Thread: Sometimes players that play for a small college are overlooked in the Draft

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Sometimes players that play for a small college are overlooked in the Draft

It happens every year, even the experts miss on good players from the smaller college that become good NFL players.
    The Steelers in paticular seem to find some of these gems that are overlooked and we might see that this year when no one else is paying attention.

Here is a few of Steelers who fit that criteria:

1. Cortez Allen......Citadel

2. Antonio Brown......Central Michigan

3. Kevin Beachum/ Emmanual Sanders......Southern Methodist

4. Mclendon.......Troy

5. Ike Taylor........Louisanna-Lafayette

6. James Harrison..........Kent State

7. Big Ben..........Miami (OH)

The big name players and college's are in the limelight when discussing the draft, and we also as fans get caught up in that.
    That's why its important to have good evaluators of talent, something the Steelers usually do well at.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It's one's own perspective, I guess. Personally, I don't consider any of those schools you mentioned... small...They all have pretty good programs. Some other good programs include: App. State, William & Mary, Old Dominion, and Florida.. hehe, I mean James Madison. And then you have my alma mater East Carolina, who is now going to the much maligned Big East with Temple, UCF, Houston, etc.... Is my school considered 'small'? Ask CJ, and Vonte Leach as well as Linval Joseph that... The scouts go where they need to go.
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I would hardly classify Big Ben as overlooked.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    It's one's own perspective, I guess. Personally, I don't consider any of those schools you mentioned... small...They all have pretty good programs. Some other good programs include: App. State, William & Mary, Old Dominion, and Florida.. hehe, I mean James Madison. And then you have my alma mater East Carolina, who is now going to the much maligned Big East with Temple, UCF, Houston, etc.... Is my school considered 'small'? Ask CJ, and Vonte Leach as well as Linval Joseph that... The scouts go where they need to go.
    You mention App State. I went to the Georgia Southern App State game this year and watched a freshman phenom at WR. I said to myself this guy could play for any major program in the country...big ( 6 foot 3 ish)...track fast...crazy leaping ability and body control. I was wondering how App State got him...and guess the guy just got convinced to try out for his high school football team...only been playing a year or so. Major programs missed this guy. It happens.
    Trolls are people too.