Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antonio Brown restructures contract

Legend

User Info Menu

Antonio Brown restructures contract

Antonio Brown restructures contract

Posted by Mike Florio on February 27, 2013, 2:55 PM EST

Getty Images
    The Steelers are looking under every rock to create cap space.

The latest candidate for a restructured deal was receiver [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5698/antonio-brown"]Antonio Brown[/URL].

Per a source with knowledge of the transaction, Brown reduced his $4.5 million base salary to a minimum salary of $650,000.

The remaining $3.85 million was converted to a signing bonus, which will be spread over the five remaining years of Brown’s contract.

It results in a cap savings of $3.08 million to the Steelers.

While not a massive reduction, every dollar helps for a team that used to have cap problems only when the wind was whipping off the Monongahela.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

this one makes sense

Legend

User Info Menu

If my math is correct, that's $8.5 million saved, with Ben and Woodley, perhaps Harrison and Troy as well still to go.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Brown's going to cost nearly $9m against the cap in 2014....
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Darius Robinson DT
    2. Malachi Corley WR
    3. Mike Sainristil CB
    3. Beaux Limmer OC
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Travis Glover OT
    7. Josh Proctor S

Legend

User Info Menu

Baby steps Chadman! LOL.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm guessing the Steelers feel they really didn't have many problems as they want to keep the band together.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I'm guessing the Steelers feel they really didn't have many problems as they want to keep the band together.
    That is the attitude that got us into this mess wanting to get "one more year" out of players clearly on the downside of their careers.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Rookie

User Info Menu

The players they are restructuring: Woodley, Brown, Ben and Timmons...not on the downside...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    That is the attitude that got us into this mess wanting to get "one more year" out of players clearly on the downside of their careers.
    Let's be real. How many players do we have on our roster that are on the downside of their career? Hampton is done. Foote is still reliable and IMO Polamalu is far from done he's just been plagued with a couple injuries. We saw classic troy at the tail end of the year and the same can be said from Harrison. We aren't talking about Jason Gildon here and the Steelers HAVE NEVER kept players around past their effectiveness. You can run the list of guys that were let go because either A. Someone was waiting in the wings. Porter with Gildon, Harrison with Porter and the list goes on or B. because they just weren't as effective. If these guys stick around it's not because the team is afraid to cut them or let them walk it's because the front office believes they're the right guys for the job. All this Monday morning quarterback stuff on our board is starting to border the ridiculous.

We can give our opinion but when the dust settles we aren't being paid to run this team. Hell the season Ward, Farrior and Smith all went should be all the evidence anyone should need to know and understand the front office isn't making emotional decisions. We also can't be on the board worrying about "leadership" yet discussing how cogs on our defense need to go. If Troy goes, Harrison goes, Keisel goes and whomever else WHO THE HELL is left to be a leader on the team? Wanna talk about leadership problems now? You'll really be talking about them if that goes down.

Bottom line I trust the front office to do what is right by the team AND the city. They'll make it work and we'll be fine like we've always been fine. As it's been pointed out before the team seems to work in a series of 3, two really strong seasons and a "down" season. Chicken little can get hit by a truck, maybe it's because I don't operate that way, maybe I'm naive but my name isn't Kevin Colbert and he's done pretty damn well with the cards he's been dealt for a LONG A$$ time. People need to chill.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Exactly. The restructures so far are players that are the present and future of this team.