Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greg Cosell: T'eo is a base inside linebacker in the NFL

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Greg Cosell: T'eo is a base inside linebacker in the NFL

Greg Cosell was on the Herd this morning. He watches more film than anyone outside of scouts and personnel men in the NFL.

They asked him about Manti's combine performance. Here are a few things he said:

Wasn't surprised by his combine results because it is the same as his tape.

He said T'eo is a purely a base ILB in the NFL. He is good inside the box. He can stop the run and shed blocks.

He struggles outside the box and when asked to cover outside the box.

He will never play in any sub packages in the NFL.

Doesn't view him as a first round pick.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Just listened to an analysis on ESPN. I forget the guys name...May maybe? But, he stated any team who drafts Te'o in round one should fire their GM. I agree. I think he falls like a rock on draft day. I suspect he will be sitting there in round 2 for the Steelers. I might look at him there.
    Trolls are people too.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Greg Cosell was on the Herd this morning. He watches more film than anyone outside of scouts and personnel men in the NFL.

They asked him about Manti's combine performance. Here are a few things he said:

Wasn't surprised by his combine results because it is the same as his tape.

He said T'eo is a purely a base ILB in the NFL. He is good inside the box. He can stop the run and shed blocks.

He struggles outside the box and when asked to cover outside the box.

He will never play in any sub packages in the NFL.

Doesn't view him as a first round pick.
    I hardly thinks this is ground breaking information. This is what Manti T'eo has been the past 4 years. As much as I love the kid I have never tried to paint him as a complete LB. He does have some liability in pass coverage. Having said that, this past year he improved leaps and bounds. Will he ever be great at it? No. Put him in the right system, like a 3-4 zone blitz, where he will primarily drop into a zone, I think because of his excellent read and react skills he will do well in that. But he is a thumper by nature. When asked to come forward 2 and 3 years ago, at 255 lbs, he was a machine in the opponents back field. This is another reason why I have been so all over him. He is an ideal fit next to Timmons. This would allow LeBeau the freedom to move Timmons around (blitz him more, disguise more, etc,). With Larry Foote in the middle Timmons has had to stay home a lot more than what is beneficial to the Steelers and Timmons over-all game.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

Mark May is a PITT alumn and a classic ND hater...

I agree with him but I wouldn't take his word as fact.

Kind of reminds me of Josh McDaniels. He tied his future to Tebow and was gone after 2 seasons. Any GM who takes Te'o takes a risk because of the hype and media craze

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Just listened to an analysis on ESPN. I forget the guys name...May maybe? But, he stated any team who drafts Te'o in round one should fire their GM. I agree. I think he falls like a rock on draft day. I suspect he will be sitting there in round 2 for the Steelers. I might look at him there.
    Again, I would have no problem drafting him at 17. The player you are going to get for the next 10 years will make it worth it. Of course I would love to get him in round 2. I love the Steelers more than I love him and that would be great value. But I doubt very seriously if he and Minter get past Green Bay and Baltimore at 26 and 32.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    I hardly thinks this is ground breaking information. This is what Manti T'eo has been the past 4 years. As much as I love the kid I have never tried to paint him as a complete LB. He does have some liability in pass coverage. Having said that, this past year he improved leaps and bounds. Will he ever be great at it? No. Put him in the right system, like a 3-4 zone blitz, where he will primarily drop into a zone, I think because of his excellent read and react skills he will do well in that. But he is a thumper by nature. When asked to come forward 2 and 3 years ago, at 255 lbs, he was a machine in the opponents back field. This is another reason why I have been so all over him. He is an ideal fit next to Timmons. This would allow LeBeau the freedom to move Timmons around (blitz him more, disguise more, etc,). With Larry Foote in the middle Timmons has had to stay home a lot more than what is beneficial to the Steelers and Timmons over-all game.
    I know it's not ground breaking information. I think it confirms my opinion on T'eo. Not saying it must be anyone else's opinion. He's not a first round pick and will make it to the 2nd rd.

I wouldn't pick him at 17 if I was Colbert/Tomlin.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I know it's not ground breaking information. I think it confirms my opinion on T'eo. Not saying it must be anyone else's opinion. He's not a first round pick and will make it to the 2nd rd.

I wouldn't pick him at 17 if I was Colbert/Tomlin.
    But you would use the 17th overall pick on a 4.57 WR who may have limitations himself?...............oh ok...????

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

But you would use the 17th overall pick on a 4.57 WR who may have limitations himself?...............oh ok...????
    First of all, you can put your stock in the 40 all you want. You can explain away T'eo's athletic limitations all you want by saying "Go to the tape."

I tell you to do the same thing. Go to the tape. Deandre Hopkins plays fast on tape. The 40 is as much about technique as anything.

What a weak counter argument you made.

The simple asnwer is: You don't take an ILB that will never play in sub packages with the 17th overall pick.

Hopkins has Roddy White like potential. White ran a 4.45 40 at his pro day. Want to bet Hopkins comes closer to that?
    Here comes the BOOM!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

First of all, you can put your stock in the 40 all you want. You can explain away T'eo's athletic limitations all you want by saying "Go to the tape."

I tell you to do the same thing. Go to the tape. Deandre Hopkins plays fast on tape. The 40 is as much about technique as anything.

What a weak counter argument you made.

The simple asnwer is: You don't take an ILB that will never play in sub packages with the 17th overall pick.

Hopkins has Roddy White like potential. White ran a 4.45 40 at his pro day. Want to bet Hopkins comes closer to that?
    Come on now you know you have heard me talk on DeAndre Hopkins a 100 times. I love the dude, however you are being a little hypocritical when you knock T'eo for not being complete and say he isnt worthy of the 17th overall pick or even a first round pick yet are ok with drafting Hopkins at 17 when he too has some limitations. And it is ok to take a WR at 17 who may only play as the 3rd WR on the team for next year and maybe even longer? Isn't that comparable to T'eo not playing in sub-packages?

A smell an agenda.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Come on now you know you have heard me talk on DeAndre Hopkins a 100 times. I love the dude, however you are being a little hypocritical when you knock T'eo for not being complete and say he isnt worthy of the 17th overall pick or even a first round pick yet are ok with drafting Hopkins at 17 when he too has some limitations. And it is ok to take a WR at 17 who may only play as the 3rd WR on the team for next year and maybe even longer? Isn't that comparable to T'eo not playing in sub-packages?

A smell an agenda.
    I do have an agenda. Hopkins is a very polished receiver and would be a very good #2 option for the Steelers at Wr.

Much better pick than a limited ILB at 17.
    Here comes the BOOM!