Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Schefter: Woodley next

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    its like paying your kids in advance for doing their chores.
    whats the motivation if they already have the money?
    and lets face it, most of these players have the mental makeup of children.
    The only way this would make any sense is if this is a guy's last contract before he retires. Woodley has additional contracts in his future to play for. And they'll be much bigger than this one. There's absolutely a motivator assuming money is the only thing that motivates people.

Money or no money, a lot of people will do their best in any situation.

It'd be neat if we all had to broadcast our work lives so we could be ridiculed for how lazy we are at the McD's grill from time to time. I can see the posts now, "Why would Squidkid Schedule a Dentist Appointment During the Lunch Rush?" or "Flippy Not as Committed as Part Time 16 Year Old - Time to Cut Him for Youth Movement".

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Question:

When a player restructures his contract and takes the bonus in lieu of his salary wouldn't he pay more in taxes with that lump sum bonus or do they spread that bonus out?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

The Steelers will take a big hit with or without the restructure if Woodley flops. Better to get the cap relief and put him on notice.First...Let me say I believe Woodley will get the message and get back to form. Believe me...There is a message for him & his agent about "whom" he was in 2012 and where he better be going forward. He is in the long term plans if they restructure him. As someone said, Woodley is just getting the majority of his money due to him for 2013 up front. It isn't a raise or additional monies. The Steelers incur the cap hit of his 2013 monies spread out over the remaining years. The risk is additional dead money if he flops. But if he returns to form....His salary would be right scale with an upper tier 3-4 OLB. "Upper Tirer" equates to sacks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The Steelers claim Woodley always was big but didn't mention game shape, also Woodley admits he didn't play well and said it had nothing to do with the money, his injuries set him back, hammy's and ankle sprains.
    I don't think he intentionally wanted to dog it out there, he did the best he could under the circumstances
    I do know Woodley can impact a game when he is healthy, myself included we forget the good things he did like... an NFL-record seven consecutive playoff games with a sack.

He has the skills, and I believe with all the talk out there about him, he'll take it to heart and play like we know he is capable of this coming season.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Question:

When a player restructures his contract and takes the bonus in lieu of his salary wouldn't he pay more in taxes with that lump sum bonus or do they spread that bonus out?
    I would imagine that the tax bit is pretty much the same once you are making that much money. Sadly, I don't have any personal experience that I can offer.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I would imagine that the tax bit is pretty much the same once you are making that much money. Sadly, I don't have any personal experience that I can offer.
    I don't know about Pennsylvania taxes, but in Ohio, lump sum bonuses are generally taxed at a higher rate than salary...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I don't know about Pennsylvania taxes, but in Ohio, lump sum bonuses are generally taxed at a higher rate than salary...
    I'm far from an expert on this, but isn't it because the bonus appears as though you are in a higher tax bracket? These guys are already in the highest bracket anyway...

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I'm far from an expert on this, but isn't it because the bonus appears as though you are in a higher tax bracket? These guys are already in the highest bracket anyway...
    I don't think so...

For example, I've received a bonus in the past (far more modest than any NFLers) that did not move me into a higher bracket...yet, it was taxed at a greater amount...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I don't think so...

For example, I've received a bonus in the past (far more modest than any NFLers) that did not move me into a higher bracket...yet, it was taxed at a greater amount...
    The NFL players are already in the highest tax bracket. So their regular check or the bonus will be treated exactly the same.

It's different for us poor shlubs where a bonus check looks like it's putting us in a different tax bracket. I'll give you an example.

I make $5k/yr at McDs. That puts me in the 10% tax bracket. Then I get a $1k bonus and the gov't thinks I'm getting paid biweekly and making $24k/yr. So that $1k check is treated like I'm in the 15% tax bracket.

Woodley makes $1M per month. Puts him in the 40% tax bracket. If he gets all of it in a bonus and the Steelers give him $12M, the US gov't thinks he's making $144M per year which is still in the 40% tax bracket.

When you make ooodles of money, you're so far above the highest tax bracket, it doesn't matter. Nothing changes.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The only way this would make any sense is if this is a guy's last contract before he retires. Woodley has additional contracts in his future to play for. And they'll be much bigger than this one. There's absolutely a motivator assuming money is the only thing that motivates people.

Money or no money, a lot of people will do their best in any situation.

It'd be neat if we all had to broadcast our work lives so we could be ridiculed for how lazy we are at the McD's grill from time to time. I can see the posts now, "Why would Squidkid Schedule a Dentist Appointment During the Lunch Rush?" or "Flippy Not as Committed as Part Time 16 Year Old - Time to Cut Him for Youth Movement".
    all woodley has to do is put forth an effort the last year of his contract to get his next.
    the steelers have set him up to take the next couple seasons off(like he did this year) and then workout and perform his last.
    given how woodley is more concerned about the tv, facebook, social media aspect of sports and celebrity lifestyle, i can see him continuing down that road until cruchtime for the next contract. who knows, maybe woodley is satisfied with the million he has and doesnt care to play football after this contract.