Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wexell Article on Vaccaro

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Vaccaro is a safe pick, but not a spectacular pick. He isn't elite in any area but he is solid all around. He will be a productive starter, but doubt he makes many if any pro bowls. I would rather go for a guy with home run ability to rush the passer.
    I don't think he is safe at all really. He is a little stiff and has very little recent tape of him actually playing the back half like a true safety. Now, he is a very good athlete and has good size. He also does pretty well covering slot receivers (which is impressive). But, for me, there are a lot of question marks.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    The guys on the network are raving about his coverage skills. I'm personally not sold on him at #17. I don't think the drop off is that great in 2-3.

If S is a priority...I think there is better value with Reid in the 2nd than Vacarro in the 1st @ FS. I also like Cyprien & Elam in the 2nd @ SS.
    or even J. J. Wilcox in the 3rd-5th.

very good safety depth this year. unless you are sure about Vaccaro, there is no reason to reach for a safety this year. i agree with you.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    I don't think he is safe at all really. He is a little stiff and has very little recent tape of him actually playing the back half like a true safety. Now, he is a very good athlete and has good size. He also does pretty well covering slot receivers (which is impressive). But, for me, there are a lot of question marks.
    I said this same thing a few months ago. Texas used him a lot up near the LOS where a lot of the time he was lined up over the slot. It is good that he can cover a slot WR but for the Steelers, who have Troy Polamalu, they need a safety who can cover the deep 3rd. Didn't see much of that from Vacarro. And it is a whole different thing coming forward or going deep sideline over the top than it is backpedaling off of a slot receiver.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

2013 NFL Draft: S Kenny Vaccaro met with Steelers, possible target at 17

By Neal Coolong on Mar 2 2013
    USA TODAY Sports

Texas safety prospect Kenny Vaccaro met with the Steelers at the NFL Combine last week, bringing back a humorous story from training camp about a conversation between Ryan Clark and Mike Tomlin.

Steel City Insider publisher Jim Wexell brought up a story from 2012 training camp where Steelers safety Ryan Clark was jawing at Steelers coach Mike Tomlin after a failed play.

"If your quarterback is gonna hang onto the ball that long, you better draft some more offensive linemen next year!"

Tomlin responded, "I'm going safety. Free safety!"

It was all in good fun - or at least not all seriousness - with Clark providing a timely jab at the Steelers' recent draft history. But as Wexell connects the past to the present in pointing out the Steelers met with Texas safety Kenny Vaccaro at the NFL Combine this past week, it very well could end up that way.

Vaccaro met with the Steelers behind closed doors, likely being dissected by Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau (who told BTSC he would like the team to add a young safety this offseason). While Vaccaro didn't set college football on its collective head with interceptions, he showed he has the size and willingness to support the run and the ability to cover slot receivers - a critical attribute of a successful safety in today's NFL.

But safeties who get drafted that high show more playmaking ability. The question teams are going to ask themselves when they're on the clock is whether Vaccaro is more of your traditional free safety, or one who is dynamic enough to play all over the field and make things happen.

The Steelers were at least curious enough to sit down with him to see what kind of guy he is.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/3/2/4056260/2013-nfl-draft-steelers-prospects-safety-kenny-vaccaro-combine[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha