Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I would draft Honey Badger

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    No thanks. There are plenty of other DBs who really want an NFL career. Don't need to roll the dice on this guy.

BTW, the weed may not be an issue for you guys sitting in your living room lighting up but it is for the Steelers and the NFL. How quickly you forget Stupidio Holmes.
    You mean the guy who was MVP and helped us win a championship? The guy who pretty much willed the Jetd into the playoffs a few years ago? That guy?

IMO getting caught smoking weed once in college isnt a big deal to me... getting caught multiple times and getting kicked off a team is. Do you really think weed made Holmes into the selfish guy that he is? No... plenty of WRs and NFL players are idiots or difficult to deal with once they get money or want a big contract.

I remember a NFL player saying something like 60% of the NFL smokes in the offseason. I made that number up but you guys need to stop acting like its crack or uncommon.

The problem with this kid is he did it over and over to the point he was kicked off a SEC team.. that is rare.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    You mean the guy who was MVP and helped us win a championship? The guy who pretty much willed the Jetd into the playoffs a few years ago? That guy?

IMO getting caught smoking weed once in college isnt a big deal to me... getting caught multiple times and getting kicked off a team is. Do you really think weed made Holmes into the selfish guy that he is? No... plenty of WRs and NFL players are idiots or difficult to deal with once they get money or want a big contract.

I remember a NFL player saying something like 60% of the NFL smokes in the offseason. I made that number up but you guys need to stop acting like its crack or uncommon.

The problem with this kid is he did it over and over to the point he was kicked off a SEC team.. that is rare.
    Let's say this kid really did have a light go on and he has truly sworn off weed. Like I said, a strong bench press is fairly meaningless in football for a DB, but he knew he would be tested on it so why not bother to lift a little bit so he didn't completely bomb that part. That just shows me he doesn't give a sh-t.

Legend

User Info Menu

didnt read the whole thread

but wasnt he busted with bath salts too

weed is one thing. that chit is crazy
    Last edited by NJ-STEELER; 02-26-2013 at 07:52 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

blah blah blah, no team chemistry, blah blah blah, I'm sick of all these bad attitudes, blah blah blah, I want the Steelers to draft Tyrann Mathieu

Huh?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    blah blah blah, no team chemistry, blah blah blah, I'm sick of all these bad attitudes, blah blah blah, I want the Steelers to draft Tyrann Mathieu

Huh?
    His teammates say he was a good teammate. Blah, blah, blah - no attitude problem.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    His teammates say he was a good teammate. Blah, blah, blah - no attitude problem.
    Depends on how you look at that. A good teammate doesn't get kicked off the team. An act that actually hurts your teammates chances at winning a national championship.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Depends on how you look at that. A good teammate doesn't get kicked off the team. An act that actually hurts your teammates chances at winning a national championship.
    Yea, but that is a much different animal than just being a negative, whining teammate, which is what Wallace and Mendenhall were. That is what you referenced, yet there is no evidence Honey Badger was a jerk in the locker room like those two morons.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    No thanks. I knew a man who had the responsibility of raising children and he was high all the time. I know the affects that it has on a family. Say what you think you know about marijuana but I know the truth. A man who never had the desire to support his family, who was too lazy to do anything for himself, and was always irritable when he didn't have his high. And then that high got to a point where it wasnt strong enough for him anymore. Because drugs are a physical addiction as well as a mental obsession his body required a stronger high. He then had to upgrade to cocaine then crystal meth. Then he became a monster to his daughter and son. I dont think legalizing marijuana is a good idea.
    Pot isn't addictive...he was broken with or without it.
    @_Hellgrammite

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    For what it's worth, Chadman's with Dee Dub on this. Any substance that impares judgement the way that weed does cannot be allowed to be used holus-bolus.

Now, some of you will ask the difference between weed & alcohol in that regard, and the answer is... well, there's really not much difference. How many crimes, or injuries are suffered as a result of alcohol?

Of course, to put this in perspective, this viewpoint is coming from a tea-tottler...
    It isn't the substance being used, but the substance of the person using. Moderation with all things in life is key. I can drive up the road to 5 different fast food joints and show you a dozen people so f'n obese, with their children, where their obesity causes their children just as much harm as the man described in Dee Dubs post. I can name a multitude of people at my 150 person firm that are so stressed out by simply doing their jobs that they are complete jerks to be within 10 yards of them irritates you within minutes and it ruins their family lives.

Pot should be the least of America's worries plus it has plenty of benefits for medicinal purposes. Some will argue you can get the same benefits from synthetic drugs the pharmaceutical companies and doctors push. Why pay some company for chemicals created by man with side effects as long as my arm, when those it benefits could plant a seed like growing tomatoes.

The benefits of legalizing extend even beyond medical. It takes tax dollars to enforce keeping it illegal and to support folks in prison for growing and selling. It takes money out of the Mexican drug lords hands. It puts money in farmers hands for selling the buds and stalks which can be used as paper and clothing and textiles. The government could set up state stores and even tax it and use those dollars on education. There are plenty of positives to a legalization of it.

Truth be told though I think that a person that truly wants to be a professional athlete should not smoke pot, just as they should not smoke cigarettes or drink a lot of alcohol.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 02-26-2013 at 09:09 PM.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

I think weed should be legal. I don't use it or have a desire to use it. If it was legal, it would be ok for a football player to use it. As much pain as these guys go through, I think it makes a lot of potential sense.

But it's not legal. So someone that shows that he's willing to break one law is probably ready and willing to break another. And I don't have a personal problem with this. I just think it establishes a pattern for a person. It shows their character just as a lot of other choices show a man's character. And it is a felony that could lead to jail time which is a major risk when you're investing millions in a guy.

And to some of the other points in this thread - weed isn't physically addictive, but it's psychologically addictive for many. So I'd really have to take a close look at a player to understand if the addiction is the center of his life. For most drug users it is.

And everything's a drug in this world from sugar to alcohol to relationships. Everyone's trying to escape something in this world. And nothings worse than anything else. It's all bad. We're all bad. I just hope the Steelers find guys that aren't trying to escape something. And guys that truly love the game and want to give everything they've got to be successful.

But that's a really hard thing to find because this is a violent game. You've gotta be a little crazy to play at this level. And in that context, what does weed really hurt?