Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Brown restructures contract

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    The players they are restructuring: Woodley, Brown, Ben and Timmons...not on the downside...
    No, and nobody is saying they are. Troy, Harrison, Hampton, Foote, Clark, Ike.......possibly are though.
    @_Hellgrammite

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    No, and nobody is saying they are. Troy, Harrison, Hampton, Foote, Clark, Ike.......possibly are though.
    Hampton is gone, foote is cheap. Clark and Ike both had good to great seasons. Troy and Harrison once healthy starting playing just like they've always played so no I don't think these guys are on the "decline" they're just old. Old doesn't mean bad.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    Hampton is gone, foote is cheap. Clark and Ike both had good to great seasons. Troy and Harrison once healthy starting playing just like they've always played so no I don't think these guys are on the "decline" they're just old. Old doesn't mean bad.
    when was the last time troy and harrison played a full year?
    too much money for playing half seasons

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    Thats all I'm saying, and when is the last season our OL stayed remotely healthy? Need room to address that by keeping Starks who played all 16 games last year.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Thats all I'm saying, and when is the last season our OL stayed remotely healthy? Need room to address that by keeping Starks who played all 16 games last year.
    yup, ton of money tied up in guys that are old and always injured and on an 8-8 team with ZERO upside.

Legend

User Info Menu

Let us not talk about all of these players as if the deal is done. As far as we know - Timmons is done, Brown is done. There is speculation about Woodley, Ben but until we know then we don't know.

I am still holding out for a deep cut. It is such a shame that we have to wait almost two months for the draft. Things could be clearer by then based on who we pick early. If someone like Jones or Ansah lasts until 17, I could see us releasing JH, but for now we have to wait.

My two predictions to help against the cap:

1) Colon cut post June 1, allowing us to save $5.5M this year, but a huge dead weight hit next season around $4M. No point in keeping his fat contract around if he never sees the field, despite the big hit we will be forced to swallow.

2) JH is asked to take a sizable pay cut. I can see them asking him to play for around $2.57M, which would save $4M against the cap. If he refuses then he could be released. Perhaps the augment the reduction with some performance bonuses that will allow him to earn more if he returns to an elite level.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    You still can't completely cast them off. Sure if they were marginal players but they're players at the top of each position and Harrison might be past his back issue which was the part of his body causing him to miss time. Troy also stayed healthy towards the end of the season. Either way they aren't players you cut.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This one surprises me. I didn't think it was necessary to do Brown this year. I hate to say this, but they may be wringing out as much as possible to perhaps keep <cough> some vets around one more year who we all thought were on the outs. OR...Make room to Keep "him" on the roster until after June 1st. Hmmm interesting.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Let us not talk about all of these players as if the deal is done. As far as we know - Timmons is done, Brown is done. There is speculation about Woodley, Ben but until we know then we don't know.

I am still holding out for a deep cut. It is such a shame that we have to wait almost two months for the draft. Things could be clearer by then based on who we pick early. If someone like Jones or Ansah lasts until 17, I could see us releasing JH, but for now we have to wait.

My two predictions to help against the cap:

1) Colon cut post June 1, allowing us to save $5.5M this year, but a huge dead weight hit next season around $4M. No point in keeping his fat contract around if he never sees the field, despite the big hit we will be forced to swallow.

2) JH is asked to take a sizable pay cut. I can see them asking him to play for around $2.57M, which would save $4M against the cap. If he refuses then he could be released. Perhaps the augment the reduction with some performance bonuses that will allow him to earn more if he returns to an elite level.
    If Harrison was to play for 2.57 mil his 2013 cap hit would be $6,035,000. He is under contract so the Steelers don't get an exemption for a vet. Harrison has $3,465,000 of bonus already allocated to the 2013 cap.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    You still can't completely cast them off. Sure if they were marginal players but they're players at the top of each position and Harrison might be past his back issue which was the part of his body causing him to miss time. Troy also stayed healthy towards the end of the season. Either way they aren't players you cut.
    Harrison is a player you cut. The Steelers have cut aged vets in the past with some production. He will be 35 and his production has slipped. A 10 mil cap hit with a player behind him drafted as a replacement in his last year. A back issue with any player engaged snap to whistle will never get better. Harrison is too stiff now to rush the edge and that may never change. Harrison's cards are stacked against him. Will they make room for him if he doesn't take a pay cut? We will soon find out.

Polamalu on the other hand will get another year. He has trouble staying healthy but when he is on the field healthy he shows signs. He will be 32 but his injuries haven't been signifcant to his position. His calf and achilles injuries didn't require surgery. If those injuries resurface...Say goodbye to him after this year.