Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would Ben Take one on the Chin for the Team Like brady did?

Legend

User Info Menu

I have to wonder if this extension is legit. I wonder if this is some sort of cap move with a clause somewhere in the contract that allows Brady to opt out of the extension years.

Apparently, there is plenty of speculation:

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/26/teams-agents-wonder-about-brady-deal/[/URL]

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

What I find most annoying regarding spygate was the focus was only put on the tapes/taping/person taping....and not on the person using those tapes. Not once did i hear on ESPN the name Ernie Adams. In the AFCCG vs. the Cheats Ben's rookie year our offensive players said the Cheats were calling out what play was coming with a high level of accuracy.

Take Brady out of that system and he is a good but not great QB. Matt Cassel went 11-5 in that system and look at him since leaving there.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    statement stater
    That's a phrase you don't see very often. Well played.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Talking about hometown discounts for a minute, looks like Joe Flacco wants to pull up a brinks truck in his demands of the Ravens.
    They might end up putting the tag on him, paying him 20 mill a year will hurt their ability to sign other players to keep them on top.

Just to compare contracts, Ben signed his contract for eight years @ 102 million which averages 12.75 a year, Flacco wants 20 mill a year for a five year contract I'm hearing. The Ravens are usually good with the finances so I don't know if they would be willing to meet his demands and franchise him instead which might end up being the right decision.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    Have to disagree. He (and that entire scummy organization) raped us twice during AFCCGs. As well as raping the Rams, Panthers & Eagles in SBs.
    sad but true

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    Talking about hometown discounts for a minute, looks like Joe Flacco wants to pull up a brinks truck in his demands of the Ravens.
    They might end up putting the tag on him, paying him 20 mill a year will hurt their ability to sign other players to keep them on top.

Just to compare contracts, Ben signed his contract for eight years @ 102 million which averages 12.75 a year, Flacco wants 20 mill a year for a five year contract I'm hearing. The Ravens are usually good with the finances so I don't know if they would be willing to meet his demands and franchise him instead which might end up being the right decision.
    The Steelers locked up Ben early, which was smart. Flacco has plenty of leverage in Baltimore. Not only is he coming off a SB win, but if he isn't given the exclusive tag, another team could grab him in a year where there are no sure fire, elite QBs in the draft. If he is given the exclusive tag, the cost to keep him next year would jump to something like $24 million.

I get the sense that he was po'd that they didn't extend him earlier and wants to get paid now. And I hope they pay him a fortune!

Legend

User Info Menu

Flacco has the Ravens in a tough spot.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Flacco has the Ravens in a tough spot.

Word! Ray lewis retired along with their center Matt Birk, now if they pay Flacco they will have problems signing Boldin, Reed, and the rest, so its doubtful they will be able to maintain a Super Bowl caliber team. I'm not even worried about the Rats next season, the Bengals are on the rise and have cap room so it should be a dog fight from start to finish in the North division.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Tom Brady gets $30 million to sign

So much for less money.

The new contract signed Monday by Pats quarterback [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1163/tom-brady"]Tom Brady[/URL] pays him $27 million total over the final three years. But he was paid $30 million as a bonus for applying his name to the dotted line at the bottom of the document.

Per a source with knowledge of the contract, Brady received a $30 million signing bonus. He’ll also receive a base salary of $1 million this year and $2 million in 2014.
    This device, given the three new contract years, results in a cap number of $13.8 million in 2013 — $8 million less than the cap number under his prior deal. Of that amount, $6.8 million comes from past contracts. Another $6 million comes from the initial proration of the new signing bonus.

Next year, the cap number increases to $14.8 million.

The cap numbers for 2015, 2016, and 2017 will be $13 million, $14 million, and $15 million, respectively. In each year, $6 million is attributed to the $30 million signing bonus.

Over the next two years, Brady will make $33 million. Which is $3 million more than the $30 million he was due to earn under the prior deal.

And he gets $30 million of it now.

Less money, indeed.

Wow, he was so altruistic. He didn't take less money. They just structured it smartly.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Rookie

User Info Menu

That being the case, I'm positive Ben would "take one on the chin"...