Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Schefter: Woodley next

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Lets say NT Joe Blue makes 5 mill in salary per year with a five yr.contract, then the team restructures his contract. He is in his second year of the contract with three remaining to restruture.
    Now instead of paying him 5 mill in base the remaining three which would be 15 mill, they give him an eight mill bonus year one, and one mill in base. That would be 9 mill then spread the rest out the other two years at 3 mill each.

Before he restructured he was making 5 mill a yr. Now with a one yr. base at 1 mill but 8 mill in bonus wouldn't he be paying more since his income level is increased from the original 5 to now nine?

Any tax lawyers in the house? I'm sure you can figure a way that Joe Blue only pays a minimal amount in taxes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    all woodley has to do is put forth an effort the last year of his contract to get his next.
    the steelers have set him up to take the next couple seasons off(like he did this year) and then workout and perform his last.
    given how woodley is more concerned about the tv, facebook, social media aspect of sports and celebrity lifestyle, i can see him continuing down that road until cruchtime for the next contract. who knows, maybe woodley is satisfied with the million he has and doesnt care to play football after this contract.
    Along these lines, Chad Johnson has said he lost interest/focus on football when he started making more money off the field.

So that seems reasonable from that perspective. But I'm not sure that's who Woodley is. He's been up and down throughout his career. I really do think the track record shows that it is injury issues.

Some of it's luck. And some may be in his control. It would be nice if someone pushed him by stepping up and showing he's ready to take Woodley's spot.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Lets say NT Joe Blue makes 5 mill in salary per year with a five yr.contract, then the team restructures his contract. He is in his second year of the contract with three remaining to restruture.
    Now instead of paying him 5 mill in base the remaining three which would be 15 mill, they give him an eight mill bonus year one, and one mill in base. That would be 9 mill then spread the rest out the other two years at 3 mill each.

Before he restructured he was making 5 mill a yr. Now with a one yr. base at 1 mill but 8 mill in bonus wouldn't he be paying more since his income level is increased from the original 5 to now nine?

Any tax lawyers in the house? I'm sure you can figure a way that Joe Blue only pays a minimal amount in taxes.
    The tax rate is the same for $5M or $9M. He'd be at the 40% rate in either scenario.