Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Is this really a deep draft?

  1. #1
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026

    Is this really a deep draft?

    I mean, no franchise QB to speak of, at least not on paper at this point. (Surely some QB will come from this draft who is special, but not many can name who it is at this point.)

    No RBs worth taking in the first round and only a few even worth 2nd round picks, maybe only 1!

    No extremely talented CB that I see. No Patrick Peterson of Darelle Revis that I see.

    There are a couple of DE who seem decent, but no super talented, dominating DE that I see.

    I don't see any AJ Green or Julio Jones level WRs either.

    So where is all this depth that some say this draft has?

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer Dee Dub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,534
    Elite talent at specific positions has nothing to do with depth. Those are two different things. Every year the draft has depth in certain positions. I think this year there is depth at WR, OLB/DE, and CB.

    I think you are wrong about no Darelle Revis in this draft. I think Dee Milliner and Desmond Trufant are going to be special at the next level. And have you forgotten, no one really knew Revis was going to be as good as he turned out. He went 14th overall.

    And I will say it over and over and over. Matt Barkley is going to be a franchise QB. He may not get drafted as one but not long from now he will be a franchise QB. Prediction: on his pro-day he is going to show the NFL that his arm is a lot stronger that what many had thought. He is a better QB at this point than Matthew Stafford was.


    Steelers 2014 Draft

    1--Justin Gilbert CB Oklahoma State
    2--Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3-- -- Traded --
    3B--C.J. Fiedorwicz TE Iowa
    4--Jordan Tripp ILB Montana
    5--Brent Urban DE Virginia
    6--Michael Schofield OT Michigan
    7--Kadeem Edwards OG Tennessee State









  3. #3
    Fantastic depth in OT, DT, CB, WR, TE, OLB. Eddie Lacy will be a top 20 RB. Cordarelle Patterson will be a top 15 WR. Dee Milliner is a top 8 CB.
    Trade our 1/15 to SF for 1/29 & 2/56

    1) Kyle Fuller-CB-Va Tech
    2) Jordan Mathews-WR-Vandy
    2) Brandon Thomas-OL-Clemson
    3c) Kelsey Quarles-DE-South Carolina
    4) Lache Seastrunk-RB-Baylor
    5))Prince Shembo-OLB-Notre Dame
    5c) Khyri Thornton-DT-Southern Miss
    6) Aron Colvin-DB-Oklahoma
    6c)Max BulloughILB-Mich St
    7) Henry Josey-RB-Missouri













  4. #4
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,232
    It's always a deep draft, yet the number of college teams and players never fluctuate. I think it's a silly notion to call a draft deep.

  5. #5
    Pro Bowler BigRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    I mean, no franchise QB to speak of, at least not on paper at this point. (Surely some QB will come from this draft who is special, but not many can name who it is at this point.)

    No RBs worth taking in the first round and only a few even worth 2nd round picks, maybe only 1!

    No extremely talented CB that I see. No Patrick Peterson of Darelle Revis that I see.

    There are a couple of DE who seem decent, but no super talented, dominating DE that I see.

    I don't see any AJ Green or Julio Jones level WRs either.

    So where is all this depth that some say this draft has?
    I forget which GM said it, but he said there was at least 6 starting quality safeties in this draft. That's deep.
    Here comes the BOOM!

  6. #6
    Plenty deep enough. It will become clearer how to take advantage of it when the FA signings get going in a couple weeks.

  7. #7
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee Dub View Post
    Elite talent at specific positions has nothing to do with depth. Those are two different things. Every year the draft has depth in certain positions. I think this year there is depth at WR, OLB/DE, and CB.

    I think you are wrong about no Darelle Revis in this draft. I think Dee Milliner and Desmond Trufant are going to be special at the next level. And have you forgotten, no one really knew Revis was going to be as good as he turned out. He went 14th overall.

    And I will say it over and over and over. Matt Barkley is going to be a franchise QB. He may not get drafted as one but not long from now he will be a franchise QB. Prediction: on his pro-day he is going to show the NFL that his arm is a lot stronger that what many had thought. He is a better QB at this point than Matthew Stafford was.
    You are somewhat correct that elite players and depth in draft are not the same thing. However, top, top players SHOULD be included in a draft that has supposed depth. If all a draft did was provide so so players, but a lot of them, I do not consider that to be a draft with depth. And even if Barkley is better at this point than was Stafford, I am not convinced that proves all that much; Stafford has been a mediocre QB so far; last season was not very impressive at all. And also, Revis was considered to be potentially very special, just not by everyone. A CB going 14th still indicates a fairly high evaluation. The QB class looks really ragged and so do the RBs. And, put it this way: Having the #1 pick is a burden this year, not a blessing. Even the supposed top pick is now being downgraded.

  8. #8
    Pro Bowler
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,026
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Plenty deep enough. It will become clearer how to take advantage of it when the FA signings get going in a couple weeks.
    Actually, I think it should be plenty clear right now since we know Pgh will not sign more than one token free agent. Or do you mean, "clear" in that other teams signing FAs will show us which teams will NOT be pursuing same positions in the draft?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by lloydroid View Post
    Actually, I think it should be plenty clear right now since we know Pgh will not sign more than one token free agent. Or do you mean, "clear" in that other teams signing FAs will show us which teams will NOT be pursuing same positions in the draft?
    Actually, I had overlooked that angle.

    I was simply thinking that in order to come up with a sound draft plan, you have to know for almost certain who is going to be here and who is not.

    But I see your point. Not many, but a few mocks have teams like the Dolphins or the Rams taking a WR rd 1. They draft 12 and 16. If they pick up a top WR in FA that would increase the Steelers chances of getting their WR of choice if that is what they have planned.

    Talk about coincidence. To check where those teams drafted I just took a look at the latest mock on draftace.com. They had the Dolphins taking Star Lotulelei at 12 and STL taking Jonathan Cooper at 16. Then he says he is going out on a limb and taking Cordarrelle Patterson at 17.

    Of course this is based on speculation. [Wallace going] However, in a few weeks that will not be speculation. That is what I was saying.

    I would probably agree with that pick. But, then again, Patterson would also have to be ranked as the BPA, since WR would not be the only position of need.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •