Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 More Months Til Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

2 More Months Til Draft

Does anyone else love and hate this part of the offseason?

I love watching as many college players as I can this time of year. And I really appreciate all the insight people on this board have for different schools and conferences. I really rely on you guys more than some of the experts. I trust a lot of you more. You guys tell me what you see instead of just repeating the same stuff about every player out there.

But on the flip side, the thing I hate is I get emotionally invested in so many guys that never become Steelers. Come the start of the season, we're only going to have 1 #1 draft choice. And in my mind I've considered close to 50 guys that could be Steelers.

And I know most of you guys are with me here. This stuff is great fun. Best part of the season. I read you guys doing the same things as me - moving Pouncey to G, going with the 2 TE sets, replacing some aging vets.

There's gonna be some initial let down when we don't get 49 of those guys. And we'll move on and get excited about the guys we get. There's probably gonna be a couple draft picks everyone's gonna be puzzled to see us take. But we'll get on board and hope for the best.

I know I'm setting myself up for a bit of a let down. But who cares? This is still the best part of the season. And keep the info coming fellas. Thanks for all of your hard work.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Welcome to my world flippy. You know I love the draft and watching future prospects. I have a long list every year, usually starting as yearly as September, that I would love to have as a Steeler. And that is why I love the draft. It is all about the Steelers. The draft is like Christmas II. We as football fans get new toys. Every year I take the GBNREPORT's top 300 and check them off as they are drafted during the draft. And more times than not I watch almost the entire draft. Yes, I have issues. But like you, I love this time of year. The anticipation drives me crazy. I wish the draft was end of March and they moved up camps a month. That would be cool.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I have been trying to figure out how the leagues wish to push the draft and free agency until a month or two later will effect my NFL fandom and the development of drafted youngsters and newly acquired free agents.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wouldn't it be cool if the league started a small developmental league for the un-drafted players? Then held a second draft (maybe end of August), for these players each year? Allow them to play in the league two years max. Maybe a 6 to 8 game schedule for maybe 4-6 teams? Teams can draft them after their first year and hold their rights over a second season in the development league. Expand rosters etc.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Welcome to my world flippy. You know I love the draft and watching future prospects. I have a long list every year, usually starting as yearly as September, that I would love to have as a Steeler. And that is why I love the draft. It is all about the Steelers. The draft is like Christmas II. We as football fans get new toys. Every year I take the GBNREPORT's top 300 and check them off as they are drafted during the draft. And more times than not I watch almost the entire draft. Yes, I have issues. But like you, I love this time of year. The anticipation drives me crazy. I wish the draft was end of March and they moved up camps a month. That would be cool.
    You take the whole draft thing to a different level bro. My draft season typical runs from the end of the playoffs thru April. Yours goes year round. So I know you're even more invested in this process than most of us.

A lot of times I get too busy during football season to keep up. But I always write down guys you mention throughout the season to go take a look at on a rainy day. I appreciate all your insight.

It'd be cool if we could get guys on this board to cover all the college teams for us so we don't miss anything. I don't follow a specific school, but get to see a lot of ACC games and I'll watch Pitt, Penn State, or WVU when I can and I'll always watch an SEC game because they tend to have the best talent. But I appreciate the guys that see a specific team week in and week out because y'all can tell us more about a player beyond the highlights.

We should start a thread seeing who watches which college teams regularly.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wouldn't it be cool if the league started a small developmental league for the un-drafted players? Then held a second draft (maybe end of August), for these players each year? Allow them to play in the league two years max. Maybe a 6 to 8 game schedule for maybe 4-6 teams? Teams can draft them after their first year and hold their rights over a second season in the development league. Expand rosters etc.
    That would be great. We've got quite a few minor league teams (baseball, hockey) in NC and going to games is a blast. I know I can't afford to go to pro games very often, but $5 for a minor league game is perfect.

But I suspect the NFL views college football as their minor league. Or NFL Europe. Or the CFL.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

..and one other thing, I think football fans would much rather like this than expanding NFL football overseas and having a team in London.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would like to see a minor league of some kind that would run from right after the SB until the end of April...

They can put all of the practice squad guys on it plus other FA's looking for work. Start teams in NFL cities-not 32 teams obviously, but regional teams would work to start it out of the gates..

^^^something similar to whats above ^^^
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Legend

User Info Menu

I wish the NFL had a minor league or developmental kleague whatever you want to call it and then college football could go back to being an extracurricular activity for those players that enjoy playing, are good enough top play past college, but have no desire or not enough talent to compete in the NFL. The big name guys that think they're going to make a living at football can join the developmental league, hone their craft and then get drafted whenever a team in the NFL sees fit.

I know it will never happen with all the money attached to college football, but that's my dream.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I enjoy reading the posts here regarding all the players. It's hard enough for me to watch the Steelers, let alone amateur football. Because of that, much of the knowledge of these guys that I get comes from this forum.

I also wish that the NFL had a farm system of some kind. The NCAA is a racket, IMO, and I'd love to see their power over football substantially weakened.