Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Schefter: Woodley next

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    He gets NO additional money. He just gets a huge portion up front as opposed to each week.
    It also makes him more secure as a player. It also means he can get lazier and the Steelers can do nothing about it. I just hope he chooses to be great instead of mediocre.

I will believe this happens when it is announced by the Steelers.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Woodley is going to look dominant once again. He really should be a 4-3 DE though.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Woodley is going to look dominant once again. He really should be a 4-3 DE though.
    What?? Dude he had 35 sacks over 3 years as an OLB in this 3-4 from 2008-2010. He is fine as an OLB, he just needs to get his head on right and more than anything, stay healthy.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    what a joke.
    woodley took last season off and now your'e going to pay him even more upfront guaranteed money?
    why in the world woulkd you want to give a guy a bonus for coming into camp out of shape and dogging it most of the year?
    terrible restructure!
    Because the Steeler front office and coaching staff are around the guy every day and have a little better feel for the reasons behind his lack of production than we do. He is a dynamic play making olb and they believe he will be again. The other reason is to free up more cap space for this year. They have a plan believe it or not and those plans may include players that we are all writing off as either old, malcontent or worthless.

We have no idea what the Steelers think, but it will unfold in the next few weeks. Their pick at 1.17 is going to shock the majority of this board, IMO.

Pappy
    Last edited by papillon; 02-27-2013 at 09:36 PM.

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Woodley is a stud. He'll be back to form. He's had injury issues throughout his career and as a result has been up and down. Either really good or really bad. Always comes up big in the big games.

I think injuries can be a bit of bad luck and some guys can get over the hump and be ok. We've had a lot of injured guys or guys coming back from major injury. I think we'll get our groove back and Woodley will be a big part of it. I believe in the guy. I'm not sure we have the whole story here.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkeylargo View Post
    He gets NO additional money. He just gets a huge portion up front as opposed to each week.
    i understand that.
    point being is the money that he would have had to work for the next few years of his contract have been given to him up front. he bagged it last year now he has even less incentive to workout and produce,

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Snatch98 View Post
    .....He can't afford to have another down season and I don't believe we'll see one from him.......)
    I beg to differ with you on this one. Woodley can "afford" to do whatever he wants. He already has more guaranteed money in the bank than most of us will see in an entire lifetime or even the lifetime of our kids. That's the big problem with guaranteed money.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    What?? Dude he had 35 sacks over 3 years as an OLB in this 3-4 from 2008-2010. He is fine as an OLB, he just needs to get his head on right and more than anything, stay healthy.
    Just my opinion. I think he would suffer less injuries and won't have a long career at OLB.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I beg to differ with you on this one. Woodley can "afford" to do whatever he wants. He already has more guaranteed money in the bank than most of us will see in an entire lifetime or even the lifetime of our kids. That's the big problem with guaranteed money.
    its like paying your kids in advance for doing their chores.
    whats the motivation if they already have the money?
    and lets face it, most of these players have the mental makeup of children.

Legend

User Info Menu

Restructuring also ties the player and the team closer together, because it becomes more expensive in future years to cut that player. For example, had they not restructured Colon, it would be cheaper to cut him now.....nevermind the fact that they gave him a long term deal to begin with.