior, Ward and Smith went. The guys still on the roster are getting it done or WERE getting it done to close out the season (see Troy and James)
    Harrison wasn't "Getting it done" at the end of the season. Troy was showing some flashes of his old self but he missed 9 games. Of the four you mentioned, Clark & Keisel were closer to "Getting it done". Won't be the first time they cut a 30+ year old with something left in the tank & it won't be the last. Will any of them be cut? I think only Troy is safe. We will see but none of them should come as a surprise.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Jamison Hensley | ESPN, Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's restructured contract is finally complete, which gives the Steelers $6 million in salary-cap relief in 2013.

RoethlisbergerHow does this help the Steelers? Pittsburgh now should be close to being under the salary cap. The Steelers were reportedly $14 million over the cap, and if my math is correct, they have created $14 million in cap space by restructuring the contracts of Roethlisberger, linebacker Lawrence Timmons and wide receiver Antonio Brown. There is still more work to be done. The team needs to gain more cap room because it needs to tender contracts to restricted free agents (like wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders) and sign other free agents (potentially wide receiver Steve Breaston).

How does this help the Ravens? By having Roethlisberger convert his 2013 salary into a signing bonus, the exclusive franchise tag for quarterbacks (which is the average of the top five salaries for the position) went down to $19.08 million. The tag had been $20.4 million before Roethlisberger and Tom Brady reworked their deals. The Ravens will put the tag on Joe Flacco if they can't reach a long-term deal with the Super Bowl MVP in five days. It didn't matter if the Steelers had waited until after March 4 to restructure Roethlisberger's contract. The franchise tag counts as $14.7 million (exclusive and non-exclusive) until all of the salaries are finalized in April. That's when the exclusive franchise tag number has to be accounted for under the cap.

How does this help Roethlisberger? Restructuring Roethlisberger's contract decreases his salary-cap number in 2013 but it inflates it for the 2014 and 2015 seasons. His cap number next season is projected to be around $18 million. At that point, with two years remaining on that deal, the Steelers would likely approach Roethlisberger about a new contract in 2014. Just don't expect it to be such a team-friendly deal like the one signed by Brady earlier this week.
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

Btw, I still hold out hope Siverback will remain a Steeler. He could give us two more good years being healthy, enough time to groom a Jarvis Jones or whoever we pick at OLB. The question is how they do it.
    Some say it can't be done, maybe I'm a loner on that matter as I think they still want JH and find a way to keep him.

We'll leave the light on for you James.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 02-28-2013 at 03:52 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Maybe we watch different games?
    Harrison wasnt getting it done?
    I thought he was the only pass rusher getting it done when he was rushing the QB and not forced into coverage.
    His last 6 games he had
    37 tackles-4 sacks-2 FF
    I'm not stating that he should be paid the full salary this season or not asked to take a cut, but to say he didn't get it done is wrong in my opinion.

Legend

User Info Menu

$14m gets the Steelers close, if not bang on, the Cap. They will still need to clear the space to sign the erfa's and rfa's, which should add up to around $7m.

If the Steelers want to resign Lewis, at least 1 player has to go.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Kool-Aid McKinstry CB
    2. Sedrick Van Pran-Grainger OC
    3. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Maason Smith DT
    4. Matt Goncalves OT
    6. Trevin Wallace ILB
    7. AJ Barner TE

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Maybe we watch different games?
    Harrison wasnt getting it done?
    I thought he was the only pass rusher getting it done when he was rushing the QB and not forced into coverage.
    His last 6 games he had
    37 tackles-4 sacks-2 FF
    I'm not stating that he should be paid the full salary this season or not asked to take a cut, but to say he didn't get it done is wrong in my opinion.
    If you are comparing him to Woodley's year...Who wouldn't look good. We are wathching the same games. When the season ended, I went back and watched every game since Ravens #2 and singled out the "Old Money" club. Harrison was getting turned out of holes by TEs, engulfed by OT, and couldn't get down the LOS like he used to. I saw more arm tackle attemps from him over those last games than anyone would be comfortable with. Harrison's back and knee injuries has made him stiff and he has no deflection in his body to get under an OT to use leverage. He now gets punched & redirected. His sacks against Ten & Clev1 actually came from an inside blitz in a sub package. So in my opinion, he isn't getting it done.

Everyone wants to put Harrison on a pedestal and say he played lights out to end the season. If anyone in here wants to use the last game against the Browns as any indication of where Harrison is...You are looking for something to hold on to. He was playing to save his career against a team going home. Look when the games mattered. After the Ravens2, In the next 3 MUST WIN games, which the Steelers lost,Harrison went 10 tackles-1 sack-1 forced fumble...TOTAL over those 3 games! His 1 sack was a botched shotgun snap with 4 minutes to go against the Bengals where Dalton scrambled to keep them in FG range which went down as a sack for 0 yards. That isn't the Harrison we know. In the last game when it was all over but making a case to stick around...He equalled his production over the last three games in one game against the Browns. Where was Harrison when the chips were on the table? The body wouldn't go. It won't get better for a 35 year old with back issues.

Harrison is scheduled to earn his highest year (10 mil) coming off his worst season since he earned his starter label and he will be 35. He gets paid for what he will do not what he has done. Injuries, age, drop off in production, and his huge cap hit make it very difficult to make any argument why he should remain at his given salary. Add in the Steelers salary cap sitaution. Harrion's relief contributes a big chunk of paying RFAs, the draft class, and retaining Lewis. What clouds many judment is the year Woodley had on the other side. If Woodley put up 60/12, many would say it is time to move on. Since he outplayed Woodley, many think he is still at the top of his game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    You think the Steelers are going to drop crazy cash on Harrison? It won't happen. Same with Troy, both guys are injury ridden and aged. That isn't the Steelers MO. They make the tough cuts with maybe a year or two left in aging players careers. Both need cut, because neither can stay on the field.
    Trolls are people too.